Sunshine Coast TAFE

Old Feb 28th 2007, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

joandken is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sunshine Coast TAFE

Hi all

Is anyone studying at the Sunshine Coast TAFE? All the references on here are for the Gold Coast or Brisbane.

I have signed up at the Sunshine Coast to start in June and just wondering if anyone out there is already there or going out?
Old Mar 7th 2007, 3:54 am
Forum Regular

Corkhead is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sunshine Coast TAFE

Originally Posted by joandken
Hi all

Is anyone studying at the Sunshine Coast TAFE? All the references on here are for the Gold Coast or Brisbane.

I have signed up at the Sunshine Coast to start in June and just wondering if anyone out there is already there or going out?

Hi

I have just completed 2 year hairdressing course at this tafe, I really enjoyed it and am now working as a hairdresser 4 days per week, and am awaiting results of PR application.
Some other students didnt enjoy course but I believe that was because they didnt want to be a hairdresser, it is hard work if you are only doing it to get in the country, as you also have to complete 900hrs work experience, which you have to find yourself, I was lucky and got paid for mine, but most dont!!
hope this helps
Old Mar 8th 2007, 9:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Corkhead
Hi

I have just completed 2 year hairdressing course at this tafe, I really enjoyed it and am now working as a hairdresser 4 days per week, and am awaiting results of PR application.
Some other students didnt enjoy course but I believe that was because they didnt want to be a hairdresser, it is hard work if you are only doing it to get in the country, as you also have to complete 900hrs work experience, which you have to find yourself, I was lucky and got paid for mine, but most dont!!
hope this helps
hi, Thanks for your reply, Congratulations on finishing your course. Did you do the whole 2 years in hairdressing? I will be doing 1 year Hairdressing and 1 year business diploma. I cant wait to get started.

Lucky for me im not affraid of hard work and getting stuck in.

How many days did you study and how many days did you spend at a salon? I also thought the TAFe helped you find a work placement. How hard did you find it to get a job?

Sorry for all the questions but so far you are the only one I can ask.

Do you enjoy the job now you are qualified? Im going to shut up now. Thanks
Jo
Old Mar 8th 2007, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

hi, Thanks for your reply, Congratulations on finishing your course. Did you do the whole 2 years in hairdressing? I will be doing 1 year Hairdressing and 1 year business diploma. I cant wait to get started.

Lucky for me im not affraid of hard work and getting stuck in.

How many days did you study and how many days did you spend at a salon? I also thought the TAFe helped you find a work placement. How hard did you find it to get a job?

Sorry for all the questions but so far you are the only one I can ask.

Do you enjoy the job now you are qualified? Im going to shut up now. Thanks
Jo
Hi Jo

I completed the 2 year hairdressing course, but fast tracked and finished in 19months. I think it would have been hard work being competent in just one year, but the Australians only do 1 year to be qualified.
I did 3 days at tafe 21 hours a week, and then 3 days in the salon, which got to much and I dropped it down to 2 days in the salon. Tafe find you your 240hours work experience, but you have to find the other 900hrs, most people find they have to start by working voluntary at first and if you get on well some bosses pay you, but as I said I was the only one out of 4 of us who got paid.
Teachers at tafe are all pretty nice, and will really help you if they think you really want to be a hairdresser.
I really like hairdressing now and have got some good clientele,but it is bloody hard work on your feet all the time for not a lot of money, and hardly no breaks, I am actually thinking of cutting hairdressing down to 3 days and doing something less physically demanding for 2 days a week! But then I am 32 getting on
Where are you going to be living?

Hope this helps
Kerry
Old Mar 8th 2007, 10:15 am
Just Joined

Hi Jo

I completed the 2 year hairdressing course, but fast tracked and finished in 19months. I think it would have been hard work being competent in just one year, but the Australians only do 1 year to be qualified.
I did 3 days at tafe 21 hours a week, and then 3 days in the salon, which got to much and I dropped it down to 2 days in the salon. Tafe find you your 240hours work experience, but you have to find the other 900hrs, most people find they have to start by working voluntary at first and if you get on well some bosses pay you, but as I said I was the only one out of 4 of us who got paid.
Teachers at tafe are all pretty nice, and will really help you if they think you really want to be a hairdresser.
I really like hairdressing now and have got some good clientele,but it is bloody hard work on your feet all the time for not a lot of money, and hardly no breaks, I am actually thinking of cutting hairdressing down to 3 days and doing something less physically demanding for 2 days a week! But then I am 32 getting on
Where are you going to be living?

Hope this helps
Kerry
Getting on a bit - lol

We will be flying out about 15th June and will probably look for holiday rental for 3 weeks in Mooloolaba or Maroochydore, the attack the real estate for rental when we have had a look at the areas.

I have heard that Mountain Creek is nice and has a good primary school. Its hard until we get there.

Where are you? do you like it? any ideas?

