Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What has happened to humanity - Afghan Refugees, Perth?

What has happened to humanity - Afghan Refugees, Perth?

Old Apr 27th 2009, 3:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has happened to humanity - Afghan Refugees, Perth?

Originally Posted by John_R

Not everyone leaving Afghanistan has true grounds for asylum and therfore proper individual interrogation is nessesary and yes ther is a real terrorist threat in mass refugies from certain listed countries. In every western country there are sleeping terrorist cells, most being monitored by government agencies but some are not known. During the processing of their claims they should be detained in secure camps until their true identity and validity of their circumstances has been proven, and not like in the UK were they waist rescources and tax payers money on finding illegal imigrants that have been released due to the pc politicians saying its inhuman to keep people detained.

To process these people you have to be heartless and process them scrupolously as personal emotions would allow everyone a free ticket.

That's my rant over with

John
Your underestimating AQ if you believe they would put one of their trained terrorists in the lottery that is a refugee boat into Australia.

A more dangerous and more effective option would be a Doctor or Journalist or even Business migrant.

I do agree that the refugees need to be scrutinised properly, thats only fair to the other refugees.

Can you empathise at all with people that would put themselves through this though, Can you imagine what personal lengths and how desperate they must be to get on a leaky dangerous boat to "try" to gain status in Australia, or other western countries they may get farmed out to. How bad would things have to get for people to put themselves through this.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 4:14 am
Forum Regular

John_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Your underestimating AQ if you believe they would put one of their trained terrorists in the lottery that is a refugee boat into Australia.

A more dangerous and more effective option would be a Doctor or Journalist or even Business migrant.

I do agree that the refugees need to be scrutinised properly, thats only fair to the other refugees.

Can you empathise at all with people that would put themselves through this though, Can you imagine what personal lengths and how desperate they must be to get on a leaky dangerous boat to "try" to gain status in Australia, or other western countries they may get farmed out to. How bad would things have to get for people to put themselves through this.
There are different parts to a cell, yes doctors and journalists etc are great candidates, they fit in to society well, can build up relationships with important individuals, they make great intelligent officers. AQ have excellent intelligence and powerful contacts, its not impossible for them to produce forged documents and relevant history to support an individuals claim of asylum. If you ship 100 out on different journeys, not knowing each other and heading to the same country, all with their documents and false history's, even if just 1 or 3 get in, its a success. There are also the sympathiser's in western countries who are willing to sponsour individuals from over sea's as 'family' etc.

It must be a difficult decision to give up everything you own and leave, but one thing I can never understand is, where do these individuals find the money to fund such a journey! It crippled me to get here and I work for a living

John
Old Apr 27th 2009, 4:22 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly the same applies to "economic" refugees. Millions, if not billions, who live in places like Zimbabwe, China, Bangladesh and the like might well risk everything in small boats if they thought they had a chance of making it to economic betterment. I would be the same in their position.

But no country can allow potentially unlimited numbers into their borders, regardless of motive.

(It's estimated, depending on the assumptions made, that Australia's "long-term sustainable" population is between ten and fifteen million. Go figure.)
Old Apr 27th 2009, 4:43 am
Forum Regular

robo43 has a spectacular aura aboutrobo43 has a spectacular aura aboutrobo43 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by rosscov1970
I'm also a migrant and went through the correct channels to get here, paid my money and waited patiently. However, I wasn't fleeing from an oppressive, brutal regime but can still understand why there are those that choose to risk everything in the hope of a better life somewhere else.
Yeh leaving there wives,daughters sisters,mothers in the hands of this oppressive, brutal regime.Just the sort of characters to benefit Australia. If they really want to benefit Afghanistan where most of these are from ,they should be conscripted into basic military training then enrolled into the various allied forces to fight alongside the brave soles out there trying to make the country they turned there back on a descent and safe place to live. Or could it be they are just after the easy option?
Old Apr 27th 2009, 4:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Exactly the same applies to "economic" refugees. Millions, if not billions, who live in places like Zimbabwe, China, Bangladesh and the like might well risk everything in small boats if they thought they had a chance of making it to economic betterment. I would be the same in their position.

But no country can allow potentially unlimited numbers into their borders, regardless of motive.

(It's estimated, depending on the assumptions made, that Australia's "long-term sustainable" population is between ten and fifteen million. Go figure.)
Australia only has to take a certain number. If it can get to a situation where it takes more refugees on a Pro rata basis than most other Western Countries then it can base a strong claim on farming out the refugees to other Western nations. What is desperately needed is the ability to classify any refugees that end up presenting on Western nations borders. If refugees have made the perilous journey to our borders than I think Australia as a nation can do more than it's fair share in giving these people a decent hearing.

