NVQ Level 2 in canada?

Old Feb 18th 2009, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

hockeymonkey85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NVQ Level 2 in canada?

Hi guys,
I am hoping to go to canada on a bunac for 2010/11 to work as a commis chef or above. I have city & guilds NVQ level 2 in catering and hospitality and ABC Pastry Cooks and Patissiers although this was in 2002 and not used since. although i hope to do some temp work in the kitchen to find my feet before heading out!

I see that some hotels require a journeyman cert. is this likely to be essential?

can i convert my qualification somehow??

I think the NVQ course is not recogniased in Canada but is it acceptable to find chef work in alberta or banff or am i unlikely to find an employer to take me on as PNP at such low rank/experience.

I think i could get demi /or chef de partie if i'm lucky and they are patient to begin with say first 2 weeks?

I am actually really looking forward to service already, it's been a very long time.