Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tiawamutu's House Build

Tiawamutu's House Build

Old Mar 28th 2007, 3:15 pm
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tiawamutu's House Build

The white pipes sticking up all over your slab are the waste pipes for your plumbing appliances. If you look on your plan you'll see that they correspond to where a sink / basin / shower etc.. will be.

The big concrete pipes are soak wells. They take the rainwater from your gutters and diffuse it into the surrounding sand. Make sure they haven't put one bang in the middle of where you want your pool to be cos It'll have to be dug back out and repositioned. This happens all the time & they're a bugger to move!
Old Mar 28th 2007, 4:41 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scossie
The white pipes sticking up all over your slab are the waste pipes for your plumbing appliances. If you look on your plan you'll see that they correspond to where a sink / basin / shower etc.. will be.
Lol Scossie! I'm not on about those pipes I'm on about the two very thin ones where all the wires/pipes are, and where the porch is to go.

The big concrete pipes are soak wells. They take the rainwater from your gutters and diffuse it into the surrounding sand. Make sure they haven't put one bang in the middle of where you want your pool to be cos It'll have to be dug back out and repositioned. This happens all the time & they're a bugger to move!
I bet they have you know I will have to check with them.

Thanks for that
Old Mar 29th 2007, 2:01 pm
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu

Also our lease is almost up on our rental, and we have only gone and managed to secure a rental about 150 metres from the plot of land!

It will be easier for me to keep an eye on things now
so we wont be getting daily updates anymore - they will be hourly instead!!!

hugs
Adele x
Old Mar 29th 2007, 4:12 pm

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tiggs+Graz
so we wont be getting daily updates anymore - they will be hourly instead!!!

hugs
Adele x
Old Mar 29th 2007, 6:04 pm

Do they put these in the ground under each down pipe?
As we seem to have 8 DP's marked on our plans (one at each corner of house, and a few others dotted around)
Old Mar 30th 2007, 12:41 am
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute

You prob have 4 Dp`s outwith the slab of the house for the rainwater from roof, you will have a main DP for the likes of main bathroom, Ensuite, utility room, these should be all 100mm/4 " pipes. The thinner white pipes you see will be for the like of shower,Wash basin. Although it looks like they are all seperate pipes comming into the house they will ( should ) connect to the main DP nearest to them under the floor, this avoids all the unsightly pipe work connections being inside the house. just looking at the floor just now i would say

Just curious myself! the soak wells are there to disperse the rain water into the surrounding sand? i can understand that here in UK where we can almost always have water to waste anytime, but! in a place like Aus why on earth would they use a system like this to disperse the rain water? then again maybe all the outside r/w DP`s are directed to these and filtered before being rerouted to a main somewhere where it can be recycled drinking water maybe you could ask the Q

keep uploading the great pics and let us join in your excitement

As we seem to have 8 DP's marked on our plans (one at each corner of house, and a few others dotted around)
Old Mar 30th 2007, 1:29 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Waste water from the house and rainwater are completely separate.
The waste and soil pipes are laid before the slab goes down in what is called the prelay. One end is popped up through the slab and the other end is just left open ended in the sand just outside where the slab ends.
They are all run to one side of the slab.
Then, after the slab is down the drainer comes along, digs a trench down the side of the slab, finds all the open ends and connects them to his 100mm drain pipe which he then connects to the sewer.
On a one storey house there is generally no stack.

The rainwater pipes are connected to underground pipes which are put, (unsealed) through the side of the soak wells. And that's it! It goes no further. there are holes on the side of the soak wells and they have no base. The water just disperses through the sand.
2 of more rainwater pipes can run to one soak well.

From your picture it looks like they have delivered 8 soak well sections.
They could have put them in 8 different locations, but soak well sections are stackable so they could have put them in one on top of another in 4 locations!
You'll have to ask the builder.

They are generally placed a few feet away from the house so as I said, check there's not one where you want the pool to go.

Last edited by Scossie; Mar 30th 2007 at 1:31 am.
Old Mar 30th 2007, 9:14 am
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute

Dont mean to hijack this thread or anything, but your personal opinion Scossie? dont you think that it mad to have a sytem like this in somewhere like Aus where to always a possibility of rationing of water, i.e. hose bans? this is something i didnt know and makes me think that if this is done Aus wide when we eventually make the move over i will be looking at some sort of storge tank to reuse this water.

your thoughts mate

Waste water from the house and rainwater are completely separate.
The waste and soil pipes are laid before the slab goes down in what is called the prelay. One end is popped up through the slab and the other end is just left open ended in the sand just outside where the slab ends.
They are all run to one side of the slab.
Then, after the slab is down the drainer comes along, digs a trench down the side of the slab, finds all the open ends and connects them to his 100mm drain pipe which he then connects to the sewer.
On a one storey house there is generally no stack.

The rainwater pipes are connected to underground pipes which are put, (unsealed) through the side of the soak wells. And that's it! It goes no further. there are holes on the side of the soak wells and they have no base. The water just disperses through the sand.
2 of more rainwater pipes can run to one soak well.

They could have put them in 8 different locations, but soak well sections are stackable so they could have put them in one on top of another in 4 locations!
You'll have to ask the builder.

They are generally placed a few feet away from the house so as I said, check there's not one where you want the pool to go.
Old Mar 30th 2007, 9:17 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sunny_Glesga
Dont mean to hijack this thread or anything, but your personal opinion Scossie? dont you think that it mad to have a sytem like this in somewhere like Aus where to always a possibility of rationing of water, i.e. hose bans? this is something i didnt know and makes me think that if this is done Aus wide when we eventually make the move over i will be looking at some sort of storge tank to reuse this water.

your thoughts mate
One of our neighbours was putting a big concrete tank in his garden for that very reason.
Old Mar 30th 2007, 10:02 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Originally Posted by Sunny_Glesga

your thoughts mate
Yup, as Fraser said some people are installing tanks to store roof run off water. They don't come as standard on a new house build though.
Old Mar 30th 2007, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, as Fraser said some people are installing tanks to store roof run off water. They don't come as standard on a new house build though.
We could have got a tank as standard on our build but we went for the oslar hot water system instead. We will be adding a tank ourselves over the winter sometime and just diverting 1 or 2 of the downpipes from the roof into it.
Old Mar 30th 2007, 2:58 pm

....anyway.....end of another week I see

Hopefully we will see bricks next week

We might see some flying pigs too!

I was thinking about getting one of those oval shaped (slimline) water tanks, as you can always do a bit watering or path/patio cleaning with it.

Last edited by Tiawamutu; Mar 30th 2007 at 3:00 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2007, 3:14 pm

You'll have to ask the builder
There are 4 houses being built by our builder in the same area, so the 8 soak wells were probably shared over the 4 of them.

When the wire mesh was delivered for the slabs, I checked the invoices that were stuck underneath them, and the whole pile was for all four houses.

Last edited by Tiawamutu; Mar 30th 2007 at 3:17 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2007, 10:16 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe the small pipes are conduits for telephone
Old Mar 31st 2007, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

Location: West Sussex till end of 2009- then somewhere sunnier
john& becky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fraser
Maybe the small pipes are conduits for telephone
My thoughts exactly, quite often when we build in the UK we run a spare conduit for Justin. Its a bugger if you need to feed something else in later and you need to dig another trench. Happened last week to a builder on a site I was working on, the electricians were putting the consumer unit in and asked him where the mains cable was...............
When they got the mini digger back to lay it in, he went through the water main .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.