Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What has happened to humanity - Afghan Refugees, Perth?

What has happened to humanity - Afghan Refugees, Perth?

Old Apr 20th 2009, 9:26 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: What has happened to humanity - Afghan Refugees, Perth?

Originally Posted by silentwalker
Next time someone comes up with 'Racism in Australia' type question, this thread will give him/her some picture!

I am very sad to say that, by the way.
Mainly is just shows the attitude from mainly British People that are either in Britain or Australia. It doesn't exactly give an Australian perspective on it.

And how much of anything is racism, and how much is related to illegal entry rather than race ?

Old Apr 20th 2009, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

UncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by the troubadour
That is all just so right. Australia is and is going to be so much more ,in the not too distant future a multi racial country, so be warned if you have problems with this then do not come here, if here ten you might like to consider living arrangements elsewhere.
Surely that is why we have an immigration policy that is bringing 300,000 new migrants a year, including record numbers from China, India and the Middle East. These new people are welcomed here with government support and the assistance of numerous agencies and charities. They are welcomed into our work places with open arms. Many work with me in the IT industry in Canberra including my boss. Do not distort the argument abour illegal immigration into racism.

What we do not want in Australia is to have criminals break the law to get into Australia. We have a population of approximately 21 million and are trying to absorb nearly a third of a million newcomers each year from over 100 source countries.

And still people like you make your snide little comments implying that Australians are racists. You are beneath contempt, and do not deserve to be here yourself.

Why would a racist country take in such a huge number of people from so many races and religions?

If you want a racist country to rant about, leave here and go to live in France.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...k-Britain.html
Old Apr 20th 2009, 11:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UncleKev
Surely that is why we have an immigration policy that is bringing 300,000 new migrants a year, including record numbers from China, India and the Middle East. These new people are welcomed here with government support and the assistance of numerous agencies and charities. They are welcomed into our work places with open arms. Many work with me in the IT industry in Canberra including my boss. Do not distort the argument abour illegal immigration into racism.

What we do not want in Australia is to have criminals break the law to get into Australia. We have a population of approximately 21 million and are trying to absorb nearly a third of a million newcomers each year from over 100 source countries.

And still people like you make your snide little comments implying that Australians are racists. You are beneath contempt, and do not deserve to be here yourself.

Why would a racist country take in such a huge number of people from so many races and religions?

If you want a racist country to rant about, leave here and go to live in France.
I do not care for your tone and your level of comprehension would appear to be at a rather low level that goes with your prattish personal comments.
Exactly where are the comments saying Australians are racist??I do though dispair at a lot of the attitudes that UK people bring to this country with regards to this matter and there could be an arguement at closer vetting of racist extremists who may wish to upset the harmony.
As for not deserving to be here i will return that compliment to you if you find the freedom of expression to much for you to endure perhaps you may care to remove your self.?
Oh and why would i move to France??
Old Apr 21st 2009, 2:04 am
Forum Regular

robo43 has a spectacular aura aboutrobo43 has a spectacular aura aboutrobo43 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by UncleKev

You are right Uncle Kev and so is the Mayor of Calais
Old Apr 21st 2009, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

robo43 has a spectacular aura aboutrobo43 has a spectacular aura aboutrobo43 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by JR230898

We have the luxury of....feeling 'entitled'. There are a lot more boats coming...as we did....why is it, that we feel so 'entitled'?
Because they (and i use that in a very loose term) meaning mostly Europeans whos forefathers took this barren dry Landscape and with hard work and sacrifice turned it into the fantastic place that so many people want to live in.I think that gives them the right to feel entitled.Not some Johnny come latelys who has emigrated in the last 20 or so years with his PC attitude telling them they are racist.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 2:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by the troubadour
So sad what a graceless unidealistic world we are living in and so many set ..(the sons and daughters of the Thatcher generation one expects ..)to make sure this prevails.
Wrong product of Wilson,Heath and Callaghan
Old Apr 21st 2009, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I think it's more reasonable to request integration rather than assimilation. Australia is a multicultural society, after all.

However, it should be clearly understood that the laws of Australia take precedence over any cultural or religions beliefs and practices.
Here go the fantasists again ,we all know that once they get there foot in the door they will be claiming that sharia law is the only law they recognise,look at the muslim community in UK
Old Apr 21st 2009, 2:52 am
Forum Regular

Three of many, remember. They're not the only ones. Of those three, Australia is probably the most multicultural, but my point still stands. 25% of Australians were born overseas; that's even more than the UK!

Yes, there have been racial confrontations over east. There will always be racial confrontations of some sort; you'll never eradicate them completely. But for the most part, multiculturalism works.

