Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Women and their clothes...

Women and their clothes...

Old Mar 5th 2010, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice
Question Women and their clothes...

Hi everyone,

I read with interest a post on here last week about what people would love to have brought out with them from the UK. It seemed that a lot of people mentioned clothing, shoes, bags, undies etc. I'm moving out in 7 weeks (just booked the flights!!!!) with my husband to Sydney. We are bringing 2 suitcases each full of the above and do not intend to ship anything out until we are settled (only books, keepsakes - no furniture or home stuff as we have none anymore). I do need to buy a few new things anyway and our pounds wont go too far in Oz at the moment... what should I buy?

I work as an IT developer and plan to contract. What is the office environment like in Australia? Will I be expected to wear a suit as I do in the UK, or is a more casual approach expected? Obviously these things change from company to company, but I am used to working for multinationals or government where smart grooming is prefered and TBH I feel more professional in myself. I'm a size 10 classic hourglass so suit very fitted clothes but try hard not to overstep the mark into sexy in the workplace, especially in a male-dominated profession where I've seen so many women underestimated because of their fondness for florals (sad but true).

I guess this is can be a hot topic as there's a temptation to generalize, but I'd be interested in personal experiences from people in differences between Australia and the UK - maybe there are none, maybe they are massive, maybe it depends on the state or industry? What do you think?
Old Mar 5th 2010, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Women and their clothes...

Originally Posted by 5u5an
Hi everyone,

I read with interest a post on here last week about what people would love to have brought out with them from the UK. It seemed that a lot of people mentioned clothing, shoes, bags, undies etc. I'm moving out in 7 weeks (just booked the flights!!!!) with my husband to Sydney. We are bringing 2 suitcases each full of the above and do not intend to ship anything out until we are settled (only books, keepsakes - no furniture or home stuff as we have none anymore). I do need to buy a few new things anyway and our pounds wont go too far in Oz at the moment... what should I buy?

I work as an IT developer and plan to contract. What is the office environment like in Australia? Will I be expected to wear a suit as I do in the UK, or is a more casual approach expected? Obviously these things change from company to company, but I am used to working for multinationals or government where smart grooming is prefered and TBH I feel more professional in myself. I'm a size 10 classic hourglass so suit very fitted clothes but try hard not to overstep the mark into sexy in the workplace, especially in a male-dominated profession where I've seen so many women underestimated because of their fondness for florals (sad but true).

I guess this is can be a hot topic as there's a temptation to generalize, but I'd be interested in personal experiences from people in differences between Australia and the UK - maybe there are none, maybe they are massive, maybe it depends on the state or industry? What do you think?
Would personally say get loads of stuff in UK if you have money to transfer.If you're coming with no cash then just buy it here. My experience of buying furniture in Aus, it's more expensive.

What to wear for work in Sydney? Couldn't tell you, as everyone wears shorts n t-shirts or dayglow work clothes where I live lol.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=5u5an;8396187]
I work as an IT developer and plan to contract. QUOTE]

Hmm, it's hard to say..it really depends on where you are working but my husband is an SAP Consultant/Developer and has probably worn a suit twice since we arrived in Aus - but that's just him, some of his colleagues choose to wear them - I would say it's personally preference. When I used to work in the corporate world, women tend to wear smart tops/blouses and suit trousers and skirts (but not the jacket)
Old Mar 5th 2010, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice5u5an is just really nice

[QUOTE=Shellfish;8396211]
I work as an IT developer and plan to contract. QUOTE]

Hmm, it's hard to say..it really depends on where you are working but my husband is an SAP Consultant/Developer and has probably worn a suit twice since we arrived in Aus - but that's just him, some of his colleagues choose to wear them - I would say it's personally preference. When I used to work in the corporate world, women tend to wear smart tops/blouses and suit trousers and skirts (but not the jacket)
Yeah that's another thing, I guess with the better weather a jacket would feel too hot anyway - or do they seriously up the air-con?
Old Mar 5th 2010, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=5u5an;8396214]
Originally Posted by Shellfish

Yeah that's another thing, I guess with the better weather a jacket would feel too hot anyway - or do they seriously up the air-con?
You can still wear a suit in the office, especially if that's what you feel comfortable in. Air con is cool enough. In Brisbane ... high heels are the norm. Professional offices would be suits or suit trousers or skirts (obviously with a top on top?!!) I think you'll be glad of anything you bring over with you as the selection is very same-y. I think because you're familiar with what shops you like it would be easier to get the stuff in the UK. Oh and you'll be arriving into the cooler weather so by the time summer rolls around you can shop again

cheers
shears
Old Mar 5th 2010, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=shears;8396242]
You can still wear a suit in the office, especially if that's what you feel comfortable in. Air con is cool enough. In Brisbane ... high heels are the norm. Professional offices would be suits or suit trousers or skirts (obviously with a top on top?!!) I think you'll be glad of anything you bring over with you as the selection is very same-y. I think because you're familiar with what shops you like it would be easier to get the stuff in the UK. Oh and you'll be arriving into the cooler weather so by the time summer rolls around you can shop again

cheers
shears
I had a feeling about heels in QLD as my friend has had to change since moving there to keep up - hair, nails, fake tan, fake eyelashes even. If I did that here in the UK I'd be a laughing stock...neat and tidy if fine but not OTT, I'd be treated like a bimbo.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=5u5an;8396283]
Originally Posted by shears

