Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession
Reload this Page >

Confused Welder where to begin?

Confused Welder where to begin?

Old Feb 17th 2009, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

ftm2009 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Confused Welder where to begin?

Hello I am new to the forum and have read many posts as well as using search thread, there is a lot of great information around but I was wondering if anyone can advise me specifically on my case which is as such :

Me : 32 year old time served 1st class welder (12 years post apprenticeship experience)

Wife 35 year old Qualified nursery nurse.

Son1 10 years old

Son2 7 years old

Baby 3 (TBC)

I have a million questions as I am sure you all did when first deciding on the big step of emigrating, here are a few and hopefully someone in welding game can advise.

1)What are the welding opportunities at the moment and will the job be paid sufficient to take care of my family?

2)I believe Queensland is the best place for my type of work is this still the case?

3)What kind of visa is advisable for me and my family and how likely am I to be accepted?

4) what is average time scale from applying to being granted?

5) lets say I came over with no job at first and worse case scenario I couldnt find one for a while, what approx cost of living per month and how much would i need in my War Chest ?

Any advice at all on anything is much appreciated I do realise I am at the very start of a long journey and wish to be sure I am doing the right thing for me and my family, I think if i sold up in UK and paid off all my debts I would be left with about £40-50k, not a great deal but thats everything I have, hence the worry of risking the lot and starting afresh back in the uk if it goes pear shaped.

Many thanks for a great forum, looking forward to knowledgable replies
Old Feb 17th 2009, 3:19 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Confused Welder where to begin?

Originally Posted by ftm2009
Hello I am new to the forum and have read many posts as well as using search thread, there is a lot of great information around but I was wondering if anyone can advise me specifically on my case which is as such :

Me : 32 year old time served 1st class welder (12 years post apprenticeship experience)

Son1 10 years old

Son2 7 years old

Baby 3 (TBC)

I have a million questions as I am sure you all did when first deciding on the big step of emigrating, here are a few and hopefully someone in welding game can advise.

1)What are the welding opportunities at the moment and will the job be paid sufficient to take care of my family?

2)I believe Queensland is the best place for my type of work is this still the case?

3)What kind of visa is advisable for me and my family and how likely am I to be accepted?

5) lets say I came over with no job at first and worse case scenario I couldnt find one for a while, what approx cost of living per month and how much would i need in my War Chest ?

Any advice at all on anything is much appreciated I do realise I am at the very start of a long journey and wish to be sure I am doing the right thing for me and my family, I think if i sold up in UK and paid off all my debts I would be left with about £40-50k, not a great deal but thats everything I have, hence the worry of risking the lot and starting afresh back in the uk if it goes pear shaped.

1 - not as good as a year ago to be honest. You will be looking at anything from $ 20 - 30 per hour, this is in a workshop and does not factor in FIFO or mining.
2 - not sure. certainly plenty of businesses in this line but most are a bit quiet.
3 - you should get pr 136 with this trade, but please look into this, there are many options
4 - will vary but lets say 10-12 months
5 - much debate about this, but my opinion is, overall Aus is slightly cheaper in this regard but by so small a margin it is fairly safe to say costs are similar.

Treat every penny of your wedge as a prisioner
Old Feb 17th 2009, 4:11 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

hubby is a pipe fitter welder (20 years post apprenticeship experience) we have been in Australia 6 weeks now and have to say while we were looking for jobs from the UK there seemed to be hundreds now barely any get advertised and i've been looking at Perth and Brisbane.

My husband reckons he is the best at what he does and has so much experience of doing different types of pipe and welding so he has plenty of skills to offer, but it doesnt seem to matter.

We keep getting told its not what you know its who you know in order to secure work.

We are lucky in the fact we have some money to help us through this period but very soon we will be hitting the money I have said we cant touch then I will start to worry.

Be sure you have enough to keep you going if work is hard to come by.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the reply can I ask how much you reckon I would need behind me to come over ?
I would be looking to rent a house nothing flash of course and cost of living expenses, ideally approx cost per month so that I can work out how long I can live before money runs out.
If you or any other readers of the forum use msn I would love to talk that way and ask about life in Oz.

Many thanks
Old Feb 17th 2009, 1:58 pm
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

i think it depends where you live and the frequency of how much work comes up, we are in Cairns and comparing to somwhere like Brisbane or Perth is quite difficult as there seems to be more work come up there check on http://www.alljobs.com.au/ for what is available.

As far as rents go there is such a vast range depending on what you want I know a family of 4 who have a lovely 3 bed house with pool and I believe are paying around $350 a week, whereas we have gone for a 4/5 bed house costing $470 a week check http://www.realestate.com.au/ for a good range and idea of what you can get.

We had to pay upfront for our house as we wanted to secure a 6 month rental incase we didnt like it here our owners wanted us to take a 12 month lease (his seems to becoming more common as the recession takes hold in my opinion) butwe said no but the owner said we could have 6 month if we paid upfront this wasnt an issue for us so we paid it, we also had to pay $1880 bond which we get back when we leave.

when we arrived we had to buy a car beds, washing machine, dining tables, fridge tv's etc have only a few things coming over so we had to take that into consideration we spent about $30.000

We also had to pay for school fees nearly $600 for 2 teenage boys at state school, football team memberships, uniforms.

shopping I would say is on par with UK not sure about utilities yet as we have not had any bills come in.

How much you need to have behind you will depend completely on your own needs, obviously you can spend a lot less than what we did but we opted to buy some beautiful furniture etc. and you can definitely get a decent car for less than we paid.

hope thats helped a little once I start I cant stop

good luck
Old Feb 17th 2009, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ftm2009

Son1 10 years old

Son2 7 years old

Baby 3 (TBC)

Like kporte said they vary between $20-$30 have a look on www.seek.com.au for an idea
My husband is a welder and its where we're going!
Probably a 175 you're trade is MODL and CSL (thats good!) a 136 visa doesn't exist anymore.
7/8 months
I don't know sorry we're not there yet!

I could only answer a few but have a look on the immigration section of the forum for more help
Old Feb 17th 2009, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the great replies by 2 people that are in almost identical situations job wise
If at all possible that you could advise by email or MSN would be much appreciated, just general questions really that are better answered by someone in same situations.
Thanks
Steve