Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Hi from a Maltese guy in Canada!

Hi from a Maltese guy in Canada!

Old Sep 16th 2013, 11:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Hi from a Maltese guy in Canada!

Hey Guys, i'm Jack, a "Canadian" born guy of Maltese descent (second generation born in Canada, so my grandparents are Maltese fully and have retired in Malta now, after a period of emigration/working in Canada during which they had my Mum and her siblings)

I am on this forum to help others when they ask for information in the Malta forum, as well as to seek help with my emigration adventure, as although I am only in Grade 9 (By canadian education standards) my plan after high school is to move back to Malta, as i've always loved it there since age 12 when i made my second trip there. My first was when I was about 6 years of age so I didn't really remember much from that trip, or i'm sure I would have loved it from first sight! Anyway, I have pretty much set myself on a clear path by applying for Maltese citizenship by descent/registration , thus eliminating any visa/PR issues and giving me full and unquestionable right of abode in the Maltese islands/Republic of Malta, as well as the right of free movement in the European Union (EU) as Malta is part of the EU.

I know some of you will say "Ohh you're too young to know what you want in life" but I am fairly sure of myself... I would agree with you about most of my peers/friends, because when I ask them where they want to be in 4 years or what profession they want to pursue, most say they don't know.

But I know that i want to do one of two things: 1) Own a small business. (Take a business degree at the University of Malta!) or 2) Something in Computer Programming/Computer Sciences. The second road involves lots of technology related things which i love! But it also involves alot of Maths and Science. Both of which I hate with a severe passion! So I am leaning more towards the small business sector. Malta could use a computer store that takes returns on €700 laptops!

And, I also know that I am 99.999999999999999999999% sure I want to do either of those things in Malta!

Anyway, that's me everyone! See you on the forums! And hope to see some of you under the Maltese sun in 4 years time!
Old Sep 17th 2013, 2:03 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi from a Maltese guy in Canada!

Hello Jack and welcome to the forum

Despite your young age I'm sure you will be most welcome in both the Canada and Malta sections....and any other section come to that. Have a good browse around and see what you find on here.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 3:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks bakedbean
Old Sep 17th 2013, 8:57 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome to BE,

As BB mentioned be sure to check out our Malta forum.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 10:32 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
Hey Guys, i'm Jack, a "Canadian" born guy of Maltese descent (second generation born in Canada, so my grandparents are Maltese fully and have retired in Malta

I am on this forum to help others when they ask for information in the Malta forum, as well as to seek help with my emigration adventure
Anyway, that's me everyone! See you on the forums! And hope to see some of you under the Maltese sun in 4 years time!
Hello u merħba
Old Sep 17th 2013, 7:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Grazzi, not2old! Int Maltija?
Old Sep 17th 2013, 7:49 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Guys, just a reminder that the language to be used is English as mentioned in the site rules
Old Sep 17th 2013, 8:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yeah i knew that lol if any one is wondering our dialogue was
not2old - Hello and welcome!
me - "Thanks, are you Maltese?"
Old Sep 17th 2013, 8:04 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah i knew that lol if any one is wondering our dialogue was
not2old - Hello and welcome!
me - "Thanks, are you Maltese?"
That's okay - I got some of it - just wanted to make sure you were aware of the rules before you got into a long conversation
Old Sep 17th 2013, 10:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Smile Re: Hi from a Maltese guy in Canada!

If theres one thing i hate about things over there, it's when they know someone only speaks in English and they speak Maltese/Italian/whatever in a group conversation anyway leaving you the odd guy out - i know how it feels. Even family does it on purpose so you dont know, and my maltese is terrible - that convo is about the extent of it unfortunately You expats probably experience that daily when going out in non-english speaking countries - I feel for you!! And if you understood it old sparkles, it may mean there's more Maltese people or Expats in Malta on here than i thought! (Which is a good thing, because then i know theres people here who can answer for their experiences in Malta!)
Old Sep 17th 2013, 10:37 pm

If theres one thing i hate about things over there, it's when they know someone only speaks in English and they speak Maltese/Italian/whatever in a group conversation anyway leaving you the odd guy out - i know how it feels. Even family does it on purpose so you dont know, and my maltese is terrible - that convo is about the extent of it unfortunately You expats probably experience that daily when going out in non-english speaking countries - I feel for you!! And if you understood it old sparkles, it may mean there's more Maltese people or Expats in Malta on here than i thought! (Which is a good thing, because then i know theres people here who can answer for their experiences in Malta!)
I got the hello, and thank you

I grew up in North Wales, but lived in England for a while and didn't speak Welsh as well as I should have. In the Summer you could ask for things in the shops in English and they would serve you. In winter, outside of the tourist season - no chance, and even if they had been speaking English before you walked in they would switch to Welsh. Don't think they knew that I understood more than I spoke though
Old Sep 17th 2013, 10:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yep, thats sort of how i am with maltese. My speaking/writing is horrific, but if i listen to a conversation for a while i can put together what they are talking about, and if they're talking about something they dont necesarrily want me to hear, i just give a little laugh in my head and let them believe i dont understand. Its best that way then you can get all the juicy details!

But when you're in a group convo and you make nothing of what they are saying, it's very agonizing especially when you know they all speak english well