Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Housing bubble in Australia

Housing bubble in Australia

Old Mar 9th 2010, 10:48 pm
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of
Default Re: Housing bubble in Australia

Originally Posted by Steve2009
Any properties I have looked at have rental yields of less than 5% given that interest rates are currently historically low at 7%
But as long as there is CAPITAL GAIN, everything is sunny and bright. Don't forget the unwritten law 'house prices double every 7 years'. Australia is unique and the people here, though they look the same, are in fact different from the rest of the world. (ok, I'm taking the mickey now )

Last edited by coolshadows; Mar 9th 2010 at 10:53 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by coolshadows
But as long as their is CAPITAL GAIN, everything is sunny and bright. Don't forget the unwritten law 'house prices double every 7 years'. Australia is unique and the people here, though they look the same, are in fact different from the rest of the world. (ok, I'm taking the mickey now )
Certainly different to Amsterdam where the average time to double (in real value terms) over the course of a four hundred years study would be 36 years or so.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 11:13 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Theres is no shortage of supply in Australia over a third of housing units in Australia have two or more vacant bedrooms as of 2008. There are hundreds of thousands of vacant units in a country with just over 8 million households. Every other economy in the world where there has been a bubble has thought that they were 'different' and that their bubbles were predicated on fundamentals. Even Ireland with it's inclement climate thought that the migration gravy train would never end. Our builders thought that 60 to 80 thousands new units per annum was a sustainable level of demand. Queensland is the Florida of Australia.
Not really sure what this has got to do with your original statement about shanty towns.
Any properties I have looked at have rental yields of less than 5% given that interest rates are currently historically low at 7% they are non-performing assets. Show me a suburb that yields an actual 10% plus per annum and I will invest today.
Show me any asset that "will" return 10% per annum and I will also buy. Earlier you said that there was a disconnect between rental pricing and purchase pricing, perhaps I don't understand your angle here? What do you mean when you say that there is a "disconnect"?

Your second point is very valid. Property is no different to any other other investment asset or class, yet Australian's treat it differently and invest for a tax break on a loss making investment on the hopes of a capital gain. It's a 'greater fool' investment. They would not adopt the same approach to equities over the long term, but property is 'different'.
I don't think Australians invest for a tax break. People across the world simply make investments subject to the tax regime they are living in, and they adjust their preferences accordingly.

You say it is a "loss making investment" - what do you mean by that?

Plenty of people here borrow money to make long term investments in business, I know I'm not the only one. Investment in property is far more common though because it is perceived to be "easier".
Old Mar 9th 2010, 11:26 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly different to Amsterdam where the average time to double (in real value terms) over the course of a four hundred years study would be 36 years or so.

That's not what the article you quoted says:

"Real home prices did roughly double, but took nearly 350 years to do so."
Old Mar 9th 2010, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by asprilla
Not really sure what this has got to do with your original statement about shanty towns.
There is no shortage of properties in Australia:
a) There is no mass of homeless families, they are living somewhere.
b) Statistics show that there are vast under-utilised units and there are plenty of surplus units.
Show me any asset that "will" return 10% per annum and I will also buy. Earlier you said that there was a disconnect between rental pricing and purchase pricing, perhaps I don't understand your angle here? What do you mean when you say that there is a "disconnect"?
Investors are not encouraged to borrow for other investments. With interest rates at 7% plus in Australia, rental yields would need to be superior to 10% to make borrowing to invest attractive. That 3% net yield is a slim margin given that interest rates are likely to rise in the short term and continue to rise over the medium term until this bubble bursts.

The disconnect between rental price and purchase price is that rental yields are sub 5% and interest rates are above 7%. The cost to rent a property is less than 5% of it's capital cost and the cost of the funds to purchase that property are greater than 7% of the capital cost. It's at least 2% of capital cost more expensive to buy a property versus renting.

If you buy then there is a negative risk that the capital value will depreciate and a positive risk the price will appreciate. Conversely, renters are not investing in their housing utility, they are choosing to pay as they use. Their risks are their security of tenure and that the price of their housing utility will increase out of line with general inflation.

You could argue that capital employed (i.e. savings/deposit) in purchasing the investment reduces the cost of the borrowed funds for the capital costs. Then you also have to consider the opportunity cost of employing that capital in a property investment versus having it employed elsewhere. ING currently offers 5.85% APR which is better than the sub 5% offered by property investment with a lower risk of capital depreciation. Deposit rates are expected to increase with RBA rate hikes and the end of the deposit guarantee.
I don't think Australians invest for a tax break. People across the world simply make investments subject to the tax regime they are living in, and they adjust their preferences accordingly.

You say it is a "loss making investment" - what do you mean by that?

Plenty of people here borrow money to make long term investments in business, I know I'm not the only one. Investment in property is far more common though because it is perceived to be "easier".
Property has a negative yield on a cash basis. The cash cost of funds (borrowing or opportunity cost) is higher than the cash yielded. The only return comes from the positive risk of capital appreciation. There is an equal or greater negative risk of capital depreciation.

Tax breaks are offered because an investment would otherwise be unattractive. The problem with tax breaks is that they can be removed. While you may consider this unlikely and in the medium term you are likely correct. I believe that what was intended as a hedge against risk has been leaned on excessively in Australia and the tax break is no longer effective in making the investment attractive.

