Living in Zimbabwe

Old May 5th 2008, 2:27 am
Banned

Diddy Dianne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living in Zimbabwe

I wouldn't go back there to live, far too dangerous and inflation would make it difficult to be able to afford to leave again
Old May 5th 2008, 3:29 am
BE Enthusiast

shiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to behold

not if the boyfriend was a member of the ruling party, or related to top brass in government or the army- getting the money out would be easy.....

Originally Posted by Diddy Dianne
I wouldn't go back there to live, far too dangerous and inflation would make it difficult to be able to afford to leave again
Old May 6th 2008, 7:37 am
Just Joined

Arikara is just really niceArikara is just really niceArikara is just really niceArikara is just really niceArikara is just really niceArikara is just really niceArikara is just really niceArikara is just really nice

Originally Posted by Leigh of the Valley
I think you should give it a try but you really need to know what its like .. Zimbabwe is a wonderful place to live and has a lot to offer. However, at present as you probably know, the economy is at a standstill and life is quite hard. If you have money things are not too bad but you still have to live in a country where you sometimes cannot buy basics (even if you are swimming in money!) because they are not available. Most people now rely on South Africa/Botswana to buy their basics.
Also the healthcare system is not like the NHS. There is a shortage of drugs, health personnel and basic supplies in the local hospitals. I guess you could get your treatment private but still, if for example, God forbid, you have a road accident, the chances of dying are increased because the emergency service is just non existent.
After all is said and done, I know a lot of people who are managing to make a life there in Zimbabwe and the secret to success seems to be;
Owning a successful business/es,
Travelling to either South Africa/Botswana to buy food although I hear its also widely available on the black market.
Keeping your money in a foreign currency whether its pounds or US dollars.
Wheeling and dealing on the black market!
Lastly Zimbabwean society is quite traditional in its outlook to an extent. If your boyfriend is a good person he will make sure that you are well looked after regardless. As a british woman, I do not think there will be too many expectations as you are from a different culture. I find most black Zimbabweans are really respectful and quite welcoming of other cultures and colours. They all also tend to be community oriented rather than individualistic(like most western cultures) so you will find that families help each other more and that family is very important to the average Zimbabwean person.

As for women having no rights,that is too broad a generalization as women do have lots of rights under the law of the land though not as much in the UK. Women's rights have been a big issue in Zimbabwe and in the 90s there was affirmative action on many levels to equal the inequalities between the sexes.
There is No law that says children belong to the father. Both mother and father have equal rights on custody and quite often mothers are awarded custody of their children in most cases. This whole concept of children belonging to the father" is usually directed at vulnerable stay-at-home mothers" usually uneducated, who do not have the means to seek legal help and who are completely dependent on the husband.
I think in your case, the secret is to learn as much as you can about your boyfriend's culture as forewarned in forearmed. I am not saying this in a bad way but it will give you an idea about how the culture works.
Zimbabwe is a nice place to live but be prepared for the culture shock as it won't be similar to the UK or Spain. I certainly know a few interracial couples some similar to your situation who live in Zimbabwe comfortably without any hassle.
My advice is to give it a go (you won't know until you try) but do make sure you leave the door open in the UK just in case.
All the best to you.

Thanks very much for the advice, there is definatley an awful lot for me to consider, and it is not something i am just going to jump into, which is why i'm trying to get as much information as possible, advice like yours is gratefully received!
Old May 6th 2008, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute

I was last in Zim in early April and things change fast there, but the situation has definitely worsened for all, white and black. There are food shortages even for those with a steady supply of foreign currency. The political situation as you must know is very unstable and whilst the violence is mainly directed at people suspected of being opposition supporters, the mood is one of grim survival right now. Many of the people I am in touch with are fearful of what the next 12 months will bring and I suspect that they would counsel that you wait a year before making such an important move.

