Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Renewal of UK Passports in OZ.

Renewal of UK Passports in OZ.

Old Mar 18th 2010, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

airlie*7 is just really niceairlie*7 is just really niceairlie*7 is just really niceairlie*7 is just really niceairlie*7 is just really niceairlie*7 is just really niceairlie*7 is just really niceairlie*7 is just really niceairlie*7 is just really niceairlie*7 is just really niceairlie*7 is just really nice
Default Re: Renewal of UK Passports in OZ.

Hey everyone,

Have just read the whole post but still have a few questions.

I live in regional Queensland so i don't think i would have any Australia Post outlets near me to renew my UK passport there.
I tried using the office locator on auspost but it came up with no search results (??)
Any suggestions? Do i HAVE to use Auspost?

Thanks!
Old Mar 18th 2010, 1:38 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by airlie*7
Hey everyone,

Have just read the whole post but still have a few questions.

I live in regional Queensland so i don't think i would have any Australia Post outlets near me to renew my UK passport there.
I tried using the office locator on auspost but it came up with no search results (??)
Any suggestions? Do i HAVE to use Auspost?

Thanks!
Yes, you have to, they won't accept applications sent direct
Put your town into here -
http://apps.nowwhere.com.au/austpost...or/default.asp
then when it lists post offices click on the name of the Post Office and it will include the phrase "British passport Applications" if it does them.

Last edited by Pollyana; Mar 18th 2010 at 1:45 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 11:39 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone on here gone through a name change on a UK passport in Aus - other than a simple change to a married name?

I want to go back to using my maiden name on my passport, which is perfectly legal, the conflict seems to be over what paperwork is acceptable. The UK passport site says that they will accept:

f you have gone back to your maiden or unmarried name, IPS will need to see:

* your birth certificate
* a signed statement from you saying that you have gone back to your maiden name for all purposes
* proof of the history of names (a decree absolute showing both names, a marriage certificate showing both names or a formal name change document)

I'm not divorced, just changing my name, but it looks like they would accept a signed statement, plus the mariage certificate. I would also be supplying a Qld Name Change certificate, that you get from the Births, Deaths and Marriages registry.

The High Commission site though says that it will only change the name back if a divorce certificate is supplied .

Without paying an extortionate amount of money to ring New Zealand, and speak to a helpline which probably won't know the answer anyway, has anyone managed to get a passport back into their maiden name, in Australia, without going through a divorce?

Thanks in advance
Old Mar 19th 2010, 1:00 am
Forum Regular

airlie*7 is just really niceairlie*7 is just really niceairlie*7 is just really niceairlie*7 is just really niceairlie*7 is just really niceairlie*7 is just really niceairlie*7 is just really niceairlie*7 is just really niceairlie*7 is just really niceairlie*7 is just really niceairlie*7 is just really nice

Hi Pollyana,
Thanks for your help.
From the looks of things the nearest Post office outlet to me that renews British passports is 2 hours drive away.
... Does anyone know if there are any loop holes so that i don't have to make a 4 hour round trip just to renew my passport?

Thanks again
Old Mar 19th 2010, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

cleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Has anyone on here gone through a name change on a UK passport in Aus - other than a simple change to a married name?

Without paying an extortionate amount of money to ring New Zealand, and speak to a helpline which probably won't know the answer anyway, has anyone managed to get a passport back into their maiden name, in Australia, without going through a divorce?

Thanks in advance
The call centre is in Scotland, not NZ, but they wil tell you the same info as I will impart for free. The change of name is very straight forward. Supply your original birth certificate and a letter saying you want to change your name back to what it was at birth.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

cleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to all

Originally Posted by airlie*7
Hi Pollyana,
Thanks for your help.
From the looks of things the nearest Post office outlet to me that renews British passports is 2 hours drive away.
... Does anyone know if there are any loop holes so that i don't have to make a 4 hour round trip just to renew my passport?

