Reload this Page >

Seeking Citizenship Advice: Planning for Children

Seeking Citizenship Advice: Planning for Children

Old Jan 6th 2012, 7:42 am
Just Joined

Charlie_C is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Seeking Citizenship Advice: Planning for Children

Hi,

I am a permanent resident card holder, and have been living in the US for 3 years. I recently married a US citizen. I do not want to give up my UK citizenship. We want to keep as many doors open as possible for the future, for us and our children. I spoke to someone who was a similar situation to me, and when she moved back to Scotland, she has to obtain citizenship for her children. I've been reading and it looks like even if I fly to Scotland to have babies, they aren't automatically UK citizens because I haven't been permanently residing there for 3 consecutive years.

Is it easier to have kids here then apply for British by descent citizenship for them?

Also, if I get US citizenship, do I have to pay US taxes if I move back to Scotland later in life?
Old Jan 6th 2012, 7:44 am
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Seeking Citizenship Advice: Planning for Children

Welcome to the forum, if you look around and use the search function you can usually find the answers you seek.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 7:47 am
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

If you are British, any children you have, even if born in the states, will be eligible for British Citizenship.

If you become a USC you will always have to file taxes, but not necessarily pay anything
Old Jan 6th 2012, 8:04 am
Just Joined

Charlie_C is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks! Do you happen to know the rough fees that might be invloved in obtaining British citizenship for a spouse/child? I just had to pay $450 to change my name.... that makes US citizenship slightly more appealing. Plus I can't be out of the country for more than a year, ever, so if we decide to move to Scotland later - I'd have to have US citizenship or I'd lose my greencard. If I am dual of US and UK,does that make any difference in my ability to aid my spouse & children's UK citizenship process? Or, does it not make any difference?
Old Jan 6th 2012, 8:16 am
Are we there yet?

Sorry I have no idea, but google is your friend

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=563641

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=671498

http://immigration.findlaw.com/immig...-you-know.html
Old Jan 6th 2012, 8:20 am
Are we there yet?

Just a point, provided you are british, and were born british, your children will automatically be british also.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...en/bornabroad/
Old Jan 7th 2012, 11:42 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trixie_b
If you are British, any children you have, even if born in the states, will be eligible for British Citizenship.
If they got it "other wise than by descent" yes it is passed on, other wise there are hoops to be met.

As a LPR, you've got to file to the IRS taxes where ever you are resident and where ever you have assets above a certain amount, being a USC wouldn't change that.

Process for obtaining residence for your USC spouse to move to the UK changes in April. It is currently quite quick, but not that cheap.

Oh and this forum is just a place to introduce yourself.

If you want more info on this, I suggest browsing the MBTUK forum here, or the wiki, which has a lot of info already.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 12:54 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Charlie

First of all welcome to BE.

If you haven't already I recommend you check out the USA forum, which is for those expats who are living or working in the USA.
I am sure if you raise these points on that forum you will get replies from many other Brits who are or have been in exactly the saem situation, so there is a wealth of knowledge on there about all these sorts of factors.

You will find the USA forum by clciking the forum index tab at the top left corner of this page. Scroll down the list of countries and double click on USA and you're in.

All the best
Dread - x
Old Jan 7th 2012, 2:25 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

if you kids are british by descent then the 'cost' of this is the cost of getting a passport. you dont have to get a form or procedure for it - just follow the normal process for thier uk passports.

Bear in mind though that if THEY are British by decent then any kids they have wont automatically have citizenship. Ie my 2 boys were born in the uk so their kids will be British by descent. my daughter was born here in the us so shes a US citizen and British citizen by descent- but her kids wont be auto British citizens.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 5:12 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary