Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Please Help....Anyone got an IT job offer whilst in UK?

Please Help....Anyone got an IT job offer whilst in UK?

Old Oct 11th 2011, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

Rueyodale2012 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Please Help....Anyone got an IT job offer whilst in UK?

Hello everyone. i am new on here and hoping to be in Sydney with my family by end of January 2012. My hubby is in IT Application support analyst (something) like that. He has been applying for jobs and not had any luck.Is there anyone who has had some success with an IT job, got interviewed and offered the job from UK? I would really appreciate your info advice on cv,companies, agencies,etc. Some are not even responding...

Please HELP!!
Old Oct 11th 2011, 3:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please Help....Anyone got an IT job offer whilst in UK?

Originally Posted by Rueyodale2012
Hello everyone. i am new on here and hoping to be in Sydney with my family by end of January 2012. My hubby is in IT Application support analyst (something) like that. He has been applying for jobs and not had any luck.Is there anyone who has had some success with an IT job, got interviewed and offered the job from UK? I would really appreciate your info advice on cv,companies, agencies,etc. Some are not even responding...

Please HELP!!
Hi and welcome to BE.

I think it is usually much harder to find employment when you are living in another country. Saying that I don't have any idea how easy or hard it is to find a job in IT in Australia. I think you would be best to repost your question in our Australia Forums. We have a great bunch of people who post in those forums...they will do their best to answer your questions. The link I have given you will take you to the main index page of the Australia Forum...at the top of the page you will see a list of sub forums. The top forum is the Immigration Forum...the Main forum is for topics relating to Australia and The Barbie is for general chit chat.

Kelli, Sherlock Holmes and newjersey are the concierges for the Australia forums...so if you have any problems finding your way around our many forums please contact Kelli, Alistair or newjersey

For all other concerns or problems please contact a moderator or admin. Every BE forum has at least one moderator dedicated to that forum...Australia has 4...Cresta57, Monneypenny20,, Sonlymewalter and Alfresco.

I hope you enjoy being part of our community of British Expats.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 8:03 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there. You are welcome to repost this question in the main Australia forum, it will surely get more attention there, and in a word, what you are trying to do is not impossible.

Edit: difficult, but not impossible.

2nd edit: don't forget to mention what visa you are on

Last edited by newjersey; Oct 11th 2011 at 8:06 pm.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

onmywaytomilan is on a distinguished road

Please HELP!!
I seem to recall a big online job search site for jobs in Oz was something called Seek. I applied 4 years ago to a job ad placed on this job search website. I was currently based in UK and I had 3 interviews by phone..I'm also in IT and the job was in Sydney. I got offered it but turned it down in the end due a role I took in Dubai. All I can suggest is persevere. Good luck.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 8:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Please HELP!!
Hi and welcome.

I echo NJ's advice about posting again in the Australia forum for more responses.

But in a nutshell, some people manage to secure jobs from overseas but not many unless they are in an occupation where there are real shortages of local candidates and I don't think IT is such an occupation.

It is also fairly common for companies to only respond to successful candidates these days, anywhere in the world.

If you already have the visa, then come over and start the job hunt. If you don't have a visa already then that further explains why you are getting nowhere and perhaps you should look into doing things that way round i.e. visa then job not job then visa.

Good luck.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 10:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Hi and welcome.

I echo NJ's advice about posting again in the Australia forum for more responses.

But in a nutshell, some people manage to secure jobs from overseas but not many unless they are in an occupation where there are real shortages of local candidates and I don't think IT is such an occupation.

It is also fairly common for companies to only respond to successful candidates these days, anywhere in the world.

If you already have the visa, then come over and start the job hunt. If you don't have a visa already then that further explains why you are getting nowhere and perhaps you should look into doing things that way round i.e. visa then job not job then visa.

Good luck.
As with all occupations, IT being one of them is still in demand. I've been in IT for over 15 years and have had no problem securing good roles in Australia, US, UK and Europe and the Middle East I.e there is demand but given the competitive marketplace, you are better positioned if you have solid international/global experience, in systems integration and outsourcing, whether that be in a technical/solution capacitybor consultative capacity. That has been my experience
Old Oct 11th 2011, 10:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by onmywaytomilan
As with all occupations, IT being one of them is still in demand. I've been in IT for over 15 years and have had no problem securing good roles in Australia, US, UK and Europe and the Middle East I.e there is demand but given the competitive marketplace, you are better positioned if you have solid international/global experience, in systems integration and outsourcing, whether that be in a technical/solution capacitybor consultative capacity. That has been my experience
Exhaust all avenues and persevere...you might be surprised...good luck. This is a global marketplace today...you don't always have to in situ to secure a job in a particular country.

Last edited by onmywaytomilan; Oct 11th 2011 at 10:39 pm.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 11:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by onmywaytomilan
Is it in enough demand that somebody can apply from the UK without a visa and get a job and sponsorship - that was what I meant. I am not suggesting it is difficult to find work in IT generally.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 11:49 pm
Just Joined

Is it in enough demand that somebody can apply from the UK without a visa and get a job and sponsorship - that was what I meant. I am not suggesting it is difficult to find work in IT generally.
Yes, if you're the right candidate they will offer sponsorship.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 8:33 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Generally is an operative word here Support roles (what kind, the op did is yet to mention, and that's important) generally have higher rate of applicants, mainly coming from the sheer numbers, supplied by world's IT farms in India and the like, so you are, generally, going against more competition and to be successful have to make yourself stand out in a big way.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 11:46 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rueyodale

I see the others ahve pointed you in the right direction, so I just wanted to say welcome to BE and I hope you succeed in what are looking to do

Dread - x