On the plus side: you will be pleasantly surprised at how nice most people are (i.e. outside of Zanu-PF officialdom) and what a beautiful country it is. The minus side - you will have to resort to criminal activity to survive (if only black market trading of currency and goods). If caught you will face worse sanctions than your OH, could be deported and lose everything.

If you go as a visitor, and live in one of the bigger cities, like Harare or Bulawayo, you will probably have a blast for a few months... but if the deal is to marry and live there permanently you face a difficult road ahead. It is just about survivable, IF one or both of you is/are paid in foreign currency (dollars, rand or pounds) and only change what you need in Zim dollars on a daily basis.

IMHO it takes a particular type of person to survive, never mind be happy, when all mod cons are absent. How would you cope with a lack of running water, constant power cuts, having to get by on whatever you can grow, beg, steal or borrow when there is no food in the shops? I speak from experience - I lived like this for three years in wartime Angola in the early 90s.
We adults coped, just... though the scars of the struggle doomed my marriage. Did we have the right to inflict that kind of life on our child or future children? We attended one too many funerals of children under 5 (malaria, measles, cholera etc.) and my ex decided enough was enough.
Old May 6th 2008, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Newshoney, Here's a hug if I may.
Can empathise big time.
Old May 6th 2008, 10:01 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

your OH mght get a car, house and school fees with his job but you have to live there .... just imagine your children having to go to school with bodyguards - thats the reality.

you simply coudnt pay me enough to live in that country as it is right now or for the forseeable future.

I totally understand your husbands love of his home but you HAVE to compromise on this one - please rethink and do not go.

I've had opportunities to relocate to my family's homeland with excellent pay for OH, house, car etc .... but we'd be living as prisoners in a gilded cage.

Money and the trappings are just not what its all about. not when you live in a warzone like Zim.
Old May 7th 2008, 7:17 am
Just Joined

Arikara is just really niceArikara is just really niceArikara is just really niceArikara is just really niceArikara is just really niceArikara is just really niceArikara is just really niceArikara is just really nice

Originally Posted by newshoney
I was last in Zim in early April and things change fast there, but the situation has definitely worsened for all, white and black. There are food shortages even for those with a steady supply of foreign currency. The political situation as you must know is very unstable and whilst the violence is mainly directed at people suspected of being opposition supporters, the mood is one of grim survival right now. Many of the people I am in touch with are fearful of what the next 12 months will bring and I suspect that they would counsel that you wait a year before making such an important move.

On the plus side: you will be pleasantly surprised at how nice most people are (i.e. outside of Zanu-PF officialdom) and what a beautiful country it is. The minus side - you will have to resort to criminal activity to survive (if only black market trading of currency and goods). If caught you will face worse sanctions than your OH, could be deported and lose everything.

If you go as a visitor, and live in one of the bigger cities, like Harare or Bulawayo, you will probably have a blast for a few months... but if the deal is to marry and live there permanently you face a difficult road ahead. It is just about survivable, IF one or both of you is/are paid in foreign currency (dollars, rand or pounds) and only change what you need in Zim dollars on a daily basis.

IMHO it takes a particular type of person to survive, never mind be happy, when all mod cons are absent. How would you cope with a lack of running water, constant power cuts, having to get by on whatever you can grow, beg, steal or borrow when there is no food in the shops? I speak from experience - I lived like this for three years in wartime Angola in the early 90s.
We adults coped, just... though the scars of the struggle doomed my marriage. Did we have the right to inflict that kind of life on our child or future children? We attended one too many funerals of children under 5 (malaria, measles, cholera etc.) and my ex decided enough was enough.

Thanks very much for the advice, it is much apprieciated!
Old May 7th 2008, 7:18 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by islandmom
your OH mght get a car, house and school fees with his job but you have to live there .... just imagine your children having to go to school with bodyguards - thats the reality.

you simply coudnt pay me enough to live in that country as it is right now or for the forseeable future.

I totally understand your husbands love of his home but you HAVE to compromise on this one - please rethink and do not go.

