Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Scottish lass wanting to move to the US

Scottish lass wanting to move to the US

Old Dec 7th 2010, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

smileylinzi is just really nicesmileylinzi is just really nicesmileylinzi is just really nicesmileylinzi is just really nicesmileylinzi is just really nicesmileylinzi is just really nicesmileylinzi is just really nicesmileylinzi is just really nice
Default Scottish lass wanting to move to the US

Hey everyone,

So i'm 23 and will be graduating in the summer with a degree in international business and marketing. I really want to spend at least a year working in the US- i'm looking at San Fran and maybe Chicago- with a job in events management. I am just starting my research so I am completely new to this. If anyone could give me tips on how to oranise a job that would be fantastic, though I understand that competing against people who already live in the country is going to be hard. My plan is to work for a year and gain experience and some income. At the end there is also a small postibility of travelling around the country with a friend of mine there which would be amazing- though I am not sure how that would fit in with a visa? If anyone can recommend companies to look into- I would prefer a smaller firm as I am not big on large corporations.

Anyway hi all, hope you're well!

Linz
xxx
Old Dec 7th 2010, 3:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scottish lass wanting to move to the US

Originally Posted by smileylinzi
Hey everyone,

So i'm 23 and will be graduating in the summer with a degree in international business and marketing. I really want to spend at least a year working in the US- i'm looking at San Fran and maybe Chicago- with a job in events management. I am just starting my research so I am completely new to this. If anyone could give me tips on how to oranise a job that would be fantastic, though I understand that competing against people who already live in the country is going to be hard. My plan is to work for a year and gain experience and some income. At the end there is also a small postibility of travelling around the country with a friend of mine there which would be amazing- though I am not sure how that would fit in with a visa? If anyone can recommend companies to look into- I would prefer a smaller firm as I am not big on large corporations.

Anyway hi all, hope you're well!

Linz
xxx

Hi there and welcome to BE.

Even when the economy is good the US is one of the hardest countries to move to. Read through this...if you fit into any of the categories you may be in with a chance. Take a look at the Bunac website I don't know whether that organisation would hold any opportunities for you. You may also find useful information in the BE Wiki.

The good news is you can visit the US for a maxium of 90 days...which would give you and your friend plenty of time to travel around the country. Why don't you pop over there to our US Forums and take a look around?

If you require any assistance finding your way around BE's many forums we have a team of concierges who will act as your tour guide...they will be pleased to help you. The concierge for the US forums is Kaffy Mintcake...please contact her if you need pointing in the right direction.

If you have any problems or concerns please contact a mod or admin. The mods for the US forums are Bob and MsElui. Although you can contact any mod or admin...there is usually one of us around 24/7.

Please give me a shout if I can be of further help. I look forward to seeing you in the US forums.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Dec 7th 2010 at 3:12 pm. Reason: insert link to Bunac
Old Dec 7th 2010, 6:34 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scottish lass wanting to move to the US

Hi smileylinzi ,

Welcome to BE. I'm sure you will find lots of tips here. If you follow the links that Jerseygirl gave you then you will be off to a good start.

I hope you enjoy being part of our little community.

Sue