Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Private Schools Perth North of River

Private Schools Perth North of River

Old Mar 11th 2009, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

Heljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Private Schools Perth North of River

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Don't be fooled by the Australian (and a few on here also) propaganda that "it's not worse or better it's just different..."

"A report on Australian education performance also calls for more to be spent on early childhood education, noting the nation "lags far behind" other Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development countries.Recommending a shake-up of the early childhood education sector, the report says Australians had traditionally viewed childcare as a tool to support employment rather than as part of the education system.

The report says spending and enrolments lagged well behind OECD averages. Only 42 per cent of children aged three and four enrolled in pre-primary programs in 2006, compared with the OECD average of 70 per cent and more than 90 per cent in countries such as New Zealand and France.
"

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...013404,00.html
Absolutely agree with the first paragraph of the Australian report. Day care is usually used as a means of supporting parental employment.

In my opinion 3-4 year old children are the forgotten age group in this country and some drastic measures need to be put in place to ensure these children go on to enter school with basic social, speech and language skills.

The first 5 years of a child's life are crucial developmentally, and there are many children who, unfortunately, don't benefit from a nurturing and stimulating home environment.

Providing a good early years education is fundamental to a child's development.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

nicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jillandsi
Hi,

Just looking for an opinion on our current choice if you don't mind.

We can live pretty much anywhere but preferred the feel of NOR, based on that we are choosing where to live based on the high school (girls currently age 7 & 9 yrs). At the moment we have narrowed it down to first choice:Shenton or Churchlands, second choice:Carine or Duncraig, now I am of the understanding that Shenton and Churchlands are very good and we can get a decent rental in those catchments but am concerned that we might not be able to buy which would mean staying in a rental for the next 10years (not too pleased but will do it if needs be, I'm assuming you can't move out of the catchment once they start going to school). For Carine and Duncraig we can get a rental and buy at an affordable price but the schools, while good (I think) aren't as good as the first two.

With all of your combined knowledge of the schools in Perth do you all think it is worth the extra bother to go for the first choice or would the second choice do us just as good (both girls do quite well academically at school, and we are very involved parents) my husband feels that as long as there is a decent percentage who do well then our children will probably be in that percentage, which I agree with to a point.

He also does not want to commit ourselves to private fees in case we struggle for work, somebody replied to a similar question on another forum saying that unless we were to get in Sacred Heart in Sorrento that the other private wouldn't be worth bothering with over those 4 schools.

Many thank in anticiaption

Jillian
Dont know about catchments my daughter is in the uk 18 , but I travel to work by bike (motor Kally to Canning vale after a blowout onther freeway had to catch pub trans , and was surprised how far kids travel to school on the train ther are a few kids nor who travel to shenton and the one with the green uniform ,sorry dont know the name
Old Mar 11th 2009, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

nicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Heljinder
Absolutely agree with the first paragraph of the Australian report. Day care is usually used as a means of supporting parental employment.

In my opinion 3-4 year old children are the forgotten age group in this country and some drastic measures need to be put in place to ensure these children go on to enter school with basic social, speech and language skills.

The first 5 years of a child's life are crucial developmentally, and there are many children who, unfortunately, don't benefit from a nurturing and stimulating home environment.

Providing a good early years education is fundamental to a child's development.
There is a major concensus in the uk that schooling starts too early, a young child learns more thro experiences and play and the treadmill will start too soon
Old Mar 11th 2009, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

jillandsi will become famous soon enough

You can move out of the rental and suburb. You don't have to stay there! Schools are pretty good in putting the needs of the child first even though the parents' circumstances may have changed.

If you're like me then you will move anywhere that is financially possible to get your kids into the best schools.

Others will disagree and not want to do the above.

The attached file Page 23, Table 1 is your key to finding out where your school fits compared with the rest of the state.

Concentrate on the three columns - Low, Medium, High. State average is 33% in each. More than 33% in any one column means that there are more kids in that level of achievement in your school than the state average.
Hi NKSK 2,

Really, they let you move out of the suburb, doesn't that give them a lot of problems with people renting for 6 mths to get in the school then moving back out again,

Yes I would definately do anything I could to get them the best education, it's only for a few years but could affect the rest of their lives.

The comparison tables are very interesting, schools that I had assumed would be good because their names keep popping up on the forums with parents trying to get in them weren't actually that immpresive based on their results. One question though, it talks about pupils who had scaled marks in 4 four or more TEE exams and pupils who had at least one scaled mark greater than 75, now I know that TEE's are roughly the equivelant of UK A-levels so am I correct in assuming that a scaled mark (neccesary to get into Uni) would be the equivelant of a C grade or higher on an A-level and a scaled mark greater than 75 would be the equivelant of gaining an A grade A-level?

