cost of living

Old Mar 23rd 2004, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

kath29 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default cost of living

I had assumed that the cost of living would be lower in Aus but reading all the threads on this site it seems that the cost of living is much higher. Am I doing the right thing in considering emigrating? I want a higher standard of living,not lower.
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: cost of living

Originally posted by kath29
I had assumed that the cost of living would be lower in Aus but reading all the threads on this site it seems that the cost of living is much higher. Am I doing the right thing in considering emigrating? I want a higher standard of living,not lower.
The answer is 'it depends...'

Salaries in UK are higher than Oz. However,...

Food etc are comparable in price to UK (assuming you stick to the same things) - swings and roundabouts.

Eating out in Oz is cheaper than UK.

Petrol is definitely cheaper than UK (just over a third of the cost).

Some things are free in Oz, but not in UK - eg good beaches (if you live near the coast!), hot weather, more outdoor lifestyle.

Travel outside capital cities in Oz is expensive. That's the price of large distances and a small population.

The two biggest items that will affect you will be your home and job (assuming you need to work).

Like anywhere, house prices in Oz depend on demand. Eg a 3 bdr house in Brisbane might cost you $A500k, but in Sydney $A750k. But in Sydney, there are more jobs, higher average pay, more entertainment, restaurants etc.

Places like Perth are even cheaper. But, again, job opportunities are more limited. And Perth is very isolated - which may be an issue for you.

Overall, I wouldn't say Oz cost of living is much higher than UK. But your disposable income is likely to be lower in Oz. Few people go to Oz to make money - it's about 'lifestyle'.

However, house prices have increased significantly in Oz over the past 2/3 years. So, like UK, mortgage payments could be a very significant chunk of your income.
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Mike , that's helpful. At the moment I am veering more towards the lifestyle choice. I see you are back in the U.K. now . Was Australia not for you?
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 8:45 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Kath,
The impression I get is that OZ cost of living is lower than UK but wages in OZ are generally lower so in reality the thing tends to equate.

The catch 22 is knowing where the balance lies.
ie OZ lower cost of living is equal to how much lower wages.
Individuals standards of living vary so much that I do not think you will ever be able to work this out accurately. You have to assess as best you can and hope you got it reasonably correct.

I think the majority on the forum will have lump sums of varying degrees to take with them and that pot should go further than it would in the UK.

In my case I will be taking a cut in wages but from UK house sale will be able to buy outright without a mortgage in OZ so the nett affect should be a positive one.

Let's see what some of the people who have made the move say.
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

That's a good point. We would not be able to buy anywhere outright. We would have about £30,000 as a deposit for a house. I'm a nurse (part time) and husband is a plumber/gas fitter. I am looking for quality family time rather than the affluent lifestyle. I want my kids to be healthy and have a good education. I'm still in the early stages of applying for residency. What do people think?
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 9:34 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

That's a good point. We would not be able to buy anywhere outright. We would have about £30,000 as a deposit for a house. I'm a nurse (part time) and husband is a plumber/gas fitter. I am looking for quality family time rather than the affluent lifestyle. I want my kids to be healthy and have a good education. I'm still in the early stages of applying for residency. What do people think?
Same shit different bucket.

Both the UK and Oz have similiar childhood obesity rates and the education (as in the UK) comes down to the school. Other plumbers/fitter will have to fill you in on the working conditions/

Do it as an adventure or to give it a go as most differences between the 2 countries are trivial. What makes it for people is getting over homesickness and making Australia home. Only you can find that out.

It is a risk but nothing ventured nothing gained.
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 9:41 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Also, the petrol IS cheaper, but we do more private milage here, (used to have company car in UK, fully expensed too!!) so it works out roughly the same.

It is same shit different bucket, but i feel the buckets a nicer one all round!!!
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 11:19 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by MikeStanton
The answer is 'it depends...'

Like anywhere, house prices in Oz depend on demand. Eg a 3 bdr house in Brisbane might cost you $A500k, but in Sydney $A750k. But in Sydney, there are more jobs, higher average pay, more entertainment, restaurants etc.
That Brisbane price will be Central Brisbane.

