Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Exchange rate AUD Vs GBP £1 buys $1.83

Exchange rate AUD Vs GBP £1 buys $1.83

Old Feb 4th 2014, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exchange rate AUD Vs GBP £1 buys $1.83

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I don't believe this video. Sorry

Just someone trying to flog a magazine through fear mongering
I agree with you for the most part. They are definitely trying to sell you something and that's where they went wrong in the video, they shouldn't have connected the state of the British economy directly with their magazine, they're are just riding on the waves. Bad move. That was their first mistake. The second was to slightly exaggerate the situation. They didn't need to do that I don't think. Having said that, minus a few'of their graphs, which are total bullshit, there is a fair amount of what they said that I think is actually correct.

I know the recent review of the Gross Domestic Product is the best it's been since 2007 and that we are supposed to rely on this for a true valuation of the economy but I'm still skeptical because I know that high GDP rates don't necessarily mean improvements in people's day to day lives. Not for us commoners anyway!

Last edited by Molly Coddle; Feb 4th 2014 at 11:18 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP

And that's down to politics, intelligence, and if democracy is real.

There's not much hope then if that's the case! I don't see any intelligence within our politicians or any real democracy going on...Do you?
Old Feb 4th 2014, 10:59 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
There's not much hope then if that's the case! I don't see any intelligence within our politicians or any real democracy going on...Do you?
If that bothers you.....I wouldn't come over here
Old Feb 4th 2014, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Grayling
If that bothers you.....I wouldn't come over here
I can hardly wait!

What with fish from Argentina, crap sausages, expensive cars and spiders the size of saucers, I think I'm just asking for trouble!

How long do you think I will last G, a week , maybe two?

Hey it can't be that bad can it? Julia Gillards out of the picture!
Old Feb 4th 2014, 11:29 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Hey it can't be that bad can it? Julia Gillards out of the picture!
.......And now we have the mad monk....it is like a Whitehall farce
Old Feb 4th 2014, 11:33 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with you for the most part. They are definitely trying to sell you something and that's where they went wrong in the video, they shouldn't have connected the state of the British economy directly with their magazine, they're are just riding on the waves. Bad move. That was their first mistake. The second was to slightly exaggerate the situation. They didn't need to do that I don't think. Having said that, minus a few'of their graphs, which are total bullshit, there is a fair amount of what they said that I think is actually correct.
BTW, I dug out a copy of their 'wealth preservation report', the thing they spend 30mins trying to flog, with the sub to their magazine. Their brilliant ideas?
  1. Gold coins
  2. A share portfolio focused on dividends
  3. Investments in Japan & Europe !
So basically, the thing that they say got 1930s americans locked up for 5 years, shares that they have already said would be gutted in value in any collapse, and the markets that have already suffered somewhat, in the idea that they couldn't get worse.

Wow, wonderful insight there guys....

Kind of the point I was making
Old Feb 5th 2014, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

berserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of light

No such thing as democracy.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 4:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PominOz1
I only saw the good news from UK stating construction at 6.5 year high. Dollar or Interest rates here will need to fall as unemployment bites. BRIC economies full of holes and that's not even including crackpot economies like Argentina and Turkey.
I sense this. The amount of job offers coming my way from the UK is staggering. Unfortunately they are paying the same they were as 3 years ago.

Mostly government infrastructure jobs around Crossrail, High Speed 2, etc.

More debt for the British government.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

berserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of light

I thought HS2 is no more.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 9:30 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by berserk
I thought HS2 is no more.
Still being planned

Whether they will actually build it when it comes down to the crunch remains to be seen - they most definitely don't have the money
Old Feb 5th 2014, 9:35 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
I sense this. The amount of job offers coming my way from the UK is staggering. Unfortunately they are paying the same they were as 3 years ago.

Mostly government infrastructure jobs around Crossrail, High Speed 2, etc.

More debt for the British government.

I'm being offered jobs in the UK too - engineering is booming big time over there. Rates are going up dramatically - I've heard of up to GBP70ph for modelling designers

Plenty of talk in the office about guys heading over - I know of 3 guys who are FIFO'ing to the UK. With the increased rates, better exchange rate and the ability to legally reduce your tax (let some other suckers pay for their welfare state that they can no longer afford), it is now a very viable option
Old Feb 5th 2014, 10:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I'm being offered jobs in the UK too - engineering is booming big time over there. Rates are going up dramatically - I've heard of up to GBP70ph for modelling designers

Plenty of talk in the office about guys heading over - I know of 3 guys who are FIFO'ing to the UK. With the increased rates, better exchange rate and the ability to legally reduce your tax (let some other suckers pay for their welfare state that they can no longer afford), it is now a very viable option
Unfortunately I'm not seeing the cash with the offers. Modelling gigs around infrastructure like HS2 and Crossrail. What industry you seeing it in?

Westconnex, Light rail and airport kicking off in Sydney over next few years.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 12:24 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Beoz
Unfortunately I'm not seeing the cash with the offers. Modelling gigs around infrastructure like HS2 and Crossrail. What industry you seeing it in?

Westconnex, Light rail and airport kicking off in Sydney over next few years.
Gas, nuclear

Power and rail less - GBP50-55 approx in London
Old Feb 6th 2014, 1:53 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Gas, nuclear

Power and rail less - GBP50-55 approx in London
Where are you seeing the Nuclear jobs Zulu? I'm ex BNFL, and wouldn't mind getting back into the game again if I could - particularly if GE get the green light on the PRISM plants at Sellafield.

S
Old Feb 6th 2014, 2:03 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Where are you seeing the Nuclear jobs Zulu? I'm ex BNFL, and wouldn't mind getting back into the game again if I could - particularly if GE get the green light on the PRISM plants at Sellafield.

S
Have a look on indeed.co.uk

The best online resource for engineering jobs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.