I have read that the entrance requirement to most of the Universities is a scaled mark of more than 50, where does that fit in with the info in the tables, do the pupils in the 'scaled marks in 4 or more TEE' have the required results to gain access to Uni?

Sorry for the detailed questions but, to coin your phrase ' if your anything like me' it's important to plan for these things, I've spent the whole day looking at rentals, printing and highlighting school charts and doing a comparison table of the top contenders (not anal at all).

Many thanks

Jillian
Old Mar 11th 2009, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

jillandsi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by nicolamoon
Dont know about catchments my daughter is in the uk 18 , but I travel to work by bike (motor Kally to Canning vale after a blowout onther freeway had to catch pub trans , and was surprised how far kids travel to school on the train ther are a few kids nor who travel to shenton and the one with the green uniform ,sorry dont know the name
I wonder why they travel so far, I was under the immpression that the really good schools didn't take out of catchment children because they were full enough with their own children, maybe I need to find out more though I think that I would worry that the year I wanted would be full or that I would be competing with other out of catchment children and wouldn't get in.

Jillian
Old Mar 11th 2009, 11:18 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder why they travel so far, I was under the immpression that the really good schools didn't take out of catchment children because they were full enough with their own children, maybe I need to find out more though I think that I would worry that the year I wanted would be full or that I would be competing with other out of catchment children and wouldn't get in.

Jillian
Shenton is a govt. school. The green uniform I'm guessing is probably Mercedes, a private girls catholic school right in the city, next to the Perth Mint. As it's not a residential area all the students will be coming in from a wide area.

As for Shenton, as it's a govt school with (I'm guessing) a strict catchment area although once your kids are in there is nothing stopping you moving away and your kids staying in the school. I reckon a lot must do it because the area is pretty exy and the school has an excellent rep.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

hoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant future

Hi NKSK 2,

Really, they let you move out of the suburb, doesn't that give them a lot of problems with people renting for 6 mths to get in the school then moving back out again,

Yes I would definately do anything I could to get them the best education, it's only for a few years but could affect the rest of their lives.

The comparison tables are very interesting, schools that I had assumed would be good because their names keep popping up on the forums with parents trying to get in them weren't actually that immpresive based on their results. One question though, it talks about pupils who had scaled marks in 4 four or more TEE exams and pupils who had at least one scaled mark greater than 75, now I know that TEE's are roughly the equivelant of UK A-levels so am I correct in assuming that a scaled mark (neccesary to get into Uni) would be the equivelant of a C grade or higher on an A-level and a scaled mark greater than 75 would be the equivelant of gaining an A grade A-level?

I have read that the entrance requirement to most of the Universities is a scaled mark of more than 50, where does that fit in with the info in the tables, do the pupils in the 'scaled marks in 4 or more TEE' have the required results to gain access to Uni?

Sorry for the detailed questions but, to coin your phrase ' if your anything like me' it's important to plan for these things, I've spent the whole day looking at rentals, printing and highlighting school charts and doing a comparison table of the top contenders (not anal at all).

Many thanks

Jillian
Don't really understand all this yet as my children are still at primary level, but this is the info I have found. Happy reading!
What is a TER?
A TER ranges between 99.95 and zero, and reports your rank position relative to all other students. It takes into account the number of students who sit the TEE in any year and also the number of people of Year 12 school leaving age in the total population.

In 2008 the TEA (Tertiary Entrance Aggregate) replaces the TES (Tertiary Entrance Score). Your TEA will be calculated and then converted to a TER, which tells you where you are ranked relative to other students. This will be the same position as a ranking based on your TEA, but the TEA is not able to convey this information directly to you.

If you have a TER of 70.00, for example, it indicates that you are equal to or better than 70% of the Year 12 school leaver age population.

http://www.tisc.edu.au/
Old Mar 12th 2009, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi NKSK 2,

Many thanks

Jillian
I'll have to number these points:

1. TEE is not quite equivalent to A level. The general consensus seems to be that it is roughly in line with AS......so
2.You can't really compare scaled marks to grades
3. It is easier to get one student over the line in one subject than it is to get a whole bunch of students over the line in a whole range of students. Hence the broader the measure the better in terms of school comparison.
4. Universities select students based on their ranking - called a TER. Students' TEE marks are converted to a TER and then compared with all other students. So in a way, broadly speaking, the type of subjects you study is less relevant than getting high marks in all of them. BUT, to stop students studying easier subjects, marks in those easier subjects are scaled down before being converted to a TER.