I've had opportunities to relocate to my family's homeland with excellent pay for OH, house, car etc .... but we'd be living as prisoners in a gilded cage.

Money and the trappings are just not what its all about. not when you live in a warzone like Zim.

Likewise, thanks for the advice, I'm definatley considering the pursuasion technique with my OH to stay in this country!
Old May 7th 2008, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

shiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to behold

getting fresh are we

Originally Posted by Daxk
Can empathise big time.
Old May 7th 2008, 5:35 pm
Account Closed

CarolineW is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally I would wait till the present regime is deposed and you have someone sensible managing the country.
Old May 8th 2008, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daxk
Can empathise big time.
Originally Posted by shiftdelete
getting fresh are we
S'ok, I'm a shameless tart and accept hugs from anyone and everyone (...ish) and give out hugs pretty freely too. (Now my cover is well and truly blown, a touchy-feely hack... if the shade of Campbells is watching he'll have me down as Guardianista, which would be SOOOO wrong).
Old May 8th 2008, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

Hell,yes,I'm getting fresh!
at my age,any chance to squeeze someone female is welcome.
Unfortunately,thats as far as it goes,I've usually forgotten why I was hugging someone about half way through.
Old May 8th 2008, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

Rick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
You have to ask yourself before you even start on the lifestyle problems ........ would you be able to live comfortably with the politics? Did you see the sky reports on life there under Mugabe? ......... empty supermarkets ........ problems getting fuel for cars....... 1000% inflation ....... massive unemployment .....
I think it's a shame that you have posted this. A real shame. I understand a Moderator can have an opinion. I was under the impression that you would give a more levelled opinion based on fact rather than rubbish.

Originally Posted by Arikara
Hi, my boyfriend is zimbabwean, i'm white british, he wants to move back to zimbabwe but obviously as and English girl i'm slightly terrified! i've heard lots of horror stories about the way women are treated and that men have rights to the children not the mothers etc. can anyone tell me what its actually like to live in africa for a british woman?

any advice is welcome!

thanks in advance!

Yes he is black zimbabwean, he is the one that's told me the stories so i suppose its pretty factual, he wants to go back because he loves africa and he wants to be close to his father, if things between us remain as they are then yes i would want to have children with him, because he will be the man i love, but no i dont like the idea of having no rights to them, if i registerd them as british though wouldnt i have a british right to them? i dont want to live in england for ever, i have already lived in spain and enjoyed the different culture there, a different culture doesnt bother me too much, i just want to be informed. and yes i've discussed all of this with him, but i want more than one opinion.
Hey, thought it would be easier to reply to both your posts as one as you ask different questions in each.

Background so you know who is answering you: I am white British born who now lives in Harare with my white Zimbabwean girlfriend. Have a business in Harare.

First of all it depends where you live. I am guessing that if this is a company re-location then you will be in Harare? I would suggest first of all you go on a visit there for a couple of weeks. Harare is a nice relaxed city, but it also isn't for everyone. Don't expect much in the way of 24 hour conveniences (although there are a few Petrol stations that are that also have food courts etc) There are power and water shortages so when looking for a house do not accept anything that doesn't have a borehole and a generator. Whatever anyone tells you. Once you have them though, the standard of living is very high.

Food, fuel, commodities - There are many media pieces about scarcity of fuel in the British media. Don't believe them at all. Fuel is available 24/7 and is roughly half the price in the UK. It costs about 62p a litre for both Diesel and Petrol right now. It is purchased by buying vouchers and exchanging those at fuel stations. Reason being is the inflation. Annoying, but you get used to it. You pay for the fuel in either Sterling, US$ or the equivalent in Zim$ which obviously changes more or less every 3 or 4 days at the moment ($190MZIM to $1US right now). Food - anything is available, but at a price. With your situation you will not have to worry about it. You'll be able to afford to go to Borrowdale Brook, Sam Levy Village etc etc and have no problem getting anything you need. It is a problem for lower wage earners. A bigger problem in the rural area's.

