Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Women and their clothes...

Women and their clothes...

Old Mar 8th 2010, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice
Default Re: Women and their clothes...

Originally Posted by No 15
Ha ha, I bet she is a big fat lardy. Women who really do look like that rarely describe themselves as such (if they have any class they certainly don't)
Well that's not suprising coming from a bus...

The idea was to underline the overtly 'bimbo' exterior and the judgemental attitude towards it in certain professions. I was hoping for a little less of it...
Old Mar 8th 2010, 8:12 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

You can say what you like about yourself, 5u5an - it's very entertaining - but why you find the need to slag off other women is beyond me. People in florals, bimbos in QLD, your dowdy colleague - really, love, that's not the sign of a confident woman.

I used to be the rare woman in IT, BTW. In the early 90s I managed a team of men in a company of 500 crusty electronics engineers and battled bearded, be-sandled, egotistical software developers on a daily basis. I was bloody good and my project ended up as a global reference site for the vendor; all this despite my size 8 figure (gawd, those were the days), sharp suits and high heels
Old Mar 8th 2010, 9:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP, if you really are as good professionally as you say you are, there's nothing to worry about. Before I became a full-time mother, I too got a degree in computer enginerring and worked in IT, as a developer.

When I was working in-house, it really didn't matter what I wore, as long as "I" felt comfortable in it. If I wanted to wear floral Laurel Ashley head to toe, no one cared. When I was visiting clients, I dressed the same way as the clients, i.e., just to blend in. Government, banks, airlines, telcos... It didn't matter.

For interviews or meetings with clients for the very first time, I would always wear a suit and heels. Carry the jacket if no one else was wearing one around me.

Oh, just one more thing, describing your figure as "hour-glass" and "playboy bunny" on a public forum isn't a great idea.

Mrs JTL
Old Mar 8th 2010, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

AlanEll is a jewel in the roughAlanEll is a jewel in the roughAlanEll is a jewel in the roughAlanEll is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
To the OP, if you really are as good professionally as you say you are, there's nothing to worry about. Before I became a full-time mother, I too got a degree in computer enginerring and worked in IT, as a developer.

When I was working in-house, it really didn't matter what I wore, as long as "I" felt comfortable in it. If I wanted to wear floral Laurel Ashley head to toe, no one cared. When I was visiting clients, I dressed the same way as the clients, i.e., just to blend in. Government, banks, airlines, telcos... It didn't matter.

For interviews or meetings with clients for the very first time, I would always wear a suit and heels. Carry the jacket if no one else was wearing one around me.

Oh, just one more thing, describing your figure as "hour-glass" and "playboy bunny" on a public forum isn't a great idea.

Mrs JTL
Nicely put Mrs JTL. I have to say that when i interview people for jobs the person with the best experience gets the job. Not the one with nicest outfit! And i'm sure that any bosses worth their salt do the same.

I can't believe i'm joining in with this thread, my wife joined it to begin with and i have found the comments fascinating. ROFL
Old Mar 8th 2010, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice

Originally Posted by Seasider
You can say what you like about yourself, 5u5an - it's very entertaining - but why you find the need to slag off other women is beyond me. People in florals, bimbos in QLD, your dowdy colleague - really, love, that's not the sign of a confident woman.

I used to be the rare woman in IT, BTW. In the early 90s I managed a team of men in a company of 500 crusty electronics engineers and battled bearded, be-sandled, egotistical software developers on a daily basis. I was bloody good and my project ended up as a global reference site for the vendor; all this despite my size 8 figure (gawd, those were the days), sharp suits and high heels
Fantastic, hat off to you, well done... it must have been hard for you to do then but it's not all that easy now either. You think back to how you 'power dressed' - what image were you projecting, or trying to project. I'm personally not going to fall into the big shoulderpads fashion that's sweeping the shops at the moment.

Floral, bimbo, dowdy...there's a time and a place eh, how would have each of these looks gone down in front of your 500 engineers and developers? Sharp suits, stunning figure and sky-scraper heels scream POWER POWER POWER, you're no different from me, but you deny the manipulation and diversion from your femininity and in doing so prevent other women learning from your experiences.

