Reload this Page >

Where do I start? UK/Aus citizen

Where do I start? UK/Aus citizen

Old Nov 17th 2020, 11:04 am
Just Joined

slightlyodd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where do I start? UK/Aus citizen

Hi
I'm a 34 year old British Australian citizen and I've been wanting to move abroad for some time but have no idea where to start. I want to work somewhere at least predominantly English speaking and where it is plausible I may get to visit my family without years of saving (they are in the UK) but all the help to move programmes I can see cut off at age 30 or aren't running at all. I don't know where I will have any rights to live, I don't know where to look for work, I don't know whether to say I'm British or Australian as very few of these things seem to list duel nationality as an option.

Can anyone help? I'm so confused.
Old Nov 17th 2020, 11:25 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do I start? UK/Aus citizen

Hi and welcome to BE.

As a start, you'll need to do some independent research to identify which country/countries you're interested in living in. This research may be time consuming but it's an essential investment in your future. Official government immigration websites are the best place to get immigration criteria from as there are many commercial immigration sites that may or may not provide you with the correct information.

Wading through all that information can be daunting, so once you've identified a likely country/countries you can ask questions and get a lot of help and advice from our individual forums, which cover most regions of the world. You'll need to be prepared to give non-identifying information such as age, academic qualifications, field of employment and work/career history.

Please come back here and ask if you have any trouble navigating around the British Expats website and we'll be pleased to assist.

Best of luck with your research.

Old Nov 17th 2020, 12:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Where are you now and where do you want to go ?
Old Nov 17th 2020, 12:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slightlyodd
Hi
I'm a 34 year old British Australian citizen and I've been wanting to move abroad for some time but have no idea where to start. I want to work somewhere at least predominantly English speaking and where it is plausible I may get to visit my family without years of saving (they are in the UK) but all the help to move programmes I can see cut off at age 30 or aren't running at all. I don't know where I will have any rights to live, I don't know where to look for work, I don't know whether to say I'm British or Australian as very few of these things seem to list duel nationality as an option.

The only places you'll have the right to live are the UK or Australia, only citizens have the right to reside in a country.

So you want English speaking but don't want to live in the UK or Australia? NZ may be an option, I believe that it's easier for Australian citizens to get a visa for NZ, but if you ask in the NZ immigration section of the forum they'll help you with that. Of course that's a very long way from your family in the UK, but how much saving it would require to visit them will depend on your job and income. Canada possibly? Again, look in to visas if that's of any interest, it's closer than NZ but may not be as easy visa wise. The US is very tough for most to move to, but you've not mentioned your skills/job/qualifications, so hard to say for sure if you'd stand a chance.

I think you need to work out which country may best suit and then you can ask in the immigration section of the forum for that country as to your chances - give as much info as possible on your post, i.e. your job and qualifications, any ties to the country etc.

Best of luck to you.
Old Nov 17th 2020, 4:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

What work do you do..... what is your level of education?
Old Dec 8th 2020, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slightlyodd
Hi

Hi, You can live and work in the UK but if you want to live and be near the UK then you would be looking at Europe where the language may be your barrier and soon Brexit also. What type of career/work do you do? That might help with some of the replies/advice. We also have joint nationalities and use whichever one is best for the situation, ie looking for work this side of the world then British, the East and Australiasia then our Aussie citizenship. Good luck and have a good Christmas
Old Jan 13th 2021, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

ronnyx1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Every journey starts with the first steps sometimes we can get a wee bit bogged down by overthinking, if you can work out what you want to do this would be a good start, good luck to you.
Old Jan 15th 2021, 4:45 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hello As you hold Australian Citizenship you might be interested in International Experience Canada - which gives a 2 year open work permit to the lucky few who are picked from the pool. You can enter the pool up to and including the age of 35. It doesn't seem likely that it will open this year due to Covid, but if you get a chance, do have a read and see if you might be interested if it does... it might give you a taste of Canada and perhaps help with points to be able to apply for Permanent Residence if you thought you might like to stay. 7 hours to the UK from Toronto - and nowhere near as expensive to fly to the UK as it is from Australia https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/i...gory_name_cont

You should have the right to live and work in the UK if you have dual nationality Aus/UK.. so you do have options, if you felt you wanted to move to blighty..

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 15th 2021 at 4:49 am.
Old Jan 16th 2021, 11:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

The Common Travel Area means that you can live and work in the Irish Republic. The 6 Counties of the North, still part of the UK, are also open to you.
Old Jan 31st 2021, 10:19 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
The only places you'll have the right to live are the UK or Australia, only citizens have the right to reside in a country.

So you want English speaking but don't want to live in the UK or Australia? NZ may be an option, I believe that it's easier for Australian citizens to get a visa for NZ, but if you ask in the NZ immigration section of the forum they'll help you with that.
They don't really need one at all. It's pretty much free movement although not quite as open as the EU. Applicants apply at the border and have to meet character requirements etc.

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/know...and%20%3B%20or