My area, on the bayside, but an hour away from the CBD, would cost:
3 bed - $290k
4 bed - $330k
5 bed two story best house in street - $ 500k

Sydney, an hour going west you would be looking at a 3 bed for about $340k

Brisbane going west about an hour from about $ 120k

As Mike says, "it depends"

Old Mar 23rd 2004, 11:26 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Quick rule of thumb - convert your net UK income directly into Oz dollars, take about 75%-80% of that number for required Oz net income for similar standard of living. Have a go on the ATO website at working out what gross annual income you need to achieve that number.
Old Mar 24th 2004, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

I would say that living in Oz is not any cheaper than living in Uk but it all depends on what you earn and what you earnt before obviously. But it is a different ball game, we earn much much less than we did in Uk but feel better off because we get the chance to do such a lot of things that don't cost much, even if it's just picnics in the park, days at the beach and BBQs with friends. It all depends what you are looking for. This is going to sound corny but I suppose we feel better off because our lives are richer. God - did I really just say that!!!

Old Mar 24th 2004, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by hevs
Also, the petrol IS cheaper, but we do more private milage here, (used to have company car in UK, fully expensed too!!) so it works out roughly the same.

It is same shit different bucket, but i feel the buckets a nicer one all round!!!
People seem to overlook the petrol thing, its almost $1.00 litre now so its gone up quite a bit, but its distance you need to consider. My husband does 1000 klms a week just getting around for the business.

You drive for everything too, most would have to drive to get the milk. (Cue someone whos says they dont ) Plus once the kids get to teens they need cars too, we run 3 cars that is not unusual we know people with teens who run 4. Public transport outside of the citys is pretty non existant.

Cost of living is not cheap here. Yes it did used to be, I can remember going back to UK and wowing at how expensive it was there, that is not the case now. I cant believe some people say we're arriving with say 100,000 quid, so we will retire/work part time or whatever, they are way out of date

We spend $743 a week on groceries/ bills/ petrol/health cover etc with no mortage but that does include rates.

Housing in WA, QLD and SA is still way cheaper than the UK tho.
Old Mar 24th 2004, 12:15 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by dotty
People seem to overlook the petrol thing, its almost $1.00 litre now so its gone up quite a bit, but its distance you need to consider. My husband does 1000 klms a week just getting around for the business.

You drive for everything too, most would have to drive to get the milk. (Cue someone whos says they dont ) Plus once the kids get to teens they need cars too, we run 3 cars that is not unusual we know people with teens who run 4. Public transport outside of the citys is pretty non existant.

Cost of living is not cheap here. Yes it did used to be, I can remember going back to UK and wowing at how expensive it was there, that is not the case now. I cant believe some people say we're arriving with say 100,000 quid, so we will retire/work part time or whatever, they are way out of date

We spend $743 a week on groceries/ bills/ petrol/health cover etc with no mortage but that does include rates.

Housing in WA, QLD and SA is still way cheaper than the UK tho.
I walked to the shop once to get some milk !! Took me 5 minutes.
I should do it daily, just for the exercise, but I don't

Petrol is fluctuating betwen 78c and 95c at the moment, its 85c today.

Old Mar 24th 2004, 12:18 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I think I walked to the shop once to get some milk too. Would take five minutes there and five minutes back, though laziness requires me to drive. If it wasn't for that shop it would take me at least 40mins round trip to go to the next closest (or after 7pm when the shop shuts)
Old Mar 24th 2004, 12:22 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
Petrol is fluctuating betwen 78c and 95c at the moment, its 85c today.
Who gives a damn about petrol prices ?

I have alternative means
Attached Thumbnails cost of living-mebike.jpg  
Old Mar 24th 2004, 12:23 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by jayr
I think I walked to the shop once to get some milk too. Would take five minutes there and five minutes back, though laziness requires me to drive. If it wasn't for that shop it would take me at least 40mins round trip to go to the next closest (or after 7pm when the shop shuts)
I think I am a bit better of than you.
A three minute drive would get me to the main shopping centre (closes at 8 or 9pm I think), and they are building a library and cinema complex there now aswell.
And 3 minutes the other way gets me to the beach

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.