Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession
Reload this Page >

MSc Engineering graduate Townsville

MSc Engineering graduate Townsville

Old Apr 4th 2007, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

Neil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really nice
Default MSc Engineering graduate Townsville

I intend to move permanently to Townsville, Queensland sometime around September. I will have then just graduated with an MSc in Energy Engineering (Green Chemical Process and Renewable Technology), on course for a a distinction.
I am a mature student with a background in Industrial Health & Safety and Legislation.
Can anyone advise on the job prospects for engineers in this area. I am aware that it is a big mining/engineering town and my undergraduate degree was in Geology. I would be looking to work in any of these related areas.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old May 4th 2007, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

Mitchclanky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: MSc Engineering graduate Townsville

Hey Neil.

Unfortunatly, (and i live in townsville) its not a large mining town! Most of the mining in the area is either in Mount ISA or charters towers. However its quite possible to base yourself in townsville and work in any of the mining areas around. I know of one man who lives here and flys out to work in mines near mackay every couple of weeks (QNI and BHP run most of these areas so maybe have a google around for them)

Townsville of course does have some other things to offer. Theres always the refinerys just on the outskirts of town (copper, nickel and zinc) (http://www.xstrata.com/). However i know at least in the copper refinery they dont deal with any ore or anything like that. They cast copper anodes out in mount ISA and truck them to townsville to be refined..

I would not suggest living in mount isa or charters towers! Unless you enjoy isolation etc. They are both pretty desolate.

All the best - Mitch
Old May 7th 2007, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

Neil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really nice
Default Re: MSc Engineering graduate Townsville

Thanks Mitch,
I'll look into that.
Cheers