Old Jan 7th 2012, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

jessamin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default newbie

Hi

my names kelly im looking at moving to canada with my other half and three children we are looking at alberta at the minute.

i have been looking into schools bbut all seems confusing about grades and stuff with the kids.

mt partner is ok with finding a job out there. but im a teaching assistant and a qualified childminder do these count for much is canada and does anyone know much aboout the pay for childminding as i cant find much online.

hope everyone is well and enjoying there weekend

kelly
Old Jan 7th 2012, 10:50 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: newbie

Hi Kelly

First of all welcome to BE. You have certainly come to the right place for information and help with moving abroad.
I see you have already found our Canada forum and posted on there - and got some replies, so you're well on the way to finding out all you want to know. I wouldn't be at all surprised if you ended up childminding for some of the expats themselves !!
It is well worth a read of the Canada immigration section to help with the dreaded visa process when the time comes, and also the wiki which is full of useful information - and of course feel free to ask questions on the forum itself as there are lots of folks only too willing to offer advice and tips to help things go smoothly for you. Not only will you find out the things you need to know, but you can be making friends at the same time, and getting to know some folks in your new home to be.

That just leaves me to wish you all the very best with your plans

Dread - x
Old Jan 8th 2012, 3:35 am

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jessamin
Hi

my names kelly im looking at moving to canada with my other half and three children we are looking at alberta at the minute.

i have been looking into schools bbut all seems confusing about grades and stuff with the kids.

mt partner is ok with finding a job out there. but im a teaching assistant and a qualified childminder do these count for much is canada and does anyone know much aboout the pay for childminding as i cant find much online.

hope everyone is well and enjoying there weekend

kelly
Hi Kelly. Yes, school grades here can be confusing to start with. Also, Canada is a large country and how things work in one part doesn't necessarily mean it will be the same in another. I see you mention Alberta, which is where we are but, again, Alberta is very large so, again, things may possibly be different in different school areas. Here, in our area at least, the cut off age is the end of February. To quote from our school division's website -

"Parents have the option of enrolling their child in Kindergarten for one year provided the child is five years of age by the last day of February or not older than 6 years of age on September 1 of the school year the child begins Kindergarten. Students who are six years of age on September 1 of the school year will be placed in Grade One."

Hope this helps.

I don't know how old your children are but something to bear in mind is that kindergarten isn't necessarily a full-day program. Certainly here, in our area, it is only a half-day program where you are usually have the option of a morning or afternoon class. I know some areas offer full-day programs too. In our area, children don't attend full-time school until they move into Grade 1.

Sorry, I don't know much about childminding over here although I see you've already been given some pointers in the Canada Forum.

All the best!
Old Jan 8th 2012, 5:10 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary