Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession
Reload this Page >

looking at moving to canada....chef's wife

looking at moving to canada....chef's wife

Old Mar 25th 2007, 9:45 am
Just Joined

sal30 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default looking at moving to canada....chef's wife

hi, im a chefs wife and we are looking at moving abroad and have thought about moving to vancouver canada. can anyone help is it easy enough to get chef jobs out there he is a senior sous chef at min with nvq for assessing.
any information would be a big help

and a big hello to the rest of the chef partners

sally and wayne(chef)
and our 2 girls
Old Jul 7th 2007, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

grantjen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: looking at moving to canada....chef's wife

Hi
I am also a chef's wife. My husband and I moved to Canada in 2006. He is Scottish and I am Canadian. We moved to Saskatchewan to be close to my parents. My husband worked in UK as a head chef and was trained in a Michelin star restaurant. He has found no jobs here that are even close to that standard and is frustrated. BC has more (and better) so it is a good place for him. One thing that he found is that they have a Red Seal journeyman certificate for Chefs/Cooks here. Most job ads here state Red Seal is needed. He has found that it does not apply if you are from UK. No one cares if he has Red Seal because the training in UK is so much better than here. So don't let that stop him when looking for jobs. If you want more info I am sure he would be happy to help.
Good Luck
Jen.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

eve normand will become famous soon enougheve normand will become famous soon enough
Default Re: looking at moving to canada....chef's wife

Originally Posted by sal30
hi, im a chefs wife and we are looking at moving abroad and have thought about moving to vancouver canada. can anyone help is it easy enough to get chef jobs out there he is a senior sous chef at min with nvq for assessing.
any information would be a big help

and a big hello to the rest of the chef partners

sally and wayne(chef)
and our 2 girls

Hi Sally,
I am English married to a French Executive Chef living in France.We will be moving to Nova Scotia next year.I did loads of research into the best place for top end cuisine.I found that it is definately best to stay east coast rather than the West coast.The Eastern part is much more into good cuisine less Americanized, in some places a more European feel.My husband has contacts through certain organisations in Toronto/Montreal/Ottowa and they regularly have European Chefs over for all sorts of things.We know at least 3 people who have moved over the last 10 years and they are all successful.There cuisine much sought after.We have decided on Halifax.Mainly for quailty of life as we dont want a big town.A British feel.A a open market for European food.As it is smaller there are not a huge choice of jobs but is up and coming in regards to eating out.We plan to open our own business after a while.So I definately recommend somewhere to the east.You would be nearer home too!
Good Luck!