Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

$300 fine for ciggy butt!!

$300 fine for ciggy butt!!

Old Nov 29th 2009, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $300 fine for ciggy butt!!

LOL

Those coffin nails are made just to pollute the universe. Smoke/stink/ash/butts all over the world.
If it's too dirty/smelly for your car, why is it OK for my street?

Smoking encourages scabby behaviour.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 7:01 am
Chris

crispybacon is just really nicecrispybacon is just really nicecrispybacon is just really nicecrispybacon is just really nicecrispybacon is just really nicecrispybacon is just really nicecrispybacon is just really nicecrispybacon is just really nice

Originally Posted by mo33
Probably get floored by the do-gooders but i don't care!
Got a $300 fine for throwing a ciggy butt out of the car window!! Robbing barstewards!!
Heard all the comments about startin a bushfire etc...... nowhere near any greenery. Anyway $300 would buy a lot of little baby trees from bunnings

Get a life and report those who are a real danger on the roads! Let me have a bloody smoke in peace.

Just bought an ashtray to put my butts in but the car stinks!
Not a do gooder and I can't help thinking you have put this comment on as a wind up. Haven't you? If not I can't say I have any sympathy. Where do you think you ciggy butt ends up once you have thrown it out of the car? Why do smokers not see their butt ends as litter? Glad you bought an ashtray and sorry you don't like the smell but I guess it comes with the territory.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 7:05 am
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad

So $6 Billion not $1 billion in tax a year and that was 2005.

Bearing in mind smokers also pay income tax and all the other taxes, I think they pay their way as regards health care.

JTL
Still a hefty deficit then compared to the cost of smoking related disease - and they'd still have to pay tax even if they didnt smoke so not sure you can add that into the mix really!
Old Nov 29th 2009, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

BUT, do you people not realise that the taxes already paid by smokers are funding all your hospitals already?

So when you go in for your hip op, the nurses are being paid for by smokers. So I've never really understood this 'holier than thou' attitude that smokers should just be left to die.
Coz nobody else but smokers pay taxes right? LOL what a crappy argument.

I'd like to see hospitals just for smokers- we'll see how society feels about it, I bet nobody would even work there.

And nobody says smokers should be left to die. Not seriously.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 7:07 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

If it wasn't economical for the government, you know they'd squash it in 5 seconds. So they're doing just fine out of smokers.

JTL
....... and us drinkers too!!!
Old Nov 29th 2009, 7:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seven seas
And nobody says smokers should be left to die. Not seriously.
There have been instances of smokers refused translants unless they stopped smoking. i.e. leaving them to die.

Of course, what nobody seems to appreciate is its the thin edge of the wedge. They refuse liver transplants for alchoholics too.

Then it's refusing heart transplants for fat people.

It'll just go on and on until you'll only be treated if you drink fresh mineral water every day and eat raw carrots.

JTL
Old Nov 29th 2009, 7:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Coz nobody else but smokers pay taxes right? LOL what a crappy argument.
Well just as a thought game, I'm not saying its true:

Imagine I've been paying 10 times as much tax as you all my life. But I smoke. And we both turn up at hospital.

Who gets priority?

Does the amount of tax I piled in to the health system mean that others get priority over me because of my lifestyle?

Does that sound right, or do we start a 'means tested' health system?

JTL
Old Nov 29th 2009, 7:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

LOL

Those coffin nails are made just to pollute the universe. Smoke/stink/ash/butts all over the world.
If it's too dirty/smelly for your car, why is it OK for my street?

Smoking encourages scabby behaviour.
Have to admit, can't see how smoking can ever be anything but scabby. I only have to hold one for awhile and the stink transfers everywhere. I did go for a short phase - weeks - where I gave it a go and the stink pissed me off.

I've met some people who are not too shabby in the old deportment department who put on a good show at all sorts of events but you wonder a bit about their homes and what goes on out of the public eye!! Do they revert to the Wayne and Henrietta school of behaviour? Do they smoke in bed? Has this fallen out of fashion - and do smokers now go outside even in their own homes?

But then I scratch my balls when noone is looking.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 7:28 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mo33
Hey before i am sentenced to death, i'd like to explain...

It wasn't me, it was a passenger in my car. She threw out the butt, i got the notice thru the post, i had to do a stat dec thing to say it was my passenger for which she got the right hump!! She had to cough up the fine. She then bought a dollar ashtray thing for her car, defo learnt her lesson.
Probably even worse then. Had you lobbed it, it would be in the road, with her lobbing it, it's even more likely to start a bush fire.

And saying that everyone who says good is a dogooder is daft. The majority who have said good are concerned about bushfires, the litter issue is secondary, in this respect and in this country anyway.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 7:35 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

The only smoking I do is friction induced
Old Nov 29th 2009, 7:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Have to admit, can't see how smoking can ever be anything but scabby. I only have to hold one for awhile and the stink transfers everywhere. I did go for a short phase - weeks - where I gave it a go and the stink pissed me off.

I've met some people who are not too shabby in the old deportment department who put on a good show at all sorts of events but you wonder a bit about their homes and what goes on out of the public eye!! Do they revert to the Wayne and Henrietta school of behaviour? Do they smoke in bed? Has this fallen out of fashion - and do smokers now go outside even in their own homes?

But then I scratch my balls when noone is looking.
Lots of stereotypes in there.

I've smoked on and off for 20 years, but never in a house or definitely not in bed. So I've always gone outside for a puff.

Second nature to me.

And it breaks up the routine, whether its work or home, I get to go outside for 5 minutes.

JTL

and its wayne and waynetta by the way.

and we all know you scratch your balls.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 8:02 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

My dad used to smoke in bed. He'd even light up in the middle of the night, smoke, stub out and I'm not convinced he was really awake. Never burnt a sheet though, or my mother, weird that. When I smoked, up to 25 years ago I wouldn't smoke in my home, always went outside and always sent the Husband outside to smoke long after I'd given up. I did smoke in the car with the windows open. Husband wasn't allowed though but he didn't start until I stopped so he was stuck with the new rules It is a feral habit and damned expensive now but people will never stop.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 8:02 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Just when was it that it became socially acceptable to class smokers alongside the likes of Attila the Hun?.

They are just people who smoke... they're not throwing babies into the fire... and before anybody asks, no, I don't smoke.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 8:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Just when was it that it became socially acceptable to class smokers alongside the likes of Attila the Hun?.
I think it was about 5 years ago, or depending on the country, whenever they brought in the smoking ban in pubs.

I agree with the smoking ban in pubs, makes them much nicer places, but thats pretty much when it became PC to make smokers social pariahs.

JTL
Old Nov 29th 2009, 8:13 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

I threw a Molotov Cocktail out the window of my car and only got fined $250. So I do think the OP suffered $50 worth of undue anti-smoker prejudice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.