I had a feeling about heels in QLD as my friend has had to change since moving there to keep up - hair, nails, fake tan, fake eyelashes even. If I did that here in the UK I'd be a laughing stock...neat and tidy if fine but not OTT, I'd be treated like a bimbo.
not forgetting the eyelash perm ... or eyelash extension (for real, btw!!)
Old Mar 5th 2010, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=shears;8396302]
not forgetting the eyelash perm ... or eyelash extension (for real, btw!!)
lol, I'll have to book that it with the rest of it
Old Mar 5th 2010, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

AlanEll is a jewel in the roughAlanEll is a jewel in the roughAlanEll is a jewel in the roughAlanEll is a jewel in the rough

[QUOTE=5u5an;8396283]

OMG is that QLD or LA, i thought they were more laid back than that in Oz. Glad i'm just a housewife lol
Old Mar 5th 2010, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=AlanEll;8396400]
OMG is that QLD or LA, i thought they were more laid back than that in Oz. Glad i'm just a housewife lol
Yes we're all laid back in Aus . Ask for anything and see how long you have to wait
Old Mar 5th 2010, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

That's the Gold Coast for you, but I found Melbourne had a very different feel.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 9:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Yes, it depends on industry and company to be honest..and the developer/contractor. As an IT contractor I'd expect you'd be fairly blase about all this.

Dress varies - even in companies that have a dress code, it's often standard to modify the rules a bit especially if you are not customer facing.

ie. Men wear chinos and a worrying range of shirts instead of a suit. Maybe even a polyester shirt, or even short-sleeves, or variation thereof. Many bloke dispense with the jacket anyhow - why would you need to wear one sitting at your desk? You're not sitting down to a dinner night.

Personally I wear a cotton shirt, of the quality I would wear if I was wearing a suit -nothing less - and a pair of good quality cotton trousers and good quality all-leather shoes.

The same applies to women. Even in the banks when corporate dress was the norm, women still cracked on with t-shirts under jumpers with skirts and a cracking pair of shoes. You wouldn't even need to buy a whole set of trouser suits or ensembles. I'm not sure if I have the terminology right there!

If you have a size 10 hourglass figure I would not worry about being sexy. Clothes either fit you or they don't. Women would probably kill to be in your boat. I'd probably admire that hour-glass from from a safe distance - I mean - it's not like you are going to be wearing suspenders in the office
Old Mar 5th 2010, 10:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=5u5an;8396283]

I tihnk that is partly a fashion cycle. Women never did all that fake tan/eyelashes 10 years ago. It also depends on the demographic - I find inner city professional women in Melbourne do that less than surburban women.

The switch from the tram to the train is an eye-opener if you are a people watcher!
Old Mar 5th 2010, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

DOn't forget M&S deliver here so you won't be stuck if you want to wait.

In Perth office dress similar to the UK is normal here but as a thread above said many don't wear the suit jacket. That said, the aircon at my section is fierce so I am always in trousers and a shirt and I have a cardi with me too.

Usually head out at lunch to warm up!

Funny thing with our office is that we have dress down day on a Friday. Most usually come in jeans but there are a few who look like they are off to a wedding or ladies day at Ascot! Very amusing - they must get up hours before they need to!
Old Mar 6th 2010, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

I'm an IT contractor currently working for a large bank in the city.

There would be thousands of women working in my building and most wear smart skirts and blouses/tops. Some travel in jackets but I don't see many wearing them inside. You can guarantee that the only blokes wearing a jacket in the office are visiting salesmen dressing to impress. Few women wear tights during the summer but you do need a bit of a tan (real or fake) to avoid looking like you have pasty legs.

There are some seriously high heels around in the office but a lot of people seem to wear thongs or flats to actually travel in. I have a pair of ballet-type flats that I walk in and I change into heels when I get there. I see a few people on the street wearing trainers with their high-powered suits but I think it looks bloody awful and wouldn't dream of wearing them.

I'm often freezing during the day so I keep a cardi over the back of my chair to put on when the a/c is particularly bad. I just leave it there when I go home.

Friday is pretty much a universal dress-down day here in Sydney. Some people wear jeans and t-shirts but most just swap the skirts or smart trousers for a more casual pair of trousers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.