Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

3 things to feel settled quickly ...

3 things to feel settled quickly ...

Old Mar 30th 2011, 1:55 am
Adapting slowly...

Funky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of light
Default 3 things to feel settled quickly ...

I've been spending much too long on these forums than is probably good for me! I've been doing a lot of reading in the "going to Canada" as well as the "coming back to the UK" forums and it seems that things don't always go as expected/hoped for.

So that got me thinking. We're heading to BC at the end of June (providing the house sale doesn't fall through again) and are really looking forward to it. My question is, once jobs and a place to live is sorted, what can we do that will make us feel at home in Canada?

What are the three things that we can do which will make us feel settled?
Old Mar 30th 2011, 2:07 am
BE Enthusiast

mardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 things to feel settled quickly ...

personally I found volunteering, kids in hockey and English friends to get drunk with did it for me!

Good luck with the house sale and hope it all works out for you
Old Mar 30th 2011, 2:19 am
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

Hi

We found when our shipped goods arrived it helped make the house feel more like home.

I would have to say I dont feel settled yet......not wanting to sound negative but finding the job is the first thing which will make me feel settled (in my opinion). I did mean to say "the job". I know I wont feel settled till my income exceed my outgoings so we dont rely on our savings....that I associate with the UK.

Cheers

JB

Last edited by JB0591; Mar 30th 2011 at 2:50 am. Reason: "you" to "me"
Old Mar 30th 2011, 2:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Funky Florist
What are the three things that we can do which will make us feel settled?
1) Stop comparing everything to "home"

2) Get stuck in with your local community and embrace your new life

3) Don't surround yourself with nothing but ex-pats. They may help you more comfortable in the short term but IMVHO, the newbies that struggle to settle are invariably those that don't live outside little britain. By all means have friends that are ex-pats but don't only have ex-pats as friends.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 2:37 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian

3) Don't surround yourself with nothing but ex-pats. They may help you more comfortable in the short term but IMVHO, the newbies that struggle to settle are invariably those that don't live outside little britain. By all means have friends that are ex-pats but don't only have ex-pats as friends.
^^^
What he said!
Old Mar 30th 2011, 2:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Winston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really nice

Some good advice here on this thread. To add to it I would say do things as a family and don't fret to much about trying to make friends either expat or Canadian. Friends will come along as the journey unfolds. Enjoy yourselves and your new country. Lots will be different than the UK some things better some worse just don't take it all to seriously.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 2:40 am
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

After being here for 8 years nearly, i can pass on the following which helped me.

Really intergrate yourself into your new town. Go out and see new things, getting to know your surroundings is a great adventure for the whole family.

Volunteering is good, you do get to know new people which helps.

Im airing on the side of caution when it comes to suggesting going to British expat meetups, as they tend to be the same bunch of people every month complaining about how Canada isnt England and how they miss Marmite and Suet pudding, However.....I have one British freind that i met on this very website and we are inseperable. he is more like family to me. He lived in the same county as me so really gets when im down and how im feeling. The rest of my freind are Canadians of all different backgrounds and I think thats important. sometimes when im feeling down and low about Canada and getting peeved with its ways i only have to look at my very patriotic Canuck mates for some inspiration.

If you get homesick then let is come, dont try and avoid it, it will only catch up with you eventually. homesickness sucks big time! and you will find your own way of dealing with it. I generally shut the curtains make a Yorkshire tea, get a over priced pack of hobnobs from the British Store and chuck on some British Telly DVD's and have a good cry. If its really bad i book a trip home and get my Essex fix. When my homesickness was at its worst i used to say "thats it im going home" but i always told myself if i still felt the same way in 3/6 months id go. and so far i never have. A project is a good distraction.

Finding a job that you like is really important too, remember we are at work more than were at home, so you gotta love your job, or at least tolerate it.

And finally remember why you came, the passion you had for wanting to be here and that your living the dream!
Old Mar 30th 2011, 2:48 am
Adapting slowly...

Funky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks everyone - really good tips so far! It's so easy to read the extremes on these forums - both positive and negative. These kinds of tips are great and I'm so grateful to everyone. Keep them coming!
Old Mar 30th 2011, 2:53 am
BE Enthusiast

LucyLovelock is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree to the above, but definately immerse yourself in the Canadian way of life, you dont need English friends to get drunk with! The Canadians know how to have fun for sure! Volunteering is HUGE out here. Get stuck in with that and you will soon make friends.
I also joined a ladies soccer team and its the most fun I have ever had! Never played before but had the confidence to try it out here!
Good luck!!!
Old Mar 30th 2011, 2:54 am
BE Enthusiast

minimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian

I agree with the above. Canada is not England and never will be. Once you can get past that, you'll be fine
Old Mar 30th 2011, 2:58 am
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

1) Once there, remind yourself mentally/constantly that you are there to stay and not just visiting/on holiday, so view each new local discovery, stores, government offices, fuel stations, schools etc. with a permanent aspect rather than a temporary one.
2) Join local sports, social groups, drinking clubs (whatever fits your fitness lifestyle )
3) Ditto! On the suggestion of not surrounding yourself with ex-pats. It's not like you have language barrier to overcome.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 3:02 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

1. Job your happy with
2. House and school sorted ( where applicable )
3. Routine
4. Never meet ex-pats.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 3:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Winston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really nice

I would not go as far as to never meet expats. More than half of my friends here are expats. They are work mates as well so I do see them most days. We all arrived about the same time so have discovered nova scotia together and it has been a good laugh hearing each others adventures. Like everything in life it is a balance after all everything in moderation is what the doctor ordered.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 3:47 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

FF - which bit of Van are you heading to
Old Mar 30th 2011, 3:48 am
Adapting slowly...

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
FF - which bit of Van are you heading to
We're going to be a little outside - probably Fort Langley or Walnut Grove ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.