Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Exchange rate AUD Vs GBP £1 buys $1.83

Exchange rate AUD Vs GBP £1 buys $1.83

Old Feb 15th 2015, 9:34 pm
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exchange rate AUD Vs GBP £1 buys $1.83

Yep, it was 3 dollars to a pound when I came out here in 1993, everything seemed cheaper here back then.
Old Feb 16th 2015, 4:21 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by spuddyo
Yep, it was 3 dollars to a pound when I came out here in 1993, everything seemed cheaper here back then.
Yes I can remember moving from Sydney to London in 2003 and going from a respectable entry-level job earning about $35,000 to a very similar role which paid almost $100,000 when converted

But the flip side was that a London cup of coffee cost about $6 and a month's rent for a pokey flat in a not-especially-nice part of town was $3,000, which would have been extortion in Sydney at the time (and still is)

I also knew a few Poms who'd sold up and moved to Aus and NZ in the early 1990s only to become utterly trapped here as a result of the currency moves soon after - I guess the risk is that that will be happening to a few all over again now
Old Feb 16th 2015, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DC10
Yes I can remember moving from Sydney to London in 2003 and going from a respectable entry-level job earning about $35,000 to a very similar role which paid almost $100,000 when converted

But the flip side was that a London cup of coffee cost about $6 and a month's rent for a pokey flat in a not-especially-nice part of town was $3,000, which would have been extortion in Sydney at the time (and still is)

I also knew a few Poms who'd sold up and moved to Aus and NZ in the early 1990s only to become utterly trapped here as a result of the currency moves soon after - I guess the risk is that that will be happening to a few all over again now
When I first moved there, I found clothes mid range and above very expensive. The exchange rate was great but even after that things like decent jeans and shirts cost an awful lot more than they did in the UK. People get hung up on the ratio but often fail to actually calculate how much something is.
That gate swings both ways though.

Having lived and payed tax in 5 countries, I only have one economic barometer for this stuff. That is to calculate the amount of discretionary income you have each month. Everything else is a bit academic because you have to spend it anyway.

Things can get tricky when you might not stay in one place and forex rates need to be taken into account for future savings etc.
Old Feb 16th 2015, 12:01 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

It's extraordinary how oblivious your average Aussie is to this 'benign collapse' in their currency.

Yes, the AUD has been overvalued for several years, yes the falling oil price helps to insulate from inflation, but for a currency to lose 30-odd percent of its value in such a short space of time would normally be an extremely worrying sign (cue 'Pound in your pocket' and 'Crisis, what crisis?' headlines in a grown-up country like the UK).

I get the impression that most Ockers are just happy to keep watching The Block, discussing 'major political issues' which would barely rate a mention in most British parish newsletters, and know that their beloved house prices have ticked up another couple of percent (in Aussie toilet-paper dollars, that is!).
This is agenda nonsense

AUD is entirely within its range against GBP and USD

Sure it is trending to the lower side against USD (but still acceptable) but is average in relation to GBP. Against JPY it has hardly moved up or down (a much more important currency to Australia than GBP)

When it comes to advanced western economies, as long as their currency remains within range, then they can function quite well

Take USD/GBP. In the last few years it has been over 2 and down to 1.20-odd. Life went on normally whatever the rate. Nobody on BE was agenda whinging

Take SFR. This currency has rocketed due to the instability in the Eurozone and the GFC. Since the beginning of the year, after their central bank stopped protection it, the SFR has appreciated considerably. This is going to have a big effect on their large export sector and tourism, but their economy is not going to crash

Australia has become one of the wealthiest countries in the world despite currency fluctuations champ
Old Feb 17th 2015, 1:53 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Amazulu
This is agenda nonsense

AUD is entirely within its range against GBP and USD

Sure it is trending to the lower side against USD (but still acceptable) but is average in relation to GBP. Against JPY it has hardly moved up or down (a much more important currency to Australia than GBP)

When it comes to advanced western economies, as long as their currency remains within range, then they can function quite well

Take USD/GBP. In the last few years it has been over 2 and down to 1.20-odd. Life went on normally whatever the rate. Nobody on BE was agenda whinging

Take SFR. This currency has rocketed due to the instability in the Eurozone and the GFC. Since the beginning of the year, after their central bank stopped protection it, the SFR has appreciated considerably. This is going to have a big effect on their large export sector and tourism, but their economy is not going to crash

