Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What has happened to humanity - Afghan Refugees, Perth?

What has happened to humanity - Afghan Refugees, Perth?

Old Apr 19th 2009, 8:22 am
Just Joined

Mrs Roo will become famous soon enoughMrs Roo will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What has happened to humanity - Afghan Refugees, Perth?

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Perth is insular yes but would hardly think it one of the most racist places around.Sad to say people in most countries would make similar comments to people landing in such fashion.
Do find it a shame that so many Britons that come to this country hold such intolerent views....
Hear, Hear. I lived in the UK for 4 years - what a mob of bigots!!!
Old Apr 19th 2009, 8:25 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Roo
Not that different from the majority of Aussies then - in fact most countries have a large number of bigots.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 8:26 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Not that different from the majority of Aussies then - in fact most countries have a large number of bigots.
Yep, you're onto it.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 8:29 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you say that? Just trying to understand your sweeping statement as clearly you feel very strongly about it
Old Apr 19th 2009, 8:41 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Yep, you're onto it.
No, I just think its an irrelevant comment here. there are enough threads on the forum already arguing over whether Brits are worse than Aussies at this that or the other without introducing the idea into this one too.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 8:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Twiglets
Sorry to say, but this is WA - one of the most insular and racist places around. Maybe some of these 'onlookers' were the same people who left the UK because it was 'full of immigrants'.

It's a sad and shameful world that we live in sometimes. I work in a hospital in Perth and am shocked daily by the ignorance of both staff and patients. :curse:
This what I was talking about. Generalisation, slagging off WA. because of a few big-mouthed racists. I get tired of hearing it. I don't hold racist views. I am a migrant in this country; apart from our aboriginal brothers and sisters we are all either migrants or the offspring of migrants. We should all remember that. I was born in the UK but have lived in OZ for 50 years.
I went back to the UK recently for several years. I worked there and I learned all about some of the Brits more radical attitudes to migrants. I applied for a job in Oakington (Reception Centre) just to piss off some people who were particularly bad. I just really hate injustice and bigotry and the wholesale tagging of my home state for no really good reason.

sonlymewalter said - and I reply above - Why do you say that? Just trying to understand your sweeping statement as clearly you feel very strongly about it

Last edited by Mrs Roo; Apr 19th 2009 at 8:53 am. Reason: want to include sonlymewalter's comment
Old Apr 19th 2009, 9:19 am

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

This what I was talking about. Generalisation, slagging off WA. because of a few big-mouthed racists.
I find this comment strange in that you mention people generalising when at the same time you have generalised when you said

"Hear, Hear. I lived in the UK for 4 years - what a mob of bigots!!!"

Is that not generalising too

I get tired of hearing it. I don't hold racist views. I am a migrant in this country; apart from our aboriginal brothers and sisters we are all either migrants or the offspring of migrants. We should all remember that.
What we are talking about here is illegal immigrants. This is not the same as somone who has legally arrived in Australia

I was born in the UK but have lived in OZ for 50 years. I went back to the UK recently for several years. I worked there and I learned all about some of the Brits more radical attitudes to migrants.
Certainly since we left UK I have noticed the tolerance level has decreased regarding immigrants. I suspect it's because the country has become saturated and people are tired of adding to an already struggling economy with dire social infastructure & associated concerns. Added to this some of the migrants to the UK have not assimilated despite now having seen generations living there. There is only so much people will take before they have had enough. I think most decent people really enjoy the diversity however illegal migrants or those looking for handouts or offering nothing of value to an economy are no longer seen as an investment but instead a liability

I applied for a job in Oakington (Reception Centre) just to piss off some people who were particularly bad.
Not sure what you mean by this?

I just really hate injustice and bigotry and the wholesale tagging of my home state for no really good reason.
Where is your home state?

I agree bigotry and racism are vulgar however this is not about bigotry and racism. This is about illegal immigrants illegally entering a country. This is different to legal immigrants. The two are very different.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 9:21 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: What has happened to humanity - Afghan Refugees, Perth?

Threat gone wrong: Asylum seekers 'doused boat with fuel

Senior Government sources have confirmed to the ABC that asylum seekers on board a boat that exploded last week had doused the deck with petrol as a threatened act of sabotage.

The Government says it will not comment on what caused Thursday's fatal blast while a police investigation is underway.

But the ABC has been told the asylum seekers doused the boat in petrol to try and force the navy to let them land in Australia and not turn them back to Indonesia.

However, it is understood the explosion was an accident.
ABC.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

Threat gone wrong: Asylum seekers 'doused boat with fuel

Senior Government sources have confirmed to the ABC that asylum seekers on board a boat that exploded last week had doused the deck with petrol as a threatened act of sabotage.

The Government says it will not comment on what caused Thursday's fatal blast while a police investigation is underway.

But the ABC has been told the asylum seekers doused the boat in petrol to try and force the navy to let them land in Australia and not turn them back to Indonesia.

However, it is understood the explosion was an accident.
ABC.
We need to wait for the official report however this is pretty damning. If it turns out to be true, then this just re-enforces that illegal immigration is wrong in every way and shouldn't be condoned.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 9:54 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Why do you say that? Just trying to understand your sweeping statement as clearly you feel very strongly about it
I might be wrong, sonlymewalter, but I read her post as tongue in cheek; she was making a generalisation to highlight the ridiculousness of generalisations.

Or perhaps I'm wrong
Old Apr 19th 2009, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
I might be wrong, sonlymewalter, but I read her post as tongue in cheek; she was making a generalisation to highlight the ridiculousness of generalisations.

Or perhaps I'm wrong
I have no idea mate....I'm sure she/he will clarify
Old Apr 19th 2009, 11:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

We need to wait for the official report however this is pretty damning. If it turns out to be true, then this just re-enforces that illegal immigration is wrong in every way and shouldn't be condoned.
Illegal immigrants is a political term used by certain governments serving populist agendas.
These people under law are asylum seekers and as such have the right of law to be heard and if deemed so the right to remain in this country on permenent protection visas as refugees.That is the law as it stands at present.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 11:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

it confirms the desperation of people and the plight of asylum seekers in general(not illegal immigrants)and the utter confusion surrounding the United Nations Charter on Refugees asit now stands.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 11:20 am

Illegal immigrants is a political term used by certain governments serving populist agendas.
These people under law are asylum seekers and as such have the right of law to be heard and if deemed so the right to remain in this country on permenent protection visas as refugees.That is the law as it stands at present.
Assylum seekers are genuine applicants who respect the law of their intended host country.

Illegal immigrants are people who decide to buck the law entering a country illegally in whatever way they can.

Play on words...we all know what we mean
Old Apr 19th 2009, 11:23 am

it confirms the desperation of people and the plight of asylum seekers in general(not illegal immigrants)and the utter confusion surrounding the United Nations Charter on Refugees asit now stands.
Illegal immigrants in effect spoil it for themselves and the genuine asylum seekers. Those that promote and condone illegal immigrant tactics are unwittingly doing nothing more than condoning flesh peddlers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.