British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   After 3 years we leaving (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/after-3-years-we-leaving-733327/)

kirstya Sep 23rd 2011 12:23 am

After 3 years we leaving

So after the grief and hassle that is CIC and there dumb and corrupt ways we are leaving. We spoke to a very good and expensive lawyer , and it would cost us about $20k to take CIC to court and then its a lottery if we would actualy win or not, even tho we have a very good case. Had all the transcripts of various phone calls which just shows how useless and full of BS CIC are.

So we leaving in January and are off to Italy. They gave us 90 days to leave the country before they deport us, but the lawyer gave us a way to stall for a few months so we can spend a last christmas here. We dont want to be deported either as we need to return in the summer for the book tour.

Thanks CIC for ruining someones dreams. Things as important as this shouldnt be based on whatever mood the person is CIC is in :thumbdown:

So thanks for a good time Canada but now new shores are calling, will see you for a short visit in the summer.:fingerscrossed:

AmyDavid Sep 23rd 2011 12:41 am

Re: After 3 years we leaving

Originally Posted by kirstya (Post 9637153)
So after the grief and hassle that is CIC and there dumb and corrupt ways we are leaving. We spoke to a very good and expensive lawyer , and it would cost us about $20k to take CIC to court and then its a lottery if we would actualy win or not, even tho we have a very good case. Had all the transcripts of various phone calls which just shows how useless and full of BS CIC are.

So we leaving in January and are off to Italy. They gave us 90 days to leave the country before they deport us, but the lawyer gave us a way to stall for a few months so we can spend a last christmas here. We dont want to be deported either as we need to return in the summer for the book tour.

Thanks CIC for ruining someones dreams. Things as important as this shouldnt be based on whatever mood the person is CIC is in :thumbdown:

So thanks for a good time Canada but now new shores are calling, will see you for a short visit in the summer.:fingerscrossed:

What on earth happened? I thought you had PR now?

kirstya Sep 23rd 2011 3:01 am

Originally Posted by AmyDavid (Post 9637169)
What on earth happened? I thought you had PR now?

people in CIC messed up and messed up some more everything got delayed and tuff titty on us. We didnt do anything wrong, we never even filled a form incorrectly. Yet due to mistakes there end we must suffer.

To make matters worse I was meant to go to the UK yesterday for a friends wedding but had to cancel as CIC said if I was to leave I wouldnt be able to return. Just found out today from the lawyer this was BS as i had written things from them from the week before saying it was OK to leave and return.

Apparently these kinda things are happening more and more often CIC delay and lose stuff on purpose. We know a doctor working at the hospital who has been waiting 4yrs for something that should of taken a couple of months. So they stuck here in Limbo. And the lawyer tells us its becoming more and more common.

AmyDavid Sep 23rd 2011 9:40 am

Originally Posted by kirstya (Post 9637323)
people in CIC messed up and messed up some more everything got delayed and tuff titty on us. We didnt do anything wrong, we never even filled a form incorrectly. Yet due to mistakes there end we must suffer.

To make matters worse I was meant to go to the UK yesterday for a friends wedding but had to cancel as CIC said if I was to leave I wouldnt be able to return. Just found out today from the lawyer this was BS as i had written things from them from the week before saying it was OK to leave and return.

Apparently these kinda things are happening more and more often CIC delay and lose stuff on purpose. We know a doctor working at the hospital who has been waiting 4yrs for something that should of taken a couple of months. So they stuck here in Limbo. And the lawyer tells us its becoming more and more common.

Oh no :frown: And there is nothing that can be done (other than trying to take them to court)? That is really bad and I am sorry they have forced your hand to leave x

clay Sep 23rd 2011 9:51 am

Sorry to hear about your bad news.... how come after 3 years living in canada the authorities want to deport you ? on what grounds ?

Gremmie Sep 23rd 2011 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by kirstya (Post 9637323)

So why are you being " thrown out" this also happend last Friday to one of my drivers wife, she's American and was deported, paperwork has been in 31/2 years and no word till now. Cops and immigration turned up and packed her off back to USA leaving him and the kids ???

ExKiwilass Sep 23rd 2011 6:05 pm

Conservatives are getting tough perhaps? They seem to be big on 'getting on tough on crime/immigration fraud etc.

kirstya Sep 24th 2011 12:06 am

our TWP ran out a year ago
6 months before it ran out we had applied for a new one
also had applied and been accepted for PNP but hadnt got PR yet as BIG delays there end

anyway to cut a long long story short they delayed everything again and again , then turned round and said well without a valid TWP (cos it ran out and they delayed replacing it) you cant continue with the PNP process.