Thanks again
There are no loop holes or get out clauses. You'll have to make the drive. Is it such a hassel as you'll only have to do it once in ten years
Old Mar 20th 2010, 6:22 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by cleverchap
The call centre is in Scotland, not NZ, but they wil tell you the same info as I will impart for free. The change of name is very straight forward. Supply your original birth certificate and a letter saying you want to change your name back to what it was at birth.
Still an international call which ain't cheap from a mobile! (can't dial out from work!) and as has been dscovered many times on here, for the more unusual questions helplines often aren't that useful!
Thanks for the info - I'm not doubting you for a minute, and I'll let you know if it works when I try it in a few months time. Over here you generally need a name change certificate (at a huge cost) to change your name back on anything, and as the Aus Post checklist doesn't say that a letter will be sufficient I'm just suspicious as to whether they will accept the application, even if the High Commission are fine with it. Only one way to find out though......!
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

LauraMunroBruce is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a quick question regarding the C1 form.
I'm stuck on question 2 of the form, the bit where I'm supposed to input my parents details. I have no idea of them!! Well, apart from their names, and only my mothers DOB. I no longer speak to my father and my mum is quite ill at the moment so doesn't really have the energy to go looking around for her passport. I've read the info about filling out the forms, I was born in 1983 so it says I claim through my parents and no details means no passport but surely this is a renewal so they should have all that info already?

Also the checklist (C3 as I'm changing my name, through deed poll) and the 'passport photos and who can certify them' form says if my appearance is different I need to get it countersigned, however I look exactly the same (suprisingly, considering it's 10years at least!) so just wondered if anyone else has applied without a countersignature?
Thanks!
Old Mar 24th 2010, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

As you were born after 31/12/1982 your claim to your passport is thru your parents so these details will be needed.

And if you look the same, then do what it say's on the form.
Old Mar 28th 2010, 12:24 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cleverchap
As you were born after 31/12/1982 your claim to your passport is thru your parents so these details will be needed.
Details should be on file already (somewhere ... ) if a renewal.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

not if the previous passport is over 12 years old as records are destroyed.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 6:32 am
Just Joined

lauren_r is an unknown quantity at this point

One day short of the 6 weeks my renewed passport arrived today

Super excited to visit the homeland ... volcanic ash permitting of course
Old May 17th 2010, 3:57 am
Forum Regular

Another quick question but when printing out the forms to renew my passport it only comes out in black and white. Is this going to be alright?
I've made my appointment for tomorrow, getting my pics taken at a kodak place in the morning.
Thanks
Old May 18th 2010, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

Just did my passport renewal today with Auspost so thought I'd let you know my experience.

Had made my appointment for 2.40pm at Martin Place PO (Sydney). Decided to get my pics done at the PO next to my work as I had plenty of time before my appointment, and it was raining so I figured I'd get a decent pic before venturing to Martin Place in the rain!

Stood in a long queue before being served and asked to head to the end of the counter where she would take my pic. She asked what kind of passport it was for, adjusted the camera and proceeded to take pic. (The annoying thing is that while trying to remember everything that is required (eyes open and looking at camera, no raised eyebrows, no teeth etc) aswell as having to have my picture taken while everyone was looking at me, I forgot to do 'the chin thing', you know that thing where you tuck your chin up so it doesn't look like you have 3chins!)
Anyway the pics met the requirements so that was all that really mattered. The only thing that I was kinda miffed with was she took the pic, and then proceeded to tell me that it was gonna cost 12.95 and I'd get 8 pics. I mean I needed them done there and then but I thought she could have maybe told me before as it can all add up if you're getting several family members done at the same time etc. So now I'm left with 6 pictures of me with 3 chins, but oh well, you win some you lose some!

Another point was the picture was taken against a white background and printed on photographic paper with white bits in between the pics so if my photo fails to meet the requirements it'll be because I couldn't make out the outline of the pic and have cut it slightly smaller (please god I hope not!)

So, off I go to Martin Place. Turn up at 2.35 and chose to stand in the shorter of the 2 very long queues, eventually getting to the counter at 2.42 only to be told that I have to go join another queue for passports. Off I toddle and it looks pretty good. 4 assistants dealing with people at the counters and 2 infront of me. One guy finishes, his customer leaves and he disappears with an envelope and is never to return.

During this time of waiting a lady comes over to where we're standing, is looked at by a grumpy looking old man in the middle of serving, and asked if shes here for passports. She says she was told there was a JP that works there, to which grumpy old man snaps at her 'Not here, theres supposed to be one that works in a chemist near Wynyard' How delightfully helpful of him! (For those who don't know, Wynyard is the Train Station next to the CBD in Sydney, of which there may be at least 6 chemists nearby!) Luckily the wife of a gentleman being served approached the lady saying one worked at her office and gave her the address. How nice! I only wish I could have been as helpful.

