Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Am I to fat to go to Oz!

Am I to fat to go to Oz!

Old Apr 8th 2005, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

haggisUK will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Am I to fat to go to Oz!

I can't remember what my BMI was but it was over average but not quite obese I don't think and I still passed, so keep the diet up... you never know!
Old Apr 26th 2005, 11:43 am
Baba jo

the Brady gang has a brilliant futurethe Brady gang has a brilliant futurethe Brady gang has a brilliant futurethe Brady gang has a brilliant futurethe Brady gang has a brilliant futurethe Brady gang has a brilliant futurethe Brady gang has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Rabc
Blimey!! I started my new excercise regime/diet before Christmas thinking my meds would be requested in around July. Nice sustainable weight loss I thought, mainly got it underway for health reasons . Started out pretty big (I mean BIG - 150Kg!) Meds arrived in mid February so the diet when up 76 gears. I have managed to lose nealy 2½ stone to date but my BMI is still just under 42. I resigned myslf to the fact that I would fail the meds (because of the +40 BMI) despite being otherwise in perfectly good health. Reading your post has given me hope again as this seems not to be the case. Fingers crossed for Thursday

HI Rab C I know this is a wee while ago now but how did you get on, I am due my medicals in a few months and I am over weight and upon reading these messages am starting to panic now. I have asthma and high blood pressure although both are regulated and never been a problem. I have been told by my agent and cousins who have received visa's that it wont be a problem... Help stop the panic...
Old Apr 26th 2005, 12:32 pm
Baba jo

the Brady gang has a brilliant futurethe Brady gang has a brilliant futurethe Brady gang has a brilliant futurethe Brady gang has a brilliant futurethe Brady gang has a brilliant futurethe Brady gang has a brilliant futurethe Brady gang has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Rabc
Blimey!! I started my new excercise regime/diet before Christmas thinking my meds would be requested in around July. Nice sustainable weight loss I thought, mainly got it underway for health reasons . Started out pretty big (I mean BIG - 150Kg!) Meds arrived in mid February so the diet when up 76 gears. I have managed to lose nealy 2½ stone to date but my BMI is still just under 42. I resigned myslf to the fact that I would fail the meds (because of the +40 BMI) despite being otherwise in perfectly good health. Reading your post has given me hope again as this seems not to be the case. Fingers crossed for Thursday

HI Rab C I know this is a wee while ago now but how did you get on, I am due my medicals in a few months and I am over weight and upon reading these messages am starting to panic now. I have asthma and high blood pressure although both are regulated and never been a problem. I have been told by my agent and cousins who have received visa's that it wont be a problem... Help stop the panic...
Old Apr 26th 2005, 12:36 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the Brady gang
Panicking won't help the old blood pressure thing ...
Old Apr 26th 2005, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

Laurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really nice

What is your BMI?
Old Apr 26th 2005, 1:15 pm
Baba jo

Originally Posted by Ben wanting brisbane life
Panicking won't help the old blood pressure thing ...
I know, I know actually I was told I had high blood pressure a few years back but I have never had a high reading since.
I know my Doctor can confirm these but it's the old bingo wings and Bridget Jones knicker syndrome thats the problem.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 1:17 pm
Baba jo

Originally Posted by Laurie1st
What is your BMI?
Hi BMI is 41 according to the calculator.
Old Apr 27th 2005, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

Laurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really nice

Hi BMI is 41 according to the calculator.
I think the highest I have seen was 43, and that guy got his visa. Just do the best yuo can to lose some weight before the medicals, and try not to panic.
Old Apr 27th 2005, 3:47 pm
Baba jo

Originally Posted by Laurie1st
I think the highest I have seen was 43, and that guy got his visa. Just do the best yuo can to lose some weight before the medicals, and try not to panic.
Not panicking now my agent spoke to me and reassured me she has had many sizes pass the medical so not to worry, I will stay on the healthy eating plan and take it from there. Also one of my cousins was much bigger and she had no problems at all, I swim ,walk and Ive even played womens football so never been held back. I shall keep taking my chill pills ha ha.
Old May 4th 2005, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of light

Not panicking now my agent spoke to me and reassured me she has had many sizes pass the medical so not to worry, I will stay on the healthy eating plan and take it from there. Also one of my cousins was much bigger and she had no problems at all, I swim ,walk and Ive even played womens football so never been held back. I shall keep taking my chill pills ha ha.

Worry not! It's really not worth it! In the end the process takes a long time and you get tired of worrying anyway. DIMIA (in there own words) state that being a bit on the large side will not preclude you from passing the medical requirement but they might look for any connected or emerging conditions. I am big (a bit smaller now at BMI 38.2 and dropping) but when I went for the meds it was measured at 40.6. Get yourself sorted. A blood pressure monitor, a blood sugar and Cholesterol kit (cheap in the chemists). Test yourself and if you need to take corrective action do it now. Forget silly and expensive diets. Excercise sensibly for ½ hr per day (avoid impact like running) brisk walks that sort of thing and in a nut shell burn more energy than you take in. It works I promise you. It may not turn you into an athelete but it will equip you with a responsible ongoing plan to get in shape and more importantly (right now) the confidence to go to the meds knowing your as health as you can be at that point in time and details of any problems won't be suprise.

Oh yeh, you will walk out of the meds thinking "what on earth was I worried about that for!!

Good luck and don't worry - your Visa is a great motivator!

Rob