Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Renewal of UK Passports in OZ.

Renewal of UK Passports in OZ.

Old Sep 20th 2010, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

stellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nice
Default Re: Renewal of UK Passports in OZ.

Originally Posted by RenShen
I am taking the forms for the kids to the post office tomorrow for checking and sending. I see that I need to take original birth, marriage certs etc. Do they get sent off with the application or are they just sighted by the post office staff?

My daughter's was a renewal and the only docs I had to show was he existing uk passport which was sent with the application.

No other docs were needed from me...
Old Sep 20th 2010, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

My son was born after December 1982 so the form says that certificates are needed. I don't really like the thought of them being sent off though so I hope that they can just be sighted at the post office?
Old Sep 20th 2010, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

stellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nice

My son was born after December 1982 so the form says that certificates are needed. I don't really like the thought of them being sent off though so I hope that they can just be sighted at the post office?
I would have thought you need to send them.. Does it not say on the passport form guide? There are links in this thread.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stellaman
I would have thought you need to send them.. Does it not say on the passport form guide? There are links in this thread.
I used the links to get the form but it doesnt really say. I will just take it all to the post office and see what happens.

Thanks,
Ren
Old Sep 21st 2010, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

Tellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pollyana
No, as thats nothing to do with the UK passport. You need to take both passports to your local DIAC office and they will put a sticker in the new one - the good news is that its free
I have just phoned to see if I need an appointment at Dandenong to get the visa stickers transferred from my kids old passports to the new ones and was told it would cost me $60 per passport.

Has anyone else been charged for this or have they given me wrong information?

When I asked if he was joking he said I could just use both the old and the new at the same time to save me paying it may just take longer to get through immigration!!
Old Oct 1st 2010, 12:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NiknAid
I have just phoned to see if I need an appointment at Dandenong to get the visa stickers transferred from my kids old passports to the new ones and was told it would cost me $60 per passport.

When I asked if he was joking he said I could just use both the old and the new at the same time to save me paying it may just take longer to get through immigration!!
Hey... I will be going to perth to get the sticker swapped over soon so will see what the cost is!! The PO sent off my 4 year olds passport on Sep 11th and got back on the 28th september so well pleased at just over two weeks to sort . $205 so far though so hoping is free god damn it!!!?
Old Oct 1st 2010, 4:22 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NiknAid

It should be free. I'll try and find the link for you.........

.........best I can find is this one from JAJ, I've been through the link he provided and there is still nothing on there about charging for a new label, I would ask to speak to a supervisor

Last edited by Pollyana; Oct 1st 2010 at 4:30 am.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 11:33 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
It should be free. I'll try and find the link for you.........

.........best I can find is this one from JAJ, I've been through the link he provided and there is still nothing on there about charging for a new label, I would ask to speak to a supervisor
More wrong advice from the helpline. The only time the $60 is charged is for replacement evidence of an RRV. Not for any other kind of visa.
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/990i.pdf
Old Oct 1st 2010, 11:36 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Not normally needed for a renewal of a passport.

But your son may need to re-prove his citizenship from scratch when applying for an adult passport, so make sure you have plenty of copies of supporting evidence. If you need new birth certificates, etc, why not order them now?
Old Oct 1st 2010, 12:51 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
More wrong advice from the helpline. The only time the $60 is charged is for replacement evidence of an RRV. Not for any other kind of visa.
Thanks JAJ
Old Oct 1st 2010, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

Tellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAJ
Thanks guys, I will call into the office and give it a go next school holidays
Old Oct 6th 2010, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JAJ

But your son may need to re-prove his citizenship from scratch when applying for an adult passport, so make sure you have plenty of copies of supporting evidence. If you need new birth certificates, etc, why not order them now?
I spoke to the DIAC and it is $60. This is because it is only free the 1st time you have evidence placed in your passport. All other time are at a cost.

I am going to fill out form 929 which basically updates the system with her new passport number. http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/929.pdf

Fill it out and post with a certified copy of the new passport and post off. Then in a week or two phone up and check the new passport number has been has been updated. When going through passport control in future all scans of the new passport will then show up a valid visa to oz still. (Will be carrying her old just in case)
Old Oct 6th 2010, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAJ

Thanks JAJ, as it was, I was OK without the docs as its a renewal. Was just in a panic as the notes on the main form are a bit vague.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 8:39 am
Home and Happy

I spoke to the DIAC and it is $60. This is because it is only free the 1st time you have evidence placed in your passport. All other time are at a cost.

I am going to fill out form 929 which basically updates the system with her new passport number. http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/929.pdf

Fill it out and post with a certified copy of the new passport and post off. Then in a week or two phone up and check the new passport number has been has been updated. When going through passport control in future all scans of the new passport will then show up a valid visa to oz still. (Will be carrying her old just in case)
It should be free, as JAJ says. I had visas re-evidenced twice at no cost, and so have many many people on here. I've read the charges list again and the only listing for a cost for re-evidencing is the RRV.

Would be interested to hear if anyone has been into a DIAC office and had to pay, rather than talking to the notoriously unreliable helpline.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 2:49 am
JAJ
Retired

Once again, that is wrong. They have to abide by form 990i and they cannot make up rules of their own at the front desk. Insist on speaking to a supervisor or manager if this persists, and if that doesn't work, ask to speak to Central Office.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.