So we did nothing wrong we have friends who did excactly the same as us at the same time they have had residency for well over a year now. So its all about luck , something like this shouldnt be anything to do with luck :thumbdown:
Basicaly we are back to where we were 2yrs ago before we even applied for PNP at least then we had a valid work permit.
Oh they also want a brand spanking new LMO (which isnt going to happen in this town in this economy) Doesnt matter that it was all valid and new when i applied :confused: It used to but now things are changing.

Apparently we can delay and stall for another year and stay here but eventualy the paperwork will run out and we back to where we started. Been told we have a very very strong court case but will cost upwards of $20k and then its all about luck if you win or not.

Well the books out in June in the UK with harper collins, Canada still TBD (surprise surprise) so not all bad. I have that to look forward that and moving to Italy.

Gremmie Sep 26th 2011 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by kirstya (Post 9639054)
also had applied and been accepted for PNP but hadnt got PR yet as BIG delays there end

anyway to cut a long long story short they delayed everything again and again , then turned round and said well without a valid TWP (cos it ran out and they delayed replacing it) you cant continue with the PNP process.

So we did nothing wrong we have friends who did excactly the same as us at the same time they have had residency for well over a year now. So its all about luck , something like this shouldnt be anything to do with luck :thumbdown:
Basicaly we are back to where we were 2yrs ago before we even applied for PNP at least then we had a valid work permit.
Oh they also want a brand spanking new LMO (which isnt going to happen in this town in this economy) Doesnt matter that it was all valid and new when i applied :confused: It used to but now things are changing.

Apparently we can delay and stall for another year and stay here but eventualy the paperwork will run out and we back to where we started. Been told we have a very very strong court case but will cost upwards of $20k and then its all about luck if you win or not.

Well the books out in June in the UK with harper collins, Canada still TBD (surprise surprise) so not all bad. I have that to look forward that and moving to Italy.

So 2 years on a Temporary Work permit and for 18 months you submitted no paperwork :confused::confused: and you blame CIC for delaying:blink::blink: I think its you who delayed and the clock ran down to zero.

MikeUK Sep 26th 2011 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Gremmie (Post 9642353)
So 2 years on a Temporary Work permit and for 18 months you submitted no paperwork :confused::confused: and you blame CIC for delaying:blink::blink: I think its you who delayed and the clock ran down to zero.

Originally Posted by kirstya (Post 9639054)

Requesting a new work permit 6mths ahead doesn’t look like delaying to me..

This just reeks of the general incompetence you find in Canadian government departments..

iaink Sep 26th 2011 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Gremmie (Post 9642624)
I just wonder which bit of " Temporary" people dont understand:blink::confused::blink: Get your paperwork in asap and at the same time apply for a WP extension if you think the proces times are to slow. Dont do bugger all for 18 months then cry when the clock hits zero:blink:

Did you even read the post? 6 months is plenty of time to renew a work permit, and they had been accepted for a PNP place, only CIC screwed up. Its not like they had done nothing.

Seriously, give your head a shake, have some empathy for once.

Auld Yin Sep 26th 2011 5:33 pm

Has it entered anyone else's mind that the OP may not be telling the full story here? After 50 one becomes a sceptic or a cynic or a combination of both.

Gremmie Sep 26th 2011 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by Auld Yin (Post 9642830)
Has it entered anyone else's mind that the OP may not be telling the full story here? After 50 one becomes a sceptic or a cynic or a combination of both.

For my cynicism I got blasted:unsure::o yet again:confused:

MikeUK Sep 26th 2011 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by Auld Yin (Post 9642830)

But having personally spent time going from a TWP to PR..

Being told once that they wouldn't renew a TWP after a year in my first job and having the company legal counsel point out that the LMO was still valid, and the employment terms were still valid in order to get them to renew it.

And again in my second job getting told that they wouldn't renew a TWP for a 4th year if I didn't apply for PR, we considered arguing but the legal counsel decided that overall it would be safer to spend the $1000+ CAD to apply for PR via spousal which was in their opinion almost guaranteed, than fight for the TWP to which in 'their' legal opinion I was entitled too, but had no guarantee of winning in a timely or cost effective manner.

Based on my own limited experience, I believe that parts of the CIC set their work standards on a very similar level to many other departments I have experienced within the Canadian government...

Yes, I could have got off my arse at the time and applied for my PR when I first returned to the second job in Canada. But to be honest,I was only staying as long as the job lasted, I could get as good If not better terms outside of Canada, and if I’d known at the time how much my Canadian wife wanted to return to Europe, we might have just gone back then and there and not even bothered with the PR, but hey, work paid, I found a nice house in the country and now I might consider staying for a bit longer

ExKiwilass Sep 26th 2011 10:09 pm

my experience has been that the canadian government is overly bureaucratic, slow, ineffective, completely lacking in customer service or focus, and slow. did i mention slow. However I haven't found them to be corrupt or incompetent to the level kirstya is claiming - maybe i've been lucky.