Treatment of Women - I am not sure what you mean here, honestly am not. Zimbabweans as a whole are very very respectful to women and it is very rare you would have a problem. Obviously the usual warnings about walking around city centre late at night etc etc apply. My girlfriend has only had a problem when getting quotes for work to be done, they tend to not believe she was responsible for paying them - apart from that no problems. Depending on your age there is a large white population and you can easily find out more if it is a worry.

Children - whatever our esteemed friend Pablo might say, there is international law over children. It is governed by the Hague and Zimbabwe is a signatory. You can easily check what their record is like. You will find it is just as good as the UK and the US. One thing to remember is that there is no duel citizenship with Zimbabwe, so make sure they have British passports which is much more sensible for travelling back to the UK on holiday anyway.

It really doesn't matter what so ever who his father voted for. What does matter is that you know in advance where you will be living and know you will have access to a car so you know you have freedom. Public transport is not great!! Having a car is essential.

Things are hard because of the economy there, but it isn't as bad as many make out. If you are paid in forex you can have a very good standard of living. My advice is to go out to Harare for yourself for a couple of weeks to see for yourself before you commit. I will say that I know quite a few Zimbabweans who are starting to come back, the sense of hope has really returned and quite simply Zimbabwe does still work.

If when you get there you want a drink with some people who live in the city, feel free to send me a PM. I live in Glen Lorne which is in the north of the city. I get back there May 28th.

Good Luck.

Originally Posted by Leigh of the Valley
I think you should give it a try but you really need to know what its like .. Zimbabwe is a wonderful place to live and has a lot to offer. However, at present as you probably know, the economy is at a standstill and life is quite hard. If you have money things are not too bad but you still have to live in a country where you sometimes cannot buy basics (even if you are swimming in money!) because they are not available. Most people now rely on South Africa/Botswana to buy their basics.
Also the healthcare system is not like the NHS. There is a shortage of drugs, health personnel and basic supplies in the local hospitals. I guess you could get your treatment private but still, if for example, God forbid, you have a road accident, the chances of dying are increased because the emergency service is just non existent.
After all is said and done, I know a lot of people who are managing to make a life there in Zimbabwe and the secret to success seems to be;
Owning a successful business/es,
Travelling to either South Africa/Botswana to buy food although I hear its also widely available on the black market.
Keeping your money in a foreign currency whether its pounds or US dollars.
Wheeling and dealing on the black market!
Lastly Zimbabwean society is quite traditional in its outlook to an extent. If your boyfriend is a good person he will make sure that you are well looked after regardless. As a british woman, I do not think there will be too many expectations as you are from a different culture. I find most black Zimbabweans are really respectful and quite welcoming of other cultures and colours. They all also tend to be community oriented rather than individualistic(like most western cultures) so you will find that families help each other more and that family is very important to the average Zimbabwean person.

As for women having no rights,that is too broad a generalization as women do have lots of rights under the law of the land though not as much in the UK. Women's rights have been a big issue in Zimbabwe and in the 90s there was affirmative action on many levels to equal the inequalities between the sexes.
There is No law that says children belong to the father. Both mother and father have equal rights on custody and quite often mothers are awarded custody of their children in most cases. This whole concept of children belonging to the father" is usually directed at vulnerable stay-at-home mothers" usually uneducated, who do not have the means to seek legal help and who are completely dependent on the husband.
I think in your case, the secret is to learn as much as you can about your boyfriend's culture as forewarned in forearmed. I am not saying this in a bad way but it will give you an idea about how the culture works.
Zimbabwe is a nice place to live but be prepared for the culture shock as it won't be similar to the UK or Spain. I certainly know a few interracial couples some similar to your situation who live in Zimbabwe comfortably without any hassle.
My advice is to give it a go (you won't know until you try) but do make sure you leave the door open in the UK just in case.
All the best to you.
Very good advise and the last sentence is correct, don't give up your ability to leave if you want to. It is very different, but as long as you keep your British passport you will be fine.
Old May 8th 2008, 2:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rick b
I think it's a shame that you have posted this. A real shame. I understand a Moderator can have an opinion. I was under the impression that you would give a more levelled opinion based on fact rather than rubbish.

