Hello there.

Old Apr 25th 2010, 7:39 pm
jef
Just Joined

jef is just really nicejef is just really nicejef is just really nicejef is just really nicejef is just really nicejef is just really nicejef is just really nicejef is just really nice
Smile Hello there.

Greetings, The name's Jim, jef is my initials and my usual internet handle just to save confusion.

I'm a 21 year old lorry driver from Derby, and I've spent quite a large portion of my life abroad, mainly on holidays, but not usually the type of holidays where it's all hotels, tacky shops and overpriced brit-bars, so I'd consider myself quite well traveled, since I left school I've usually have a few week long jaunts round various countries each year, such as Germany, Basque country, Hungary, Russia and various other places mainly in Europe and mainly fairly local to the UK, but I've certainly enjoyed it, and I'm wanting to shift abroad full-time for a few years before I'm old enough to say "what if I had done that?", There's no 1 particular place I want to goto, but a whole list of them. USA/Canada has always been a bit of a dream of mine, along with places in South America and places in Africa too.

Anyway, After reading various government immigration policy websites, I've come to the conclusion that being a Lorry driver will get me nowhere, I fully expected this with the U.S system, but I'd heard Canada took a far more liberal approach to immigration (whether right or wrong).

Now I'm far from uneducated, but I decided to go round Europe at 15 instead of staying on at school and going to university. So my only real proof of ability is my driving licence (class 1), Although I don't consider this to be a skilled/professional job, I appear unable to find any other type of immigration category to suit my situation, and aparently category C jobs aren't in demand and so I'm unable to even apply for immigration. Am I missing somthing here or should I just leave it and research into elsewhere?

Sorry to be a bore, and apologies if I'm being more than a little stupid.

Many thanks in advance.
Jim
Old Apr 25th 2010, 7:44 pm
not wired right

scottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Hello there.

welcome Jef ... your prob better posting this in the canadian truckers forum - there are loads of excelent guys on there which'll be able to help offering excellent advice
Old Apr 25th 2010, 8:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there Jef and welcome.

We have quite a few members who are truck drivers in North America...we also have a sub forum for Trucking here.

I'm sorry but I can't help you with your questions about Canadian Immigration because I'm living in the US but if you click on this link it will direct you to our main Canada forum. At the top of the page you will see a list of the Canada forums...the first one being Immigration...please post your immigration questions here.

Please shout out if you require any assistance navigating the forums. The moderators for the Canada forums are Iaink and Christmasoompa...although any mod or admin will be pleased to help you.

Why can't I get this out of my head?
Old Apr 25th 2010, 9:12 pm
not wired right

scottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

Why can't I get this out of my head?
Old Apr 26th 2010, 8:57 am
Just Joined

Cthlyt is just really niceCthlyt is just really niceCthlyt is just really niceCthlyt is just really niceCthlyt is just really niceCthlyt is just really niceCthlyt is just really niceCthlyt is just really nice

Originally Posted by jef
Greetings, The name's Jim, jef is my initials and my usual internet handle just to save confusion.

I'm a 21 year old lorry driver from Derby, and I've spent quite a large portion of my life abroad, mainly on holidays, but not usually the type of holidays where it's all hotels, tacky shops and overpriced brit-bars, so I'd consider myself quite well traveled, since I left school I've usually have a few week long jaunts round various countries each year, such as Germany, Basque country, Hungary, Russia and various other places mainly in Europe and mainly fairly local to the UK, but I've certainly enjoyed it, and I'm wanting to shift abroad full-time for a few years before I'm old enough to say "what if I had done that?", There's no 1 particular place I want to goto, but a whole list of them. USA/Canada has always been a bit of a dream of mine, along with places in South America and places in Africa too.

Anyway, After reading various government immigration policy websites, I've come to the conclusion that being a Lorry driver will get me nowhere, I fully expected this with the U.S system, but I'd heard Canada took a far more liberal approach to immigration (whether right or wrong).

Now I'm far from uneducated, but I decided to go round Europe at 15 instead of staying on at school and going to university. So my only real proof of ability is my driving licence (class 1), Although I don't consider this to be a skilled/professional job, I appear unable to find any other type of immigration category to suit my situation, and aparently category C jobs aren't in demand and so I'm unable to even apply for immigration. Am I missing somthing here or should I just leave it and research into elsewhere?

Sorry to be a bore, and apologies if I'm being more than a little stupid.

Many thanks in advance.
Jim
Hello Jef,

I'm in China now, but my last place of residence was Texas. My family is there, and I still own a house there. My guy and my horse are there also. So technically, I'm still a Texan.

Anyway, truck drivers are always needed in Houston. I am not certain of the immigration requirements, but I could certainly find out for you if you are interested in that area. I know several drivers. I also know that America has its own special way of "getting around" necessary documentation for immigrants.

Where ever you choose to go, GO AHEAD! DO IT! You are right about not putting off your dreams. Of course it won't be easy at first. You are very young. The world is a cold, cruel place for young people. But with a little knowledge and support, and a whole lot of courage you will make it.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 1:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cthlyt
Hello Jef,

I'm in China now, but my last place of residence was Texas. My family is there, and I still own a house there. My guy and my horse are there also. So technically, I'm still a Texan.

Anyway, truck drivers are always needed in Houston. I am not certain of the immigration requirements, but I could certainly find out for you if you are interested in that area. I know several drivers. I also know that America has its own special way of "getting around" necessary documentation for immigrants.

Where ever you choose to go, GO AHEAD! DO IT! You are right about not putting off your dreams. Of course it won't be easy at first. You are very young. The world is a cold, cruel place for young people. But with a little knowledge and support, and a whole lot of courage you will make it.
It is not possible to immigrate to the US solely as a truck driver and from what Jef's said he realises this.

The following maybe of interest to anyone wanting to move to the US:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA
Old Apr 26th 2010, 10:02 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cthlyt
I also know that America has its own special way of "getting around" necessary documentation for immigrants.
OK, I'll bite... like what?
Old Apr 26th 2010, 10:02 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi jef,

Welcome to the site. We've got quite a few members who are trucking in Canada, so if you check out the link that JerseyGirl posted I'm sure you will find lots of posts by members which will give you some pointer and help you get started. We've also got a great wiki that members have contributed to with lots of info about trucking in Canada, so you should stop by and check that out too.

Sue