Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession
Reload this Page >

Want to work in the USA - HELP!

Want to work in the USA - HELP!

Old Feb 17th 2007, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

nick1984 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Want to work in the USA - HELP!

Hi there,

Just found this forum browsing on the internet, hopefully someone can help me out!

Basically, I'm a 22-year-old sports journalist wanting to work in the US - location wise I have no idea, but want to live the experience of the bigger cities if possible.

I have no idea where to start at the moment, and am desperate for some guidance.

I have a degree in English and Journalism and have also completed my newspaper journalism prelim exams, and currently work on the local paper.

I literally have no idea where to start. I've browsed the web endlessly, and all I've come up with so far is that I require a HB1 visa, which I could have 'sponsored' by a company should I find one willing to take me on.

The thing I'm having a problem with is actually searching for jobs. The site I found costs a fortune to sign up and it will search for you.

Is there a job search as such, can we just search for jobs in the US as any US citizen would - or do we have to go through a special programme?

As you can probably tell, I'm really confused at the moment so any info would be fantastic.

Thanks,

Nick
Old Mar 5th 2007, 2:34 am
highwayman59

Highwayman59 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Want to work in the USA - HELP!

Slighty different case to yourself I was employed as a Civil Engineer by the State of California with H1b visa for which they sponsored me. You are no doubt aware that an H1b is only valid for three years, it does however have the option to be renewed for another three year period after which you should not work in the US for a period of one year.
I did all my job hunting on the Internet, suggest that you get onto the individual newspaper websites and contact them that way?
Hope that helps in some small way....

Last edited by Highwayman59; Mar 5th 2007 at 2:38 am.