Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession
Reload this Page >

looking for another way into aus-could it be hairdressing?

looking for another way into aus-could it be hairdressing?

Old Jul 13th 2010, 5:29 am
Forum Regular

Bev_n is an unknown quantity at this point
Default looking for another way into aus-could it be hairdressing?

Hi guys, I'm devastated today cos found out that after 4 years training and 2 years working as a teacher i'm now ready to start the visa process and they've taken primary school teacher off the SOL!! :-( not impressed!!!

So can any1 tell me if it could be an option to become a hairdresser, the best way to do this, how long it would take?

or if youve experienced it, any stories would be appreciated!!

I've wanted to live in australia almost my whole life, i've travelled there, i know i want to live in QLD and my family really, really cant wait for me to move out there with them BUT NOW IT'S LOOKING LIKE I CAN'T!!!

advice please people!!?? feel like my dream has been crushed! :-(

bev x
Old Jul 18th 2010, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

Carl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really niceCarl England is just really nice
Default Re: looking for another way into aus-could it be hairdressing?

Originally Posted by Bev_n
Hi guys, I'm devastated today cos found out that after 4 years training and 2 years working as a teacher i'm now ready to start the visa process and they've taken primary school teacher off the SOL!! :-( not impressed!!!

So can any1 tell me if it could be an option to become a hairdresser, the best way to do this, how long it would take?

or if youve experienced it, any stories would be appreciated!!

I've wanted to live in australia almost my whole life, i've travelled there, i know i want to live in QLD and my family really, really cant wait for me to move out there with them BUT NOW IT'S LOOKING LIKE I CAN'T!!!

advice please people!!?? feel like my dream has been crushed! :-(

bev x
Hello Bev

I dont think that training to be a hairdresser just to get a visa is a no go you should not use this trade just to get a visa. I have been a hairdresser fow a number of years and love this profession inside out. I also ran a college before i moved here it would take you two years aprox to qualify, but it is possible to be done in 18 months but you have to have so many hours/years working as an experienced stylist before you can get a visa. the number of hours/years depends on you level of qualification. so you are looking at about 4 years minimum before qualifying for the skilled visa.
I have heard that hairdressing has just come off the skills shortage lost so would check that out first.

Regards
Carl
Old Aug 11th 2010, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

jools123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: looking for another way into aus-could it be hairdressing?

Originally Posted by Carl England
Hello Bev

I dont think that training to be a hairdresser just to get a visa is a no go you should not use this trade just to get a visa. I have been a hairdresser fow a number of years and love this profession inside out. I also ran a college before i moved here it would take you two years aprox to qualify, but it is possible to be done in 18 months but you have to have so many hours/years working as an experienced stylist before you can get a visa. the number of hours/years depends on you level of qualification. so you are looking at about 4 years minimum before qualifying for the skilled visa.
I have heard that hairdressing has just come off the skills shortage lost so would check that out first.

Regards
Carl
hi
hairdressing is no longer on the sol, so i wouldent try that one.
im in the same position, as a hairdresser with wa ss beeen waiting a year and then poof, god knows how long it will take now or if i will even get there they may just keep me in the que forever.
i think sponsorship is the only way now , so if anyone knows of a buisness wanting a very skilled enthusiastic always willing to learn fun hairdresser with fab customer services, do us a favor and pm me
cheers
jools