I have now figured out that with my luck the chances of getting said grumpy old man to serve me is pretty high, but alas he went off with an envelope never to return. Also one of the girls in front of me realises she in the wrong queue and proceeds to leave so my time is getting closer and closer. One of the final two workers goes away with an envelope, returns shortly and serves the next woman who has aparantly, and much to her annoyance, not done something right on her form so off she goes and it is finally my turn! I arrive at the counter at 3.02. (just as well I wasn't nipping out in my lunch break!)

I step up to the counter, hand over my documents, only to be told I shouldn't have been made to wait this long to be seen as there was a different queue for renewing British passports, great! However the nice gentleman says he can process it for me.

He double checks that its a renewal, that I want a normal sized one and that I was born in the UK. He flips over the page, has a quick scan and tells me he can't process it!?!? WTF!!!!

I think of a hundred smart responses in my head, only to kinda mumble something, face going bright red and sounding like I'm going to cry! I have not got my fathers details except his name.
I try to calm down and remind myself that he is only doing his job as he explains to me that when he is going through the processes on his computer he has to check off that my father's details are there. I explain to him that I don't know my father's details only to be told 'Why not?', with a disparaging look! I tell him that I haven't had contact with him for 9 years so I do not know his passport number etc. He then asks 'So you have no way of getting them?' In my head I'm thinking 'yeah, I just didn't put them down for fun!' but of course I mumble something incoherently!
He says if he processes it and it doesn't go through then I will have wasted $275. I calmly tell him that that is my only option as I don't have a way of getting the details so I put a form in with blank spaces or don't put in a form at all and then I wont have a passport, therefore won't be able to apply for another visa, will be deported and my life will be ruined. Drama Queen, I think so!
I tell him that I have already queried it and have been told that the details should be on file somewhere as it is only a renewal. He asks me to write something in section 7 stating what I have just told him. I also put down I am unable to put down my Mum's passport number as she has been in hospital.

He keeps looking through the forms, has a quick look at my pictures and asks if I got them done at Auspost. I say yes, that they were done to British standards and the only problem I had was cutting them as it had the white background. He doesn't seem concerned, doesn't really look at them to see if they are ok so I'm still on tenterhooks as to whether I cut to the correct size/ cut them straight enough etc.

He comments that I don't have a counter signature. I tell him that I do not need one as I still look the same as my old passport, it says so on the checklist. He then asks 'Do you?' Now bearing in mind he has my old passport in front of him and also my new pics I think this may be a bit stupid of him to ask but he says that is quite an achievement to still look the same as I did when I was 15 and we proceeded to have a bit of a convo about looking young for our ages etc.

I make the payment, write the name on the envelope for my photos, take my receipt and I am on my merry way.

Overall, the guy was nice enough but he did seem to be just working through a checklist as opposed to actually looking out for anything amiss, which i know is what I'm supposed to do, but as far as I'm concerned if I'm paying $275 I want to know if I've made any mistakes before it goes off and not when they send it back because of something he could have spotted.

Time wise it wasn't so great as I got out of there at 3.10. For me it wasn't a big deal as I wasn't in a rush to get anywhere but for others trying to squeeze it in to their lunch breaks it may be a bit tight. It may have just been that day or that PO but I'd maybe allow a bit more than the 10mins they say it will take if going to a larger/busier PO.

Now it's just a case of waiting and hoping its alright as I have a trip to the US in July and cant afford for it to be returned!
Old Jun 6th 2010, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

gavinrobertson has a brilliant futuregavinrobertson has a brilliant futuregavinrobertson has a brilliant futuregavinrobertson has a brilliant futuregavinrobertson has a brilliant futuregavinrobertson has a brilliant futuregavinrobertson has a brilliant future

If you're near central Sydney, the PO in the Broadway Centre (Glebe) is fantastic. Open Saturday mornings and no need to book an appointment at any time for passport applications, UK or Aus. I've used them for both and had no problems any time, and never found a queue of more than two or three people in front of me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.