There are currently 146 countries that refugees can be relocated to once they have gained refugee status.

http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/61asylum.htm
Old Apr 27th 2009, 4:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by robo43
Yeh leaving there wives,daughters sisters,mothers in the hands of this oppressive, brutal regime.Just the sort of characters to benefit Australia. If they really want to benefit Afghanistan where most of these are from ,they should be conscripted into basic military training then enrolled into the various allied forces to fight alongside the brave soles out there trying to make the country they turned there back on a descent and safe place to live. Or could it be they are just after the easy option?
There were plenty of women and children on most of the boats that have presented so far.... or did you forget the children overboard fiasco ?
Old Apr 27th 2009, 4:51 am
Forum Regular

robo43 has a spectacular aura aboutrobo43 has a spectacular aura aboutrobo43 has a spectacular aura about

There were plenty of women and children on most of the boats that have presented so far.... or did you forget the children overboard fiasco ?
I think we are talking about present day or how far back in history do you want to go? Try and keep it relevant. How many were on that burning boat.?
or the one yesterday with 50 odd onboard. Typical PC~brigade muddying the waters the children overboard were not Afghanistanis.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

UncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud of

Interesting you should mention a girl's team. I asked the club president if that was a possibility and he said they weren't allowed to play sport because the modesty of their religion and dress code make it impractical. I didn't believe this to be strictly true as I remember seeing on the TV, relatively recently, a muslim female athlete competing on the track with head, arms and legs covered (she might have been Iranian). Although I am aware that ideally an all female environment, competitor, official and spectator is the only option for many muslim women.
It is possible with a few adjustments to the clothing, which seems to have worked for the Cronulla female lifesavers. I imagine that a similar hockey uniform is not out of the question.
Attached Thumbnails What has happened to humanity - Afghan Refugees, Perth?-mecca_071203095418700_wideweb__300x375-1.jpg  
Old Apr 27th 2009, 5:15 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by John_R
one thing I can never understand is, where do these individuals find the money to fund such a journey! It crippled me to get here and I work for a living

John
That is the one question that really puzzles many people...

I know many people who have who have migrated legally with less money than some of these boat people have spent.

Old Apr 27th 2009, 5:26 am
locked in the attic

rosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know the history of the refugees that are in my community, but I hope to have the opportunity to talk with them, to get first hand information about what brought them here, who they left behind, the sacrifices and risks they took. Of course they could always tell me to bog off and I'll be none the wiser, but I still prefer to try to gather as much information as possible to better understand a situation. If I do get the chance I'll ask them if they thought they took the 'easy option' and let you know.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 5:44 am
Forum Regular

I don't know the history of the refugees that are in my community, but I hope to have the opportunity to talk with them, to get first hand information about what brought them here, who they left behind, the sacrifices and risks they took. Of course they could always tell me to bog off and I'll be none the wiser, but I still prefer to try to gather as much information as possible to better understand a situation. If I do get the chance I'll ask them if they thought they took the 'easy option' and let you know.
Also ask them while your at, it why they left there women folk behind and if they would be prepared to go back with some training to fight for there freedom, and being as you seem so concerned with information and there welfare why not volunteer for a humanitarian role in Afghanistan you can talk to as many as you want of both sexes and get a much clearer picture of the situation
Old Apr 27th 2009, 5:59 am
locked in the attic

rosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond repute

Also ask them while your at, it why they left there women folk behind and if they would be prepared to go back with some training to fight for there freedom, and being as you seem so concerned with information and there welfare why not volunteer for a humanitarian role in Afghanistan you can talk to as many as you want of both sexes and get a much clearer picture of the situation
I suggest as you clearly have a lot of questions yourself, that you seek out some refugees in your community to find the answers you're looking for, I'm not your secretary. And why would I go to Afghanistan when my interest is in their journey here? Little point talking to those who haven't left. And whilst we're all busy asking questions, why are you so pissy about my interest in their situation? I don't believe at any point in this thread I have condoned the actions of these refugees, just merely stated that we have a group in our community that I'm interested to talk with and can appreciate their desire to flee but would like to understand more. Is that so offensive?
Old Apr 27th 2009, 6:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by La Vida loca
Some ridiculous comments I have read above just panda to the like of these illegals, who play on the soft side the PC lobby who want to be seen to do the right thing than actually doing the right thing.

Third Point, did you all know most illegals who become residents start to send money back to their home, and always travel back for a holiday..... figure that one out....
This is to supply funds for the Taliban. The PC lobby have a real dilemma with many of these 3rd world countries because while its nearly always the fault of the great Satan (western society) they treat the females/gays in there various cultures like 3rd class citizens which also goes against there PC beliefs as well.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 6:06 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

treat the females/gays in there various cultures like 3rd class citizens
...and their pandas.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 6:08 am
locked in the attic

Originally Posted by bcworld
...and their pandas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.