Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne Winter Weather?

Melbourne Winter Weather?

Old Jul 19th 2010, 10:48 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne Winter Weather?

Originally Posted by ProudVIC
Not sure where this 'Melbourne hot in summer' reputation has come from...

...but in Brisbane it is day after day, inescapable and combined with constant humidity.
If you read some of the posts by people who live in Melbourne you might get an idea...a whole lot of exaggeratin!

But you're doing exactly the same with Brisbane...it's really not as bad as a lot of people make out, many, many days in summer are absolutely fine & bearable.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 11:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
If you read some of the posts by people who live in Melbourne you might get an idea...a whole lot of exaggeratin!

But you're doing exactly the same with Brisbane...it's really not as bad as a lot of people make out, many, many days in summer are absolutely fine & bearable.
I noticed the humidity (not unbearable) even at 9am but it is stable I guess.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 11:57 am
Just Joined

anatolie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bcworld

It can get unpleasantly hot in Melbourne- dry heat though- with flies all over CBD (yes I was working in CBD and remember those days very well, wasn't dreaming), yet winter can be uncomfortable- and people moving straight from Britain may think it is some kind of subtropical paradise too- depending on how wild their imaginations are.

The problem with Melbourne and other warmer Australian cities is the heating problem, they don't have the central heating concept even in fr*kkin Melbourne. It can feel cold in winter in Brisbane too, because people rely on little electric heaters or air conditioners if they are lucky. So it feels a lot colder than it actually is. Is that the case in Europe?
Old Jul 19th 2010, 12:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anatolie
The problem with Melbourne and other warmer Australian cities is the heating problem, they don't have the central heating concept even in fr*kkin Melbourne. It can feel cold in winter in Brisbane too, because people rely on little electric heaters or air conditioners if they are lucky. So it feels a lot colder than it actually is. Is that the case in Europe?
In some UK homes they seem to overheat them. I remember a childhood when you could go into some centrally-heated homes and smell the heat - amidst a fug it had been set so high.

(I grew up in a cold house and it didn't do me any harm. Character building. In fact it helped me deal with cold conditions working outside later on in life! So now we have a wood burner I thank my lucky stars...)
Old Jul 19th 2010, 1:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ProudVIC
Not sure where this 'Melbourne hot in summer' reputation has come from. Last summer there were 23 days above 30C (25%), 13 days above 35C (14%) and one over 40C. (around 1%)

That leaves 67 days or 75% of days under 30C maximum. Last summer was well above average temperature wise as well.

Brisbane on the other hand had 55 days out of 90 above 30C (61%), 10 of those days we re above 33C as well, the lowest maximum recorded for the whole of summer was 26C in December.

That's the big difference, Melbourne might get the odd period of very hot weather with some extreme days but in Brisbane it is day after day, inescapable and combined with constant humidity.

Crystal clear sunny day in Melbourne today with no wind, so not quite the dreary hole that some people from up north seem to think it is.
Brisbane's best summer is the spring one. The autumn summer is great too. The winter summer is mostly awesome. The summer summer is the worst one....but still lots of good days. Every month of the year averages somewhere in the 20's.....not something I'd expect you one summer people to understand.

So lets put Brisbane's worst season, summer, against Melbourne's worst, winter. That is the "big difference". Some will prefer to suffer through a sweaty summer to get the other 3 non humid summer seasons (daytime), some would rather put up with the freezing winter to avoid humidity altogether....all about choice.

Last edited by fish.01; Jul 19th 2010 at 1:58 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 4:45 pm
Just Joined

anatolie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fish.01
Brisbane's best summer is the spring one. The autumn summer is great too. The winter summer is mostly awesome. The summer summer is the worst one....but still lots of good days. Every month of the year averages somewhere in the 20's.....not something I'd expect you one summer people to understand.

So lets put Brisbane's worst season, summer, against Melbourne's worst, winter. That is the "big difference". Some will prefer to suffer through a sweaty summer to get the other 3 non humid summer seasons (daytime), some would rather put up with the freezing winter to avoid humidity altogether....all about choice.
I actually prefer London summer, as there is not much suffering if you don't have to use the tube.

Brisbane can get uncomfortable in summer, but if you drive down to Gold Coast or if living there, you will notice a nice sea breeze difference.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 8:44 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Melbourne Winter Weather?

Originally Posted by anatolie
The problem with Melbourne and other warmer Australian cities is the heating problem, they don't have the central heating concept even in fr*kkin Melbourne.
I have lived in Melbourne 3 years and I have rarely if ever been to a house that does not have central heating (Badge's house may be the exception). I have only been to 2 that have radiators but all the rest have ducted heating which I quite like as it heats up quickly and doesn't take up wall space.

The bigger problem is lack of insulation which means the houses cool down quickly too. This can of course be installed by the occupant should they wish.

BB
Old Jul 19th 2010, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

Summer in Brisbane - worst memory simply the perspiration from the 40 degrees and having to find the nearest air conditioned mall - and Melbourne it would be the sleet.

