Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession
Reload this Page >

Bricklayer looking for work in Perth

Bricklayer looking for work in Perth

Old Jun 22nd 2008, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

Sonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really nice
Default Bricklayer looking for work in Perth

My OH is looking for work (he is a bricklayer with 10 yrs experience and has completed an apprenticship and qualified to Level 3). We are looking to move to Perth, possibly Mandurah, Hillarys, Secret Harbour or Tapping. I know its like asking how long is a peice of string but whats the current job situation like for brickies? Any advice or job offers would be great!
Old Feb 12th 2009, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

smvh is just really nicesmvh is just really nicesmvh is just really nicesmvh is just really nicesmvh is just really nicesmvh is just really nicesmvh is just really nicesmvh is just really nice
Default Re: Bricklayer looking for work in Perth

hi just wondering if you ever got to perth and if u did what is the current situation with bricklaying jobs there.my oh and i are looking to go to mandurah this year he is a brickie and will be looking for work.doing our assessment for tra at the moment??????????
Old Feb 18th 2009, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

munch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nice

Hi
Be prepared to get up very early (at least 5.00am) to get The Western Australian paper, any jobs will be in there. Somtimes nothing sometimes 3 or 4advertised.
Usually there are about 50/60 other brickies (or say they are brickies calling for the same job) and they usually go very early, current rate between $220 -$260 p/day.
We arrived on 01st December and oh got a job after a few days of calling every vacancy, a lot won't touch you if you have just got here or are English and some just put the phone down - very frustrating after everything you go through to get here.
First job was great $260 p/day but travelling 1 hour 30 mins each way, then he got laid off. Got another about 1 week later, $250 p/day and still over hours drive each way. Longer hours, start at 7.00 finish at 3.30 sometimes later if they are behind, even when temp hits over 40 they still work. He has been sent home twice because too windy and laid off 2 days this week because materials not on site.
Very difficult time everywhere for trades, there are jobs here but the rate has dropped and lots of brickies chasing the few jobs in the paper.
I feel for anyone who works in construction, the work is physically draining and long hours. And the heat is something that takes some getting used to.
Not being negative, we knew what it was going to be like before we came but there was less work in the U.K. so we took a gamble, don't feel secure here but doubt anyone does at the moment.
Debbie
Old Feb 18th 2009, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

smvh is just really nicesmvh is just really nicesmvh is just really nicesmvh is just really nicesmvh is just really nicesmvh is just really nicesmvh is just really nicesmvh is just really nice

thanks very much for taking the time to write back,doesnt sound great does it although we are still determined to make the move despite the outlook. hopefully things will pick up a bit. im sure it been really hard for you both not knowing what is around the corner,can you see yourself staying?
Old Feb 18th 2009, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

Sonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really niceSonn is just really nice

Originally Posted by smvh
hi just wondering if you ever got to perth and if u did what is the current situation with bricklaying jobs there.my oh and i are looking to go to mandurah this year he is a brickie and will be looking for work.doing our assessment for tra at the moment??????????
Hi, no we are not out there yet. Prob wont be until June next year (im in 2nd yr at uni!). Its nit sounding good at the min though, but i suppose its like that everywhere at the min with tradies!
Old Feb 20th 2009, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

hi debbie,thaks for the info,as i said we are still willing to make the big move we have a few pound behind us but im quite sure we wouldnt be long getting through that if there were no jobs when we eventually land. would like very much if you could keep me posted on the job situation though would be much better hearing it from someone who is in the thick of it! thanks
shirley