Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession
Reload this Page >

Roof Slater and Tiler, job wanted - Perth

Roof Slater and Tiler, job wanted - Perth

Old Jan 27th 2007, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

midgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Roof Slater and Tiler, job wanted - Perth

My husband is a Roof Slater and Tiler with 20 years experience. He has passed the TRA and we are hoping to be in Perth June/July 2007.

He also does guttering, downpipes, cementwork and leadwork.

Could anyone post vacancies or wage expectations to him here? Also does he need a further licence to work in Perth?

Thanks

Jan
Old Feb 15th 2007, 2:17 am
Hoping to move to Perth

lynnexcel will become famous soon enoughlynnexcel will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Roof Slater and Tiler, job wanted - Perth

Hi there

We came over to Mandurah just south of Perth in December 2006 from Edinburgh. My hubbie is a roofer also.

There is no shortage of work here at all - the roofs are all metal and tiled - no slating here.

The way to go is sub-contract though - the usual wages for roofers are $25 per hour - not alot to live on if keeping a family. We thought the wages would be alot better - roofers seem to be one of the worst paid tradesmen here but there is options to earn more ie subcontracting.

Hope this helps

Lynn
Old May 4th 2007, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

maisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lynnexcel
Hi there

We came over to Mandurah just south of Perth in December 2006 from Edinburgh. My hubbie is a roofer also.

There is no shortage of work here at all - the roofs are all metal and tiled - no slating here.

The way to go is sub-contract though - the usual wages for roofers are $25 per hour - not alot to live on if keeping a family. We thought the wages would be alot better - roofers seem to be one of the worst paid tradesmen here but there is options to earn more ie subcontracting.

Hope this helps

Lynn
Hi there
You have just confirmed what I could find out about wages. Hubby is a roofer also and we are heading for Brisbane once we get visa. Luckily I am a nurse but we have 3 kids. So he is going to have to work hard to make ends meet. Did your hubby have to get a license?
Cheers for reply.
Old May 5th 2007, 9:03 am
Hoping to move to Perth

lynnexcel will become famous soon enoughlynnexcel will become famous soon enough

Hi there

We did not need to get a licence here but lots of trades do - I think every state is different but have not heard of roofers having to get one. Wages could well be better on the east coast - that is just our experience in WA.

Everyone we know here is self employed - sub contract as that is the only way to make decent money here but like I say could be very different over there.

Lots of luck and safe journey to you all - its a fantastic life and we have found it very easy to live cheaply due to outdoor lifestyle.

All the best

Lynn
Old May 5th 2007, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

maisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lynnexcel
Hi there

We did not need to get a licence here but lots of trades do - I think every state is different but have not heard of roofers having to get one. Wages could well be better on the east coast - that is just our experience in WA.

Everyone we know here is self employed - sub contract as that is the only way to make decent money here but like I say could be very different over there.

Lots of luck and safe journey to you all - its a fantastic life and we have found it very easy to live cheaply due to outdoor lifestyle.

All the best

Lynn
Dear Lynexcel
Thanks for that as that would have been my next question as we are looking for a better life for our children and ourselves where the time we do spend together is more relaxed. Are you able to make a reasonable living as although I am a nurse I would only want to work part time and I would also have to get a job where I could be inflexible with my hours.
Great to hear it is what you wanted. Have been onto ctq and master builders in Queenland and they say he will need a license to start up on his own, need them to clarify if they mean just being self employed.They have directed me to a site that does the blue card on line so he can do that before we leave. His skills can also be assessed by the ctq as this is a pre requisite to the license. He runs his own business here and eventually will do same over there as seems to be similar as UK with regards to subbing.
Thanks for taking the time to reply and lovely to hear you have settled well.
Old May 6th 2007, 12:26 am
Hoping to move to Perth

Hiya

We came over and rented which is fairly cheap compared to home which gives you the chance to get on your feet and see where you want to live etc. Kids have settled really well into schools which is great - we have 2 boys 13 and 11 and a girl aged 7. They love it here and at the moment my parents are over and as we have only been here 5 months I worried it would unsettle them but they just love it here and it has made my parents realise that we have made the right move for the family.

You definately do more together as a family and there is not the pub culture like back home so everything you do is together and kids are welcome everywhere. (not like that in Scotland!!)

We have just bought a house and move in 2 weeks time now that we know the areas well etc.

My husbands father is here for two years and his partner is a nurse in Bunbury - she seems to be able to pick what shifts suit and most mums seem to work part time. I think they seem really flexible with regards families. Also a friend of ours is in Joondulup in north perth and she works evening shifts so her husband is around for the kids. So no probs there I wouldn't think.

Once you are over here it all falls into place so quickly and you meet people who advise etc. It can be hard work but the downfalls are certainly outweighed by the lifestyle etc. We live on way less than back home but it is possible here and hopefully it is still early days and it will get easier and easier as the years go by - the opportunities are endless here!

Your kids will love it and life will slow down so much - its great!! No more stress like in the UK with day to day life.

Anything else you are wondering about just get in touch and if I can help at all I will.

Take care

Lynn