British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Am I to fat to go to Oz! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/am-i-fat-go-oz-289015/)

Dazlin Mar 9th 2005 6:03 pm

Am I to fat to go to Oz!

Hi all

Me and my partner are in the process of immigrating to Oz and in about six months it will be time for our medicals.

I am now starting to worry that after I have my medical they will tell me I am to over weight.

Does anyone know what they class as "to heavy"?

Thanks
Julie

Siren & Brian Mar 9th 2005 6:08 pm

Re: Am I to fat to go to Oz!

Originally Posted by Dazlin
Hi all

Me and my partner are in the process of immigrating to Oz and in about six months it will be time for our medicals.

I am now starting to worry that after I have my medical they will tell me I am to over weight.

Thanks
Julie

Well if your too fat start losing some weight for your own health. No point in having a visa and dead from all the problems being over weight can cause.

And no i dont know how fat you can be but from what i have heard on this forum its quite fat.

Perthforme Mar 9th 2005 6:12 pm

Hi all

Thanks
Julie

I think if your body fat index is over 30 then it starts to be a prob,
Check out dieters for oz on here been a popular one ;)

ad4ozz Mar 9th 2005 6:35 pm

Weight needs to be less than BMI of 40 for easy pass once over 40 they class you at major risk of health problems.

http://www.weightconcern.com/

This site will calculate your BMI for you ...go to risk of obesity on tabs... then... am i overweight then... calculate adult BMI.

Good luck don't get to scared... :scared: .

Also if overweight need to watch your BP as BP of more than 140/90 and they want cardiologist report.

Fletchismint Mar 9th 2005 6:41 pm

The BMI is only a guide though. I'm a 5'11'' guy and I way 89 kgs with only a few pounds of it fat and the site said I was fat. Muscle should be taken into account.

Amazulu Mar 9th 2005 6:47 pm

Hi all

Thanks
Julie

I think you would need to be very overweight to affect the outcome. If your weight was causing other health problems, then that could be a problem. If you think about it, if being overweight was a problem in Oz, then they would have to deport half their people. Australia is a seriously lard arse nation.

wombat42 Mar 9th 2005 7:02 pm

We already have enough fat lard arse Aussies so we don't need fat lard arse Poms, lose weight or immigrate to America, land of the lard. ;)

Neil S Mar 9th 2005 7:10 pm

Not many fat lard arse Aussies in this neck of the woods. Worst place I've been to by far for fat people, is Florida. Besides, if the obese person hasn't got any obese related health problems, i.e diabetes, high blood pressure, stress, back problems, then why not let em in to Australia?

DollyDaydream Mar 9th 2005 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by wombat42
We already have enough fat lard arse Aussies so we don't need fat lard arse Poms, lose weight or immigrate to America, land of the lard. ;)

http://www.*************.com/smilies...e/tongue10.gif

Grayling Mar 9th 2005 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Siren
Well if your too fat start losing some weight for your own health. No point in having a visa and dead from all the problems being over weight can cause.

And no i dont know how fat you can be but from what i have heard on this forum its quite fat.

I agree with Siren here.

I am amazed at the number of times this subject crops up.

It sometimes seems that most wannabe migrants to Australia are overweight :eek:
This could be the subject of a PHD for someone ;)

If you are grossly overweight then I think you should be far more worried about the consequences for your health rather than whether or not it will affect your chances of passing the medical :rolleyes:

Given the consequences for the Australian healthcare system I am not surprised they take it seriously.

Waiting for the flak.

G

Dazlin Mar 9th 2005 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Grayling
I agree with Siren here.

I am amazed at the number of times this subject crops up.

It sometimes seems that most wannabe migrants to Australia are overweight :eek:
This could be the subject of a PHD for someone ;)

If you are grossly overweight then I think you should be far more worried about the consequences for your health rather than whether or not it will affect your chances of passing the medical :rolleyes:

Given the consequences for the Australian healthcare system I am not surprised they take it seriously.

Waiting for the flak.

G

I think I should have probably put in my original message that I am only slightly over weight, and that's only because I like my wine to much :beer: .

I have just been starting to worry that something will go wrong with our application and wanted to put my mind at rest.

Thanks for your reply anyway.

Julie :p

lacey21 Mar 9th 2005 8:21 pm

Well Julie we are doing the Dieters for Oz and the only reason we are doing this is for health reasons of course and in order to pass the medical. I have lost 44 and a half pounds so far. I have about another 5 stone to lose. And if you lived in Manchester you would soon understand why I was fat!
Good luck
Lace :)

Dazlin Mar 9th 2005 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by lacey21
Well Julie we are doing the Dieters for Oz and the only reason we are doing this is for health reasons of course and in order to pass the medical. I have lost 44 and a half pounds so far. I have about another 5 stone to lose. And if you lived in Manchester you would soon understand why I was fat!
Good luck
Lace :)

Hi Lace

Can I ask what type of diet your on?

Julie :)

P.S. I hope you don't think I'm being rude :o

CORKER Mar 9th 2005 8:48 pm

Hi Lace

Can I ask what type of diet your on?

Julie :)

P.S. I hope you don't think I'm being rude :o

It's not a diet.....the've just had thier arse amputated...
CORKER

Grayling Mar 9th 2005 8:51 pm

I think I should have probably put in my original message that I am only slightly over weight, and that's only because I like my wine to much :beer: .

I have just been starting to worry that something will go wrong with our application and wanted to put my mind at rest.

Thanks for your reply anyway.

Julie :p

Julie

My post was a general point and not just directed at you.

This crops up regularly though and most posters seem more worried about passing the medical than being overweight :rolleyes:

Overweight is actually a serious medical issue, like Alcohol abuse or smoking.

Your health is far more important to you and your family than whether you get a visa or not.

Hopefully the migration process will act as a spur to you (and lots of others) to do something about it. :)

If you are only a bit overweight then the medical will be a breeze. This does not mean you should not address it though.

Good luck

G