I think its a good idea to take the other 2 days to do something else, variety is always good.
Old Mar 8th 2007, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

Getting on a bit - lol

We will be flying out about 15th June and will probably look for holiday rental for 3 weeks in Mooloolaba or Maroochydore, the attack the real estate for rental when we have had a look at the areas.

I have heard that Mountain Creek is nice and has a good primary school. Its hard until we get there.

Where are you? do you like it? any ideas?

I think its a good idea to take the other 2 days to do something else, variety is always good.
yOU WILL BE FLYING OUT ON MY bIRTHDAY, MUST BE A GOOD SIGN!!
We live in Wurtulla at the moment just outside caloundra it is lovely, but we will be soon moving to Golden Beach which is also nice, a lot of people bypass caloundra area but it has lots of great beaches for kids, surf, kitesurfing and bathing. I hear Talara Primary in currimundi is very good school, but I have no kids yet!!
I woulds steer clear of maroochydore to live though, trouble with street kids at night, so I hear.
Any other questions just ask
Kerry
Old Mar 13th 2007, 8:53 am
Just Joined

yOU WILL BE FLYING OUT ON MY bIRTHDAY, MUST BE A GOOD SIGN!!
We live in Wurtulla at the moment just outside caloundra it is lovely, but we will be soon moving to Golden Beach which is also nice, a lot of people bypass caloundra area but it has lots of great beaches for kids, surf, kitesurfing and bathing. I hear Talara Primary in currimundi is very good school, but I have no kids yet!!
I woulds steer clear of maroochydore to live though, trouble with street kids at night, so I hear.
Any other questions just ask
Kerry
Oh well that must be a good sign.

We did think about Caloundra but thought it might be too far away. How long would it take you to drive to the TAFE from there?

Will stay away from Maroochydore, thanks for the tip. Its so hard as we have only been to Noosa so have no idea of the different areas.

We are hopefully staying in holiday rental when we get there so if you have any advise please share.

Have you given any more thought into getting a different part time job?
Jo
Old Mar 15th 2007, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

Oh well that must be a good sign.

We did think about Caloundra but thought it might be too far away. How long would it take you to drive to the TAFE from there?

Will stay away from Maroochydore, thanks for the tip. Its so hard as we have only been to Noosa so have no idea of the different areas.

We are hopefully staying in holiday rental when we get there so if you have any advise please share.

Have you given any more thought into getting a different part time job?
Jo
Hi Jo
Caloundra is only 15 / 20 mins drive from tafe. A lot of expats seem to live around Buderim area, but personally I like to live near the beach.

Go on this link and it should bring up an accommodation search,

http://www.mysunshinecoast.com.au/to...=17&catID2=129

Not thought about job yet as my Mum comes out on Monday for a month and we are moving next Sat so busy at moment, PM me and Ill give you my email and you can stay in touch if you need any help.
Cheers
kerry
Old Mar 18th 2007, 9:39 am
tedeschicat

tedeschicat is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

hope this helps
HI all.
I will be coming out in June to activate our visa's do you know of any salon looking for Hairdressers?
Arrive in Brisbane on 6th June..
Any advice please give. Thanks
Old Sep 11th 2007, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

Michang is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

My wife is planning to do the 1 or 2 year hairdresser course with TAFE in the Sunshine Coast too. Do you know if it is relatively easy to get the 900 hours of work experience? What I mean is, will local salons in the sunshine coast hire hairdresser students (my wife is 36 years old and speaks English, Malay, Cantonese, Mandarin, Hainanese and Dutch). We are living in The Netherlands and I know here it is difficult to find work for a 36 year old person who still needs to master the trade as there are minimum wage rules which basically makes her expensive, her plus however is her language skills. I noticed that most students do not get paid, if that is the only way to get the 900 hours in, so it be but it would be better to get paid obviously.

Does TAFE start hairdresser courses in each semester or only in February?
Old Sep 13th 2007, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

Hi
There are lots of hair salons in the sunshine coast area, but you will find it hard to get paid for the 900hrs workexperience whist at tafe, i beleive some rule's are changing as regards to student visa, so think you can do work experience after course now, so if your wife is good she should be able to find paid work once quialified. As regards to the intake months it would be best to caontact the tafe http://www.csitinternet.tafe.net/international/
Hope this helps good luck

Originally Posted by Michang
Hi,

My wife is planning to do the 1 or 2 year hairdresser course with TAFE in the Sunshine Coast too. Do you know if it is relatively easy to get the 900 hours of work experience? What I mean is, will local salons in the sunshine coast hire hairdresser students (my wife is 36 years old and speaks English, Malay, Cantonese, Mandarin, Hainanese and Dutch). We are living in The Netherlands and I know here it is difficult to find work for a 36 year old person who still needs to master the trade as there are minimum wage rules which basically makes her expensive, her plus however is her language skills. I noticed that most students do not get paid, if that is the only way to get the 900 hours in, so it be but it would be better to get paid obviously.

Does TAFE start hairdresser courses in each semester or only in February?
Old Sep 13th 2007, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

Michang is an unknown quantity at this point

Corkhead,

I sent you a private message. Could you please have a look at that for me?