How many Australian-born Muslims have killed their fellow citizens with suicide bombs? You can count them on the fingers of one foot.
A majority of that 25% come from the same or very similar culture to Australia. I think a more pertinent question is how many Australian citizens have been killed or planned to be killed by non Australian born Muslims which the asylum seekers / illegal immigrants are ?
Old Apr 21st 2009, 3:08 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What has happened to humanity - Afghan Refugees, Perth?

Originally Posted by robo43
Here go the fantasists again ,we all know that once they get there foot in the door they will be claiming that sharia law is the only law they recognise,look at the muslim community in UK
Muslims have been in Australia for more than 100 years without demanding Sharia law. I reckon we're good for another century yet.

A majority of that 25% come from the same or very similar culture to Australia. I think a more pertinent question is how many Australian citizens have been killed or planned to be killed by non Australian born Muslims which the asylum seekers / illegal immigrants are ?
To date there have been no Australians killed by non-Australian born Muslims. As for "planned"... well yeah, as I mentioned in a previous post, it's possible that some of these people will turn against Australia after settling here. Which is one of the reasons why I believe we should be very careful about who we let in.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Apr 21st 2009 at 3:13 am.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 11:08 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Absolute nonsense. People who say this have no idea what multiculturalism really is.

Multiculturalism requires immigrants to mix and integrate with their fellow citizens, adopting a new national identity and all the cultural associations of their new country. It does not exclude them or ghettoise them.

Some migrants may choose to be isolationist and refuse to integrate, but that is their problem; it is not the fault of multiculturalism.

That is precisely what multiculturalism does! Under multiculturalism, everyone is required to adopt the same national identity and share the national culture. However, they are also permitted to retain and practice the traditions of their original culture, provided that they respect the national culture and do not break the law.

Look at the Greek and Italian communities in Melbourne: success. Look at the Chinese community in Western Australia: success. Look at the Dutch community in Tasmania: success. Look at the German community in South Australia: success (hell, the Germans were among the earliest settlers in SA). Examples could be multiplied.

Problems arise when migrants arrive from ultra conservative nations which are controlled by religious fundamentalism (ie. Lebanon & Afghanistan). These people are less likely to integrate and more likely to reject multiculturalism because their culture and social mores are often radically opposed to our own, and their religion dominates their lives to an extent that we in the west would find unacceptable.
This should clear up the confusion:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiculturalism

Old Apr 21st 2009, 11:20 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by paulry
This should clear up the confusion:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiculturalism

You mean this bit "The theory of multiculturalism remains controversial and is opposed by those who support particular cultural standards."

and

The independence allowed to Scotland and Wales within the United Kingdom means Britain has been a multicultural state for a long time........

or the bit that says...... no better not.... wikipedia can be edited by anyone so it may not be true.....

Old Apr 21st 2009, 11:47 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
You mean this bit "The theory of multiculturalism remains controversial and is opposed by those who support particular cultural standards."

and

The independence allowed to Scotland and Wales within the United Kingdom means Britain has been a multicultural state for a long time........

or the bit that says...... no better not.... wikipedia can be edited by anyone so it may not be true.....
Okay, points taken.

I'll try again:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3600791.stm
Old Apr 21st 2009, 11:51 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The burning boat theory is certainly a favourite - guaranteed way of getting ashore, although if they did do it to their own boat, I doubt that they expected this outcome.

Personally, I think Australia is morally bound to treat them, in spite of the disruption caused to its own residents. However I guess we can hope that tose who are not injured have to face the due process and be treated as illegal immigrants, without preferential treatment. After all, if you are fleeing Afghanistan, Australia is unlikely to be the first country you reach......

We now have some in Brisbane for treatment, others may follow.
Much better than that old burning bush story in the bible,i mean come on
Old Apr 21st 2009, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

One problem I have with asylum seekers is that today's asylum seeker was potentially yesterday's oppressor.

In theory - if the Taliban were completely overthrown today, they would be persecuted by the new ruling majority. So do all UN convention countries throw their doors open and offer the Taliban refuge?

OK this is an extreme example, but in many many countries if you do not agree with the government, you are likely to be persecuted. Watch the number of people fleeing SA once Zuma has been in power a couple of months....
Old Apr 21st 2009, 1:56 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Pomster
One problem I have with asylum seekers is that today's asylum seeker was potentially yesterday's oppressor.

In theory - if the Taliban were completely overthrown today, they would be persecuted by the new ruling majority. So do all UN convention countries throw their doors open and offer the Taliban refuge?

OK this is an extreme example, but in many many countries if you do not agree with the government, you are likely to be persecuted. Watch the number of people fleeing SA once Zuma has been in power a couple of months....
Hmm, all the old British union members who moved here during the Thatcher years could have flown to Indonesia then got on a boat to get here, and been asylum seekers then...

Who needs a Visa, when you can try a boat approach, as long as you can get to land.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.