And to JackTheLad... would I have been slagged off for complaining that I was a pear shaped? No way...
Old Mar 8th 2010, 10:23 pm
Account Closed

No 15 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 5u5an
Fantastic, hat off to you, well done... it must have been hard for you to do then but it's not all that easy now either. You think back to how you 'power dressed' - what image were you projecting, or trying to project. I'm personally not going to fall into the big shoulderpads fashion that's sweeping the shops at the moment.

Floral, bimbo, dowdy...there's a time and a place eh, how would have each of these looks gone down in front of your 500 engineers and developers? Sharp suits, stunning figure and sky-scraper heels scream POWER POWER POWER, you're no different from me, but you deny the manipulation and diversion from your femininity and in doing so prevent other women learning from your experiences.

And to JackTheLad... would I have been slagged off for complaining that I was a pear shaped? No way...

And your posts are starting to scream ATTENTION SEEKER, ATTENTION SEEKER, ATTENTION SEEKER.

We've all worked with females like you - and they are a pain in the a88 and spend too much time preening themselves when they should be working <shudder at memories of this>
Old Mar 9th 2010, 4:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

This whole thread reminds me of my time working in Germany. There were four of us from Northern Ireland working for an IT company, and one was what you would call a voluptuous young girl in her early 20's. I was to train her
(in IT )

One night the (german)boss invited us to his house for a meal, and he got pissed, and told the girl he only hired her because at the interview she wore a short skirt and had lovely legs, a big arse and great tits.

The girl held it together during the meal, but she was in tears on the way home. And the boss had to call us all in to his office the next morning and apologise (I think his wife made him apologise).

I've forgotten the point of this story now.

Oh, don't do interviews with Germans. Or else wear a Burka.

JTL

Last edited by JackTheLad; Mar 9th 2010 at 4:52 am.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 6:17 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Sharp suits, stunning figure and sky-scraper heels scream POWER POWER POWER, you're no different from me, but you deny the manipulation and diversion from your femininity and in doing so prevent other women learning from your experiences.
Err, no. You really don't get it. Whether or not you are for real, what you have posted is doing women no favours.

edit: ach, I had a lot more to say but I really can't be arsed.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 6:38 am
Account Closed

No 15 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Seasider
Err, no. You really don't get it. Whether or not you are for real, what you have posted is doing women no favours.

edit: ach, I had a lot more to say but I really can't be arsed.
You don't have to say anymore Seasider. There is class and there is trash and that is the difference between you and Susan.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 6:50 am
Auntie Fa

Really, is it any wonder that when I went back to work last year I was determined not to go back into the corporate world? Working for a charity, wearing shoes is considered dressing up

Ok kids it's been fun, but I've had enough of this thread. I'm off back to talk about bulkhead seats.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 8:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Christ - on the face it of it, some of you are getting a tad wound up, even in the light of the fact the OP has explained the context of her bunny line!

I'm a developer/tech lead/team lead and on percentages, a minority of developers are the scruffiest office workers I have met apart from people in the sort of jobs which they could take or leave (and rather leave). The distrubution curve is wide.

Developers for the banks and consulting firms (in this case by a long shot) are the smartest but there are many who slip through. Of course, being smart is not about the correct type of clothing, or expense, it's cut of cloth, fabric, and fit too....I'd rather see an office person wear a nice shirt and trousers than look like a spiv.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

Boobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really nice

I have to agree with you on your last comment and don't think some of the replies you've had to this thread were called for. I think it may be the case of green eyed monsters.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 4:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Nope, not by me. Nor would you be slagged off by me for complaining about your supposedly hour-glass shaped body.

What I don't understand is how a supposedly intelligent woman needs to worry so much about how to show off or cover up her figure in work place. Those who care about how you dress at work, are not worth your time. If I were your friend in the tartan skirt, I would have been quite offended by your view on why I wasn't getting a promotion. But then I probably wouldn't have considered you a friend anyway.

Mrs JTL
Old Mar 10th 2010, 5:00 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Nope, not by me. Nor would you be slagged off by me for complaining about your supposedly hour-glass shaped body.

What I don't understand is how a supposedly intelligent woman needs to worry so much about how to show off or cover up her figure in work place. Those who care about how you dress at work, are not worth your time. If I were your friend in the tartan skirt, I would have been quite offended by your view on why I wasn't getting a promotion. But then I probably wouldn't have considered you a friend anyway.

Mrs JTL
Bloody well said!
Old Mar 11th 2010, 7:36 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Guys, can we try and keep the views objective please, and leave the personal comments out of it.
Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.