Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession
Reload this Page >

Job situation in Subiaco/Leederville

Job situation in Subiaco/Leederville

Old Oct 28th 2006, 8:34 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Job situation in Subiaco/Leederville

Hi everyone

My husband passed his TRA on the basis of on the job training/inhouse plus the required years experience and no formal qualification/training.

Has anyone else managed to get chef employment this way?

And its a long shot, but if any of you live in Subi/Leederville, how have you found chef recruitment?

Checking the job sites is one thing but it is nice to hear peoples experiences.

Many thanks.

Old Oct 29th 2006, 1:25 am
Just Joined

lesleyf has a brilliant futurelesleyf has a brilliant futurelesleyf has a brilliant futurelesleyf has a brilliant futurelesleyf has a brilliant futurelesleyf has a brilliant future
Default Re: Job situation in Subiaco/Leederville

[QUOTE=Professional Princess]Hi everyone

My husband passed his TRA on the basis of on the job training/inhouse plus the required years experience and no formal qualification/training.

And its a long shot, but if any of you live in Subi/Leederville, how have you found chef recruitment?

Many t

Hi

I want to try and get my visa as a cook but with no formal qualifications ? Only many years running a catering establishment. What would you suggest and how do you get your skills assessed? Many thanks

lesley
Old Oct 29th 2006, 12:02 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=lesleyf]
Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Hi everyone

Many t

Hi

I want to try and get my visa as a cook but with no formal qualifications ? Only many years running a catering establishment. What would you suggest and how do you get your skills assessed? Many thanks

lesley

Hi Lesley, we initially passed hubbys TRA as a cook purely on experience and in-house training. Our agent appealed and got the decision re-classified as a chef.

In this case, it is well worth using an agent and we used Glenn Newton. His web address is www.alms.com.au

We were so pleased to get cook on no formal qualifications, so to get chef was a bonus.

Worth the money - I would contact him.

Sam
Old Oct 30th 2006, 3:16 am
Just Joined

lesleyf has a brilliant futurelesleyf has a brilliant futurelesleyf has a brilliant futurelesleyf has a brilliant futurelesleyf has a brilliant futurelesleyf has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=Professional Princess]
Originally Posted by lesleyf

Hi Lesley, we initially passed hubbys TRA as a cook purely on experience and in-house training. Our agent appealed and got the decision re-classified as a chef.

In this case, it is well worth using an agent and we used Glenn Newton. His web address is www.alms.com.au

We were so pleased to get cook on no formal qualifications, so to get chef was a bonus.

Worth the money - I would contact him.

Sam
HI sorry to be a pain, could you let me know how they do the actual test to to say that you are actually a cook? do you do papers or practical test?

thanks
Old Oct 30th 2006, 7:20 am

[QUOTE=lesleyf]
HI sorry to be a pain, could you let me know how they do the actual test to to say that you are actually a cook? do you do papers or practical test?

thanks

You dont sit a test, you just have to provide detailed employer statements.

Glenn sent us some examples of how to lay it out, equipment used, recipes etc. Im at work at the mment, Ill have a dig around and see if I can find the basic layout for you.

Speak soon.

Sam
Old Oct 30th 2006, 8:33 am
Just Joined

Glenn sent us some examples of how to lay it out, equipment used, recipes etc. Im at work at the mment, Ill have a dig around and see if I can find the basic layout for you.

Speak soon.

Sam

Thanks it would be a great help are you in oz now?
Old Nov 1st 2006, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

mad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to behold

Hi everyone

Many thanks.

Hello there
i am allso a chef have just done our medicals so it will not be to long for us to get our visa. i have looked at lots of jobs in perth and there are loads of chef jobs/head chef jobs alot are not on the internet my frend went to perth as a chef and said he was offered 4 jobs in one day so it should be ok and he never showed them any qualifications
all the best
Dave
Old Nov 1st 2006, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by mad.chef
Hello there
i am allso a chef have just done our medicals so it will not be to long for us to get our visa. i have looked at lots of jobs in perth and there are loads of chef jobs/head chef jobs alot are not on the internet my frend went to perth as a chef and said he was offered 4 jobs in one day so it should be ok and he never showed them any qualifications
all the best
Dave

Cheers for that Dave.

Although we are on shaky ground with no sign of a visa at the moment.
Old Nov 11th 2006, 7:03 am
Just Joined

Speak soon.

Sam

Hi spoke to the trade place and they have to have proof of training given how can you get that put on paper? if the company are no longer going? thanks for your help
Old Nov 11th 2006, 7:54 am

[QUOTE=lesleyf]

Hi spoke to the trade place and they have to have proof of training given how can you get that put on paper? if the company are no longer going? thanks for your help

We had to do a Statutory Declaration for one job which is a signed statement (we did ours in front of a solicitor and our agent set out the format) to prove hubby worked for this company.

I seriously reckon without formal training and if you are going on trade experience as we did, you are defo best hiring an agent.

With us, there was no room for error at all and no second chances.
Old Nov 14th 2006, 12:13 am
Drifting back to earth

wavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond repute

We had to do a Statutory Declaration for one job which is a signed statement (we did ours in front of a solicitor and our agent set out the format) to prove hubby worked for this company.

I seriously reckon without formal training and if you are going on trade experience as we did, you are defo best hiring an agent.

With us, there was no room for error at all and no second chances.
Hi Sam, your OH will have no probs finding a job anywhere in the city, there was at least 3 pages of Chefs jobs in the west this weekend (all grades). If you search further down this chefs forum you'll find I posted a list of agencies as well. I kow at least 3 other english head chefs in Perth who've also had no trouble finding work, but beware there is a lot of crap out there. For a 40-44hr wk you can expect to pull in anywhere between 55-70k. Are you buying in Subi/Leederville?

Good luck

Dave
Old Nov 14th 2006, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

mad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=wavy_davy]

Hi Sam, your OH will have no probs finding a job anywhere in the city, there was at least 3 pages of Chefs jobs in the west this weekend (all grades). If you search further down this chefs forum you'll find I posted a list of agencies as well. I kow at least 3 other english head chefs in Perth who've also had no trouble finding work, but beware there is a lot of crap out there. For a 40-44hr wk you can expect to pull in anywhere between 55-70k. Are you buying in Subi/Leederville?

Good luck

Dave
That sounds good no probs geting a job then cool
all the best
Dave
Old Nov 14th 2006, 7:43 am

[QUOTE=wavy_davy]

Good luck

Dave

We are going to rent first. Seems the average rent for 2 bedroom place is about $300 a week which is what we pretty much expected.

Still waiting on that old visa though Dave. Internal checks are taking forever.
Old May 8th 2007, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

Hi just noticed i had a private message from you in nov time , i would still love any help with the template for the tra. if you have time,

Lesley