police or probation?

Old Apr 1st 2007, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

labayu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default police or probation?

I've been thinking about applying to both the police and the probation services here in the UK. while it won't have a final say I am intrested on which would be better if I wanted to emigrate in 5-10 years time?

Both would have a 2 year training period (but hopefully should also count towards the "number of years in last X as police/probation"?), I'm 28, have a degree already and a 2 year qualification from Australia. I'm not definately certain I am going to want to emigrate, but I spent 2 years in Oz and have lots of canadian friends who keep telling me what its like over there and I definately want to be able to in the future. Maybe I'd be open to other places too, I see myself getting fed up with the UK before too long!

So are both proffesions likely to be in demand in Oz and canada in the next 2-10 years? I know probation IS in Oz right now and police ISnT (but that it was a while ago).

How much experinace would I have to get in both before I could emigrate and does one pay a lot more than the other in Oz or Canada?

Thanks!
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 8:46 am
Just Joined

PCSO_101 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: police or probation?

A good number of UK Police Officers are relocating to Australia at the moment. We have lost a fair few from my station over the last year, and a two more leaving in the next few months. At the moment, there is a huge pull for British Officers to go out there, we being the best trained throughout the world. One thing to remember, we here in the UK are streets ahead with all the new technology and so, it's like taking a huge step back going to work for other forces in different countries.

Once your signed up for the Police in the UK, there are ways to transfer to other countries like Australia maybe Canada?USA?NZ? The process seems quite straight forward really, however, a colleague last week was telling me she needed two medicals and they were going to cost a fortune (done private here in UK). If you have a degree you can be fast tracked into the Police Force. Ring recruitment of your desired force here in the UK. It may take some time for you to go through the recruitment process so, dont waste time in applying. Good luck!