Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Exchange rate AUD Vs GBP £1 buys $1.83

Exchange rate AUD Vs GBP £1 buys $1.83

Old Jul 6th 2015, 6:03 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Exchange rate AUD Vs GBP £1 buys $1.83

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Definitely getting better
All depends on personal circumstances. Each one cent drop nudges me a little bit closer to my 2011 London salary and, with it, a one-way ticket back to Heathrow.

There was an article over the weekend about net migration tailing off dramatically in recent months. Developing world migrants might still want to come, but the numbers of British and Irish comparing and thinking "Wow - look how much more I can earn in Auszealand!" must be diminishing by the day (or hour, in recent times).
Old Jul 6th 2015, 6:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DC10
"Better" if you are contemplating a move to Aus, or don't mind your personal wealth in global terms losing a percent or two every month.

I am surprised there aren't more people on here complaining about being trapped in Australasia now that the £XXX,XXX which they brought out in 2011 has been devalued by 40%. I certainly knew people in that boat when the Pound soared in the late 90s / early 2000s.
I moved here in 2011. I did not bring a penny with me thankfully. I started from scratch and left the quids in the UK. Mind you, it could be time to start thinking about bringing the quids over .......... second thought screw that ....... I think the dollar to the pound thing shows the value of keeping money in multiple currencies.

To be honest I'm not a fan of where the dollar is headed for the global wealth reasons you outline.
Old Jul 6th 2015, 6:12 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DC10
All depends on personal circumstances. Each one cent drop nudges me a little bit closer to my 2011 London salary and, with it, a one-way ticket back to Heathrow.

There was an article over the weekend about net migration tailing off dramatically in recent months. Developing world migrants might still want to come, but the numbers of British and Irish comparing and thinking "Wow - look how much more I can earn in Auszealand!" must be diminishing by the day (or hour, in recent times).
Win win for Australia then
Old Jul 6th 2015, 7:00 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jul 6th 2015, 7:03 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Win win for Australia then
Hasn't stopped the South African refugees though
Old Jul 6th 2015, 7:07 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
I moved here in 2011. I did not bring a penny with me thankfully. I started from scratch and left the quids in the UK. Mind you, it could be time to start thinking about bringing the quids over .......... second thought screw that ....... I think the dollar to the pound thing shows the value of keeping money in multiple currencies.

To be honest I'm not a fan of where the dollar is headed for the global wealth reasons you outline.
I came over here just a short while before you, kept the UK house and spent as little sterling as possible (the exchange rate then was 1.6 to 1). Back then it really hurt to transfer my hard earned savings over. But today our house has gone up by about £100k and the rate is now comfortably over 2 to 1. Waiting until now has made a huge difference here in Canberra where the house prices haven't changed that much. If we were living in Sydney? Well.....
Old Jul 6th 2015, 7:13 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Hasn't stopped the South African refugees though
Snagging your women and drinking your beer

And increasing the overall IQ of the population - and making it better looking
Old Jul 6th 2015, 7:14 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Snagging your women and drinking your beer

And increasing the overall IQ of the population - and making it better looking
I'm not in Australia any more though

So I must have reduced the average Australian IQ when I left
Old Jul 6th 2015, 7:19 am
Proudly Deplorable

I'm not in Australia any more though

So I must have reduced the average Australian IQ when I left
Works for the UK too champ

We're everywhere - making the world a better place
Old Jul 6th 2015, 7:20 am
Bitter and twisted

We're everywhere - making the world a better place
Couldn't hang on to your own country though could you?
Old Jul 6th 2015, 7:37 am
Proudly Deplorable

Couldn't hang on to your own country though could you?
Nope
Old Jul 6th 2015, 8:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Note that the talk is now that the RBA won't reduce but rather increase interest rates which will have a likely effect of strengthening the dollar. Markets had been factoring in possible interest rate cuts by the RBA in the recent move.

https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/au...te-rise-545453

"Should the RBA keep rates on hold and markets begin factoring higher rates ahead we could well see the AUD start to strengthen."

There's also expectation of AUD firming against the $US:

Australian Dollar Forecast
Old Jul 6th 2015, 8:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
I came over here just a short while before you, kept the UK house and spent as little sterling as possible (the exchange rate then was 1.6 to 1). Back then it really hurt to transfer my hard earned savings over. But today our house has gone up by about £100k and the rate is now comfortably over 2 to 1. Waiting until now has made a huge difference here in Canberra where the house prices haven't changed that much. If we were living in Sydney? Well.....
Why rush? Keep the diversity in the UK and wait til it hits 0.35
Old Jul 6th 2015, 9:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Note that the talk is now that the RBA won't reduce but rather increase interest rates which will have a likely effect of strengthening the dollar. Markets had been factoring in possible interest rate cuts by the RBA in the recent move.

https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/au...te-rise-545453

"Should the RBA keep rates on hold and markets begin factoring higher rates ahead we could well see the AUD start to strengthen."

There's also expectation of AUD firming against the $US:

Australian Dollar Forecast

Saw 2 articles today with mention of rising rates. Different from predictions a month ago.

Nice buying on the ASX right now too.
Old Jul 6th 2015, 10:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Meanwhile in China

http://mobile.news.com.au/finance/economy/chinese-chaos-worse-than-greece/story-fnu2pycd-1227430761673

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.