Hey, thought it would be easier to reply to both your posts as one as you ask different questions in each.

Background so you know who is answering you: I am white British born who now lives in Harare with my white Zimbabwean girlfriend. Have a business in Harare.

First of all it depends where you live. I am guessing that if this is a company re-location then you will be in Harare? I would suggest first of all you go on a visit there for a couple of weeks. Harare is a nice relaxed city, but it also isn't for everyone. Don't expect much in the way of 24 hour conveniences (although there are a few Petrol stations that are that also have food courts etc) There are power and water shortages so when looking for a house do not accept anything that doesn't have a borehole and a generator. Whatever anyone tells you. Once you have them though, the standard of living is very high.

Food, fuel, commodities - There are many media pieces about scarcity of fuel in the British media. Don't believe them at all. Fuel is available 24/7 and is roughly half the price in the UK. It costs about 62p a litre for both Diesel and Petrol right now. It is purchased by buying vouchers and exchanging those at fuel stations. Reason being is the inflation. Annoying, but you get used to it. You pay for the fuel in either Sterling, US$ or the equivalent in Zim$ which obviously changes more or less every 3 or 4 days at the moment ($190MZIM to $1US right now). Food - anything is available, but at a price. With your situation you will not have to worry about it. You'll be able to afford to go to Borrowdale Brook, Sam Levy Village etc etc and have no problem getting anything you need. It is a problem for lower wage earners. A bigger problem in the rural area's.

Treatment of Women - I am not sure what you mean here, honestly am not. Zimbabweans as a whole are very very respectful to women and it is very rare you would have a problem. Obviously the usual warnings about walking around city centre late at night etc etc apply. My girlfriend has only had a problem when getting quotes for work to be done, they tend to not believe she was responsible for paying them - apart from that no problems. Depending on your age there is a large white population and you can easily find out more if it is a worry.

Children - whatever our esteemed friend Pablo might say, there is international law over children. It is governed by the Hague and Zimbabwe is a signatory. You can easily check what their record is like. You will find it is just as good as the UK and the US. One thing to remember is that there is no duel citizenship with Zimbabwe, so make sure they have British passports which is much more sensible for travelling back to the UK on holiday anyway.

It really doesn't matter what so ever who his father voted for. What does matter is that you know in advance where you will be living and know you will have access to a car so you know you have freedom. Public transport is not great!! Having a car is essential.

Things are hard because of the economy there, but it isn't as bad as many make out. If you are paid in forex you can have a very good standard of living. My advice is to go out to Harare for yourself for a couple of weeks to see for yourself before you commit. I will say that I know quite a few Zimbabweans who are starting to come back, the sense of hope has really returned and quite simply Zimbabwe does still work.

If when you get there you want a drink with some people who live in the city, feel free to send me a PM. I live in Glen Lorne which is in the north of the city. I get back there May 28th.

Good Luck.

Very good advise and the last sentence is correct, don't give up your ability to leave if you want to. It is very different, but as long as you keep your British passport you will be fine.
Hi, thanks very much, it is nice to hear from someone actually living there i think it will either be Harare or Bulawayo, which i think is quite built up, but not 100% sure! i will definatley take your advice on board, and it has been very helpful in answering a lot of my questions! thanks!
Old May 8th 2008, 3:38 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newshoney
S'ok, I'm a shameless tart and accept hugs from anyone and everyone (...ish) and give out hugs pretty freely too. (Now my cover is well and truly blown, a touchy-feely hack... if the shade of Campbells is watching he'll have me down as Guardianista, which would be SOOOO wrong).
I'm watching and oh man, what a wicked wench you are.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.