TRA Cook

Old Apr 6th 2007, 11:36 am
Just Joined

gatovicolo has a spectacular aura aboutgatovicolo has a spectacular aura aboutgatovicolo has a spectacular aura about
Default TRA Cook

Hi All,

I would like to thank everyone for the advice I've picked up from just reading through all the threads. I've learned loads. Had no idea the TRA could be so tricky.

Still I haven't found an answer for my specific question and was hoping someone would be able to help. I don't have an agent and am considering contacting one or two of the people recommended by you.

My Background:

I have no formal training, but, having worked on and off for seven years (including the last 5) as a cook, I meet the 6-9 years in lieu of formal training.

What I'd like to do in next half year or so while I submit my first TRA:

To boost my prospects of finding good work in Oz and to not waste the next months while waiting for decisions, I would like to do a Commercial Cookery III course or even a Diploma at a Tafe in Western Australia. I am pretty sure with my experience I'll be able to enter a course at this level.

My Dilemma:

If I complete a level III or higher course having used my experience to waive the prerequisites, I would only then have had 6 months formal training instead of the required 2 years although the certificate can only be obtained either through two years of school or by having experience to jump to a certain level.

This won't matter when as I will be submitting a TRA before I start studying BUT in the event I have it sent back as incomplete/invalid, I'd like to use my level III certification along with my experience.

My concerns are three-fold: One, will the Level III count even though I spent only 6 months in formal training? Two, will it be detrimental to my first TRA if I am not employed at the time it is lodged? AND, lastly, if I gain a level III, will experience prior to taking the course be invalidated?

It's a bit of a Catch 22. Or is it?

Should I study? Only 6 months means I'd still have worked 12 of the last 18 months.

Thanks,

Gato