Brissie can get a bit too predictable - when we lived there we yearned for clouds - whereas even last summer in Melbourne we had some very pleasant days amidst the usual grey and showery weather.

For me Melbourne has the variety and the seasons - Victoria for us.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I have lived in Melbourne 3 years and I have rarely if ever been to a house that does not have central heating (Badge's house may be the exception). I have only been to 2 that have radiators but all the rest have ducted heating which I quite like as it heats up quickly and doesn't take up wall space.

The bigger problem is lack of insulation which means the houses cool down quickly too. This can of course be installed by the occupant should they wish.

BB
We have ducted heating in our rented house and it is absolute rubbish! By the time the air gets round to the main bedroom it is freezing! It's like an icebox in there, never warms up in the winter. And the mainliving area has so many windows it is like sitting in a wind tunnel. We usually sit with blankets over our knees in winter.
Plus as it is rented we unfortunately cannot just instal insulation if we wish.
The plus point is that we dont need air-con in the summer so dont end up with huge power bills!
Fortunately we are about to move into our new house which should be a bit cosier.

Really annoying thing is everyone keeps saying stuff like - "oh but your scottish you must be used to it? Isnt this like a summers day in scotland?" - (and then collapse in laughter at their own comedic abilities.)
Hmm. just because we are used to the cold doesn't mean we actually like it or want it!!
Plus our house in Scotland was double glazed, well insulated and had very good central heating.

Right, now im going to go and put my scarf and gloves on and watch some telly.....

(and before anyone suggests a move to another, warmer, part of aus - we had to come to Melbourne because that is where OH's employer needed him.)
Old Jul 19th 2010, 10:41 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

I quite like my weather.... none of the extremes that everybody else seems to complain about.
Attached Thumbnails Melbourne Winter Weather?-gong-weather.png  
Old Jul 19th 2010, 10:56 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
Fortunately we are about to move into our new house which should be a bit cosier.
Glad you are about to move into your own house which should be warmer - rentals tend to be under-specced both in heating and insulation! Ducted heating is fantastic if it is correctly specced and accompanied by insulation and double glazing - our house is lovely and warm.

Really annoying thing is everyone keeps saying stuff like - "oh but your scottish you must be used to it? Isnt this like a summers day in scotland?" - (and then collapse in laughter at their own comedic abilities.)
Yeh I find the stereotypes of the UK especially by the older generation of Aussies rather annoying, my accountant told me yesterday that his daughter was about to spend a year in London and they had told her she would be living on baked beans as London was so expensive, not that they've ever left Australia themselves!

Plus our house in Scotland was double glazed, well insulated and had very good central heating.
Yep, northern hemisphere houses are well catered for in this regard, plus passive heating which a lot of people don't realise, but this is what keeps your house warm overnight when you have had the heating on during the day.

(and before anyone suggests a move to another, warmer, part of aus - we had to come to Melbourne because that is where OH's employer needed him.)
The most important thing about emigration is an income. Without that, it doesn't matter how good your ducted heating is, your emigration won't succeed.

BB
Old Jul 19th 2010, 11:03 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

I may be a southern nancy b@stard, and I do like living here but I'm with Scotdownunder: If another Aussie says to me, "You're a pom, you ought to be used to it", I am going to chin him/her.

My reply to that non funny line is...well yes I'm used to it, but NOT INDOORS! Then they look suitably offended. Strike One!
Old Jul 19th 2010, 11:22 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
well yes I'm used to it, but NOT INDOORS!
Good one.

I'm going to use that next time.

BB
Old Jul 19th 2010, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
I may be a southern nancy b@stard, and I do like living here but I'm with Scotdownunder: If another Aussie says to me, "You're a pom, you ought to be used to it", I am going to chin him/her.

My reply to that non funny line is...well yes I'm used to it, but NOT INDOORS! Then they look suitably offended. Strike One!
I like it, i may well use that one too!

Last edited by AlliF; Jul 19th 2010 at 11:25 pm. Reason: sp
Old Jul 20th 2010, 12:03 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Ducted heating..well..yes..good sytems work..crap ones don't.
But my point in replying is that especially with Australia apparantly being the land of asthma...those who have ducted heating, crap or otherwise need to be advised to clean it!! There are serious health implications with a dirty dusty blown air system.

Those with reverse cycle aircon...it really only heats the air, eventually the fabric of the house, that is if there is any fabric to start with. But the main pest is that most are positioned high up (for cooling in summer) and as we all know, heat rises.

The romans knew how to do it; heat from underneath.

Comment has been made of a lack of recirculated hot water central heating systems as per UK / most of Europe. After two years of internet searching, I finally found it on the net here and I have installed it. The boiler is Italian and is a 37 kw job. Whilst comparing kilowatts with btus is a bit like comparing apples and oranges, 37 kw is approx 90,000 btus. The radiators are Dutch and very modern in design. The pipework is a five layer compound and can be bent by hand. One company that supplies all this is:

http://autoheet.com.au/

Keep warm!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.