Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Housing bubble in Australia

Housing bubble in Australia

Old Mar 10th 2010, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Housing bubble in Australia

Originally Posted by swigski
So, it appears that less people are taking on mortgages and the one's that do are going to have to take on bigger one's to meet the asking price.
Must be all that Chinese cash floating around.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 1:15 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve2009
It has been excessively leaned on by property interests to subsidise an almost certain loss on a cash basis with property investment. I haven't been in Australia that long so I don't know how long this has been the case. But the perceived wisdom in Australia over the last two years has been that it is acceptable to make a loss on a cash basis because negative gearing will cover those losses.
I agree. I think that this will have to change going forwards.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve2009
Must be all that Chinese cash floating around.
......but it is different here, it's Chinese cash, not like all that Saudi, Russian, and wait, the ruler's money that was floating around in Dubai

This thread reminds me so much of the one below with 1,239 replies lol (I had the highest post count there)

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...rty+apocalypse

Last edited by IndieG; Mar 10th 2010 at 2:01 am.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by IndieG
This thread reminds me so much of the one below with 1,239 replies lol (I had the highest post count there)
History has a habit of repeating itself. These discussions are always highly emotive too. In Ireland our Prime Minister famously told the bears to go kill themselves.

http://www.finfacts.com/irelandbusin..._1010514.shtml
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...ts-456162.html
Old Mar 10th 2010, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Sound familiar?

You're being rediculous, there's plenty more people with plenty more money that will continue the boom.

FACT
I don't really have a dog in this fight- it would take a lot more than a 30% fall before I started loosing money but some people rely on what is written here for information (Heaven help them!) and a lot of speculation is being presented as fact.

If the "experts" can't even agree on what is happening in a mature market like the UK then what is the point in writing reports about Dubai?
At the risk of stirring up another hornet's nest I think some people (in real life, not just on this board) are getting stressy because they missed out on the property boom last time and are hoping if prices crash they might get another chance. Or they just can't stand the thought of people making a lot of money when they missed out. I don't need to name names- they already know who they are.

Me? I'm chilled
Total and absolute bollocks
There will be no crash at all
It wont be allowed....

Mark my words.
And your point is Indie?

There's loads of people wanting places here.

It will not happen.

Last edited by IndieG; Mar 10th 2010 at 1:35 am.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 2:10 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
So by your line of thinking, investing in a company that does not pay high dividends is a "loss making investment" ?

I think that there are possibly a few flaws in what you are saying.
Here's a clue Asprilla.

The first home I bought in the UK was built in 1970, home computers had just been invented. Since 1970, Microsoft has built up a multi billion dollar empire. My first home is still standing there in the UK, producing nothing.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 3:19 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pomtastic
Here's a clue Asprilla.

The first home I bought in the UK was built in 1970, home computers had just been invented. Since 1970, Microsoft has built up a multi billion dollar empire. My first home is still standing there in the UK, producing nothing.

your first home is provides shelter...and it has done since 1970.

I'm not sure I understand your clue ?
Old Mar 10th 2010, 3:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by asprilla
your first home is provides shelter...and it has done since 1970.
i.e. in economic terms it has provided a housing utility and can be valued accordingly. When the capital valuation becomes detached from the value of that housing utility that is when you have to get worried.

The most accurate measure of housing utility costs I believe are rental prices. Although in Australia rental tenants are heavily subsidised by highly geared landlords whose cash loss is their cash gain.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 6:28 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pomtastic
Here's a clue Asprilla.

But what would have happened if you'd bought Enron instead.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

An update regarding vacancy rates in Australia:

This article puts vacancy rate in Australia at 10%...
http://www.hotspotting.com.au/index....&productId=351

This article puts the vacancy rate in the US at just over 12%....
http://www.doctorhousingbubble.com/t...ousing-trends/

Ireland is considerably higher.... somewhere between 17% and 25%...
http://www.irisheconomy.ie/index.php.../empty-houses/
Old Mar 11th 2010, 5:29 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
But what would have happened if you'd bought Enron instead.
You would be absolutely "shredded"
Old Mar 11th 2010, 8:09 am
Banned

swigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to all

Mortgage stress up again!!

http://www.smh.com.au/business/mortg...0311-q0q3.html

Last edited by swigski; Mar 11th 2010 at 8:10 am. Reason: a
Old Mar 12th 2010, 3:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by swigski

The next 2 interest rate rises will be the litmus test. Can the new foreign buyers carry the market is the crux of the matter.

Old Mar 12th 2010, 8:13 am
Banned

swigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to all

http://www.smh.com.au/business/housi...0312-q2te.html

The cost of buying house in most capital cities as a multiple of average income is around 8 times now compared to 5 times 20 years ago, he said.
Old Mar 12th 2010, 10:19 am
Just Joined

DavyB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lyx
Wow all 700 now...... your head will explode at exactly the same moment as the bubble bursts.
i love bubbles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.