Australia has become one of the wealthiest countries in the world despite currency fluctuations champ
Can you give some examples of currencies which have depreciated so quickly without being accompanied by a major financial crisis?
Old Feb 17th 2015, 3:26 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Can you give some examples of currencies which have depreciated so quickly without being accompanied by a major financial crisis?
Where's the financial crisis today?
Old Feb 17th 2015, 4:06 am
BE Enthusiast

I just go back to the original point that a currency losing 25-30 percent of its value in a short space of time is not normally a good sign for the country involved. Nothing more, nothing less.
Old Feb 17th 2015, 4:41 am
Proudly Deplorable

I just go back to the original point that a currency losing 25-30 percent of its value in a short space of time is not normally a good sign for the country involved. Nothing more, nothing less.

But no financial crisis

Nothing more, nothing less
Old Feb 17th 2015, 10:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

That's an interesting topic. The good thing is they could have found their freedom about 5 years ago. On the flipside you saw many a thread in recent years about British Expats wanting to move their money to Oz and struggling with the exchange rate. Hopefully they left it there any are moving it now. Moving forward who knows. Commodity prices won't be like this forever. Europe will be a thorn in the UK's side for some time to come.

I guess the best thing to do is have some money in both places. I just recently spent some time in Europe and the UK. I used pounds to finance it. Right now is not a great time to use the $A to do it.
Old Feb 17th 2015, 10:57 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
That's an interesting topic. The good thing is they could have found their freedom about 5 years ago. On the flipside you saw many a thread in recent years about British Expats wanting to move their money to Oz and struggling with the exchange rate. Hopefully they left it there any are moving it now. Moving forward who knows. Commodity prices won't be like this forever. Europe will be a thorn in the UK's side for some time to come.

I guess the best thing to do is have some money in both places. I just recently spent some time in Europe and the UK. I used pounds to finance it. Right now is not a great time to use the $A to do it.

And these very low Australian interest rates won't last forever either...

S
Old Feb 18th 2015, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

sign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
And these very low Australian interest rates won't last forever either...

S
They said that in Japan; take a look at Denmark, and Sweden. Rates are only going one way, and that's not up. I never thought I would be in a situation where I am getting 1.25% Gross interest on my savings account in the UK, gobsmacked, but I cannot see it getting any better, hard and rock springs to mind. Australia is no different to anywhere else, it cannot insulate itself from the global economy, so Mr Stevens I think will keep dropping until either there is a currency crisis or the US lifts which for the life of me cannot see happening. The debts are just to big. I think Japan set the course and we are al following it. But that's my take, we all have different opinions and no one has a crystal ball.
Old Feb 18th 2015, 1:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sign
They said that in Japan; take a look at Denmark, and Sweden. Rates are only going one way, and that's not up. I never thought I would be in a situation where I am getting 1.25% Gross interest on my savings account in the UK, gobsmacked, but I cannot see it getting any better, hard and rock springs to mind. Australia is no different to anywhere else, it cannot insulate itself from the global economy, so Mr Stevens I think will keep dropping until either there is a currency crisis or the US lifts which for the life of me cannot see happening. The debts are just to big. I think Japan set the course and we are al following it. But that's my take, we all have different opinions and no one has a crystal ball.
They said that in the US and ................. ?
Old Feb 18th 2015, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

sign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond reputesign has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
They said that in the US and ................. ?
United States Fed Funds Rate | 1971-2015 | Data | Chart | Calendar

Jaw boning Patience in raising interest rates
Old Feb 18th 2015, 4:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by sign
United States Fed Funds Rate | 1971-2015 | Data | Chart | Calendar

Jaw boning Patience in raising interest rates
That's the point. Stagnate interests rates are not the only thing to affect currency.
Old Feb 18th 2015, 11:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Amazulu
But no financial crisis

Nothing more, nothing less
Not this week, no.

But the deficit goes up every day towards European levels and that is whilst the economy is (in theory) still growing. The political and (absurd) voting system harks to another era and has no hope of coping with American-style partisanship and the difficult decisions which are now necessary.

The resources sector is a dead duck, and it remains to be seen how long the beloved real estate sector can keep running on the fumes of the boom. If that goes the banks will be well and truly stuffed.

It all feels very much like the UK circa late 2007 to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.