Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Women and their clothes...

Women and their clothes...

Old Mar 11th 2010, 8:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Women and their clothes...

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Nope, not by me. Nor would you be slagged off by me for complaining about your supposedly hour-glass shaped body.

What I don't understand is how a supposedly intelligent woman needs to worry so much about how to show off or cover up her figure in work place. Those who care about how you dress at work, are not worth your time. If I were your friend in the tartan skirt, I would have been quite offended by your view on why I wasn't getting a promotion. But then I probably wouldn't have considered you a friend anyway.

Mrs JTL
She might have been pondering - it might have been a bit of prose. Maybe she's interested in clothes. Maybe she finds her peers lacking. She might have been exaggerating - it was basically - what do you people wear - I suspect she's thinking 'So - it's business as usual'.

I thought you guys had sorted all this out long ago! There should be no need for people to read too much into what somone wears - and I'm not talking about the OP! Maybe that girl in the tartan skirt wore it in such a way she did not look very professional. Other women could probably wear exactly the same items and get away with it. Remember you were not there - she was.
It's not just image - it's the way you interact with people - you are the sum of all of your parts.

I've worked in places where if you wore, say questionable shoes or socks, or a badly fitting suit, someone would have a word with you about it - politely of course. It was expected that only one word was required. What it has meant is that standards in the workplace were raised. I've had a few wardrobe malfunctions over the years - I allow myself to have them precisely because I know I've hit the mark the rest of the time....and I work in IT where I can fly under the radar with ease..doesn't mean I can fly nap of the earth.

Just my 2c!

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Mar 11th 2010 at 8:11 am.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Women and their clothes...

Originally Posted by 5u5an
Fact: women who wear makeup earn more money. The idea is that women who take care of themselves take care of their work, stay up with the times etc. You may live in a utopia but I don't, it's not fair but when are most things.
As I said, and has been previously posted by others, what goes down in tropical Brisbane, doesn't go down well in Melbourne. Just trying to learn ladies, no need to scratch
I've worked in the Corporate world in banking in the Middle East. I'm not sure you can find a more male dominated society/workplace than that.

Hardly used much make up, simply wore what I felt most comfortable in (trousers and a shirt with a scarf thrown in, flat shoes. A coat sometimes if there was a meeting). I did well in my career/high income etc and it had everything to do with my work/performance and little to do with the way I dressed/looked (I border on the ugly...lol).

If you're judged purely on your clothes and make up in your workplace then perhaps that is not the place for you. Work in a place that respects your performance on the job rather than the way you dress/look.