The fact that property investment is common (you said easy) and the accepted "knowledge" should raise more alarm bells. The greater fool concept is that you understand an investment to be unattractive but that others (the greater fools) believe it to be attractive so you invest with the intention of offloading your assets on the greater fool at some point in the future. This is the opposite of the strategy employed by the likes of Warren Buffet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory

Last edited by Steve2009; Mar 9th 2010 at 11:39 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 11:45 pm
Account Open

Property has a negative yield on a cash basis. The cash cost of funds (borrowing or opportunity cost) is higher than the cash yielded. The only return comes from the positive risk of capital appreciation. There is an equal or greater negative risk of capital depreciation.
So by your line of thinking, investing in a company that does not pay high dividends is a "loss making investment" ?

I think that there are possibly a few flaws in what you are saying.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

That's not what the article you quoted says:
I believe you're correct. From memory, I have a figure of 2% in mind for that study and I'm not sure where I got it from. A 2% increase over compounded over 36 years would give you 100% increase.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 11:49 pm
Account Open

Tax breaks are offered because an investment would otherwise be unattractive. The problem with tax breaks is that they can be removed. While you may consider this unlikely and in the medium term you are likely correct. I believe that what was intended as a hedge against risk has been leaned on excessively in Australia and the tax break is no longer effective in making the investment attractive.
But as far as I know, there are no tax breaks that are specific to property it isn't treated any differently from any other asset class.

So how are taxation laws relevant? you have to deal with them no matter what you invest in.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 11:50 pm
Account Open

I believe you're correct. From memory, I have a figure of 2% in mind for that study and I'm not sure where I got it from. A 2% increase over compounded over 36 years would give you 100% increase.
It gave the figure as 0.2% ! As such it would take just under 348 years to double your capital value. That's certainly a long time to wait.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

So by your line of thinking, investing in a company that does not pay high dividends is a "loss making investment" ?

I think that there are possibly a few flaws in what you are saying.
Not entirely correct. I do believe in value investing, that does not necessarily require that the company pay high dividends. It could be that the company could be undervalued versus it's assets.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 11:52 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I think the article mentioned a 0.2% increase each year, hence the 350 years.

Oops, Aspirilla beat me to it!
Old Mar 9th 2010, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

But as far as I know, there are no tax breaks that are specific to property it isn't treated any differently from any other asset class.

So how are taxation laws relevant? you have to deal with them no matter what you invest in.
Yes, it's true the tax laws are the same for any investment. I believe that it was intended as a hedge against the possibility of a loss on a cash basis. I believe it was intended to encourage investment in a general sense.

It has been excessively leaned on by property interests to subsidise an almost certain loss on a cash basis with property investment. I haven't been in Australia that long so I don't know how long this has been the case. But the perceived wisdom in Australia over the last two years has been that it is acceptable to make a loss on a cash basis because negative gearing will cover those losses.

I'm guessing here but I reckon property spruikers would advise investors to borrow for proerty investments to take advantage of this tax break rather than use their own capital? I read of a similar concept recently, that of renter investors.
It gave the figure as 0.2% ! As such it would take just under 348 years to double your capital value. That's certainly a long time to wait.
You're probably correct, I'll confess that I actually did not re-read that article before posting it. I've read it many times before but I seem to have mis-recalled that figure.

Last edited by Steve2009; Mar 10th 2010 at 12:02 am.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Mentions of renter-investors:
http://www.news.com.au/money/propert...-1225791188531
http://www.melbourneinstitute.com/hi..._bu-0504-2.pdf
Old Mar 10th 2010, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.theage.com.au/business/ho...0310-pxpp.html

The number of home loans plummeted by 7.9 per cent in January, the biggest fall since June 2000, after the phasing out of last year's First Home Buyers grant and interest rate rises sapped demand.

January's result follows a 5.5 per cent drop in December, the Australian Bureau of Statistics reported, citing seasonally adjusted figures. Economists had been predicting a 2 per cent increase in January.

All up, the number of commitments for owner-occupied housing fell to 51,056 for the month.Total housing finance by value fell by 3.3 per cent in January, seasonally adjusted, to $21.2 billion.

''While consumers are shrugging off interest rate hikes, rising borrowing costs are clearly hurting the housing market," said Moody's Analytics economist Matthew Circosta.
Decreasing number of greater fools who are willing to take on more and more debt to pay for over priced property...

Bring on the consecutive rate rises!

Last edited by IndieG; Mar 10th 2010 at 12:34 am.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 1:00 am
Banned

swigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to all

Originally Posted by IndieG
http://www.theage.com.au/business/ho...0310-pxpp.html

Decreasing number of greater fools who are willing to take on more and more debt to pay for over priced property...

Bring on the consecutive rate rises!
Full article here:

http://www.smh.com.au/business/home-...0310-pxpp.html

Another headline from the SMH which warns that house prices could go higher according to the RBA!

http://www.smh.com.au/business/rba-w...0310-pwlj.html

So, it appears that less people are taking on mortgages and the one's that do are going to have to take on bigger one's to meet the asking price.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.