It's a complex system but, I think, suprisingly good.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 4:36 am
Forum Regular

Heljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by nicolamoon
There is a major concensus in the uk that schooling starts too early, a young child learns more thro experiences and play and the treadmill will start too soon
I'm not talking about putting 3-4 year olds at a desk and force feeding academia to them. Learning through play, which targets the under 5's, plays an important role in early years learning. As i've said previously, there are many children out there that don't benefit from a stimulating, nurturing environment, where there is limited access to books and educational toys. By attending a short sessional ie., 2.5 hrs a day, playschool/nursery - whatever you want to call them - it gives them the oppportunity to learn valuable life skills, such as social interaction, manners, healthy eating etc.

I agree to a certain extent about formal education beginning too early. A flexible approach might be a better option, as some children are more than ready to start formal learning, and some aren't. My eldest son was, but my youngest isn't, but he's more than ready for regular playschool sessions.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 7:13 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

I'll have to number these points:

1. TEE is not quite equivalent to A level. The general consensus seems to be that it is roughly in line with AS......so
2.You can't really compare scaled marks to grades
3. It is easier to get one student over the line in one subject than it is to get a whole bunch of students over the line in a whole range of students. Hence the broader the measure the better in terms of school comparison.
4. Universities select students based on their ranking - called a TER. Students' TEE marks are converted to a TER and then compared with all other students. So in a way, broadly speaking, the type of subjects you study is less relevant than getting high marks in all of them. BUT, to stop students studying easier subjects, marks in those easier subjects are scaled down before being converted to a TER.

It's a complex system but, I think, suprisingly good.
I agree with you re. the marking system - they do seem to get a broader range of subjects with doing TEE with additional weighting by doing more academically challenging subjects. However although they don't really equate to A levels it is the prerequisite to acceptance at uni so in the greater scheme of things does it really matter??? Also some kids will still be 16 when they sit these exams - my year 12 daughter being one! so that ought to be considered when comparing the 2 systems.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sme
I agree with you re. the marking system - they do seem to get a broader range of subjects with doing TEE with additional weighting by doing more academically challenging subjects. However although they don't really equate to A levels it is the prerequisite to acceptance at uni so in the greater scheme of things does it really matter??? Also some kids will still be 16 when they sit these exams - my year 12 daughter being one! so that ought to be considered when comparing the 2 systems.
No, I don't think that it does matter - I think that the final year of A levels takes place in first year undergraduate here.

I responded to the question asking about C grade comparability.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

I appreciate that we have different opinions but I think private schools are over rated. Like all parents I wanted the best for my kids.
My youngest, Jake, went to Kinross College, then up to Mindarie High.
He graduated in October with 19 passes...............all grade 'A's and 'B's
Old Mar 12th 2009, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

northernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
I appreciate that we have different opinions but I think private schools are over rated. Like all parents I wanted the best for my kids.
My youngest, Jake, went to Kinross College, then up to Mindarie High.
He graduated in October with 19 passes...............all grade 'A's and 'B's
Most private schools here in the Perth NOR suburbs are definately over rated. It's a 'bums on seats' business aimed at parents insecurities. Time and time again I hear reports of parents pulling kids out of private after the initial gloss has worn off. The actual fees may look cheap initially but the schools are forever asking parents to dig into their pockets and charge top dollar (mug you off) for uniforms, donations, etc. Sadly, it's a business under the umbrella of 'religion'.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 10:15 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

What also has to be remembered for those worrying now when their children are say 6 - 8, is that whilst you are getting concerned about being in the right area for a school that has an excellent reputation now, a simple thing like the head leaving can turn a good school into a poor school and visa versa within two years. If you have to get names down as early as possible then you have to, if you don't then keep your options open house/suburb wise because who knows what will happen before your child gets to high school age.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 2:26 am
Just Joined

greenfarm222 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by northernbird
I don't want to get into a debate about schooling on this thread but just wanted to warn new parents when coming over to consider their schooling options VERY carefully before they decide where to settle. I have today learnt that it is highly unlikely I will be able to get my daughter into the school I have had her name down at for almost 3 years. The other private schools in the area are either a) not an option for us due to religious differences or b) not even able to get on the waiting list 3 years ago.

I am now in a position that my daughter goes into year 8 in 2011 and the only option for high school at present is possibly the worst school in the northern suburbs.

Please consider very carefully.
Hi,
We have moved from Victoria to WA 6 months ago - Mandurah way and wish we had of known these issues. Our children were in the Vic state system and doing very well. Alas we are thinking of returning to Vic in 2011 based purely on the school system. We have our children's names down at private schools Mandurah way but, like you, don't expect to get in. Primary school standards means that gov't high school in Wa is also not an option. If only we had known!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.