Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Hello-The first 2 years in Australia

Hello-The first 2 years in Australia

Old Apr 27th 2010, 1:55 am
Just Joined

Kathryn121 is just really niceKathryn121 is just really niceKathryn121 is just really niceKathryn121 is just really niceKathryn121 is just really niceKathryn121 is just really niceKathryn121 is just really niceKathryn121 is just really nice
Default Hello-The first 2 years in Australia

My name is Kathryn and I have just joined this group. My husband and I have been in Australia for 2 years on a Business Owners 163 Visa.

The conditions were we were to start a business, unfortunately the funds were to come from our house sale in the UK, we moved to Australia and had a buyer for the UK house as we left, it was 2 days to exchange of contracts so throught hey let's go. On the plane over we lost the buyer, he could not afford the house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then the recession hit in the UK and it took another 18 months to sell the house at a huge reduction, now the exchange rate is so bad we are not going to bring the money over. We were both working so we were lucky. We kept our spirits up, which let me tell you was really hard at times. there were so many times I thought we had made the wrong move, maybe we should go back.......I think many people have been in this position..

My husband was retrenched due to to the GFC in Australia so I was left working. Everyone kept telling us the first 2 years are the hardest.......well I can confirm that.

Anyway life seems a little brighter at the moment, saying that really quietly......sssshhhhh. We have made some wonderful friends, my husband has finally found a really great job he is happy in, I am in a new position as well with a great company. The company I am working for are desperate to keep me so they are Sponsoring me on to a 121 PR Visa......so here we go again on that merry go round we all call the Visa process.......

I will keep you posted on how we get on on this post.

I thank you all in advance for the help I know this site will provide me.

Kathryn
Old Apr 27th 2010, 2:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello

Hi there Kathryn...welcome to BE.

I'm sorry to read that you lost the buyer for your house...but pleased that things appear to be looking up for you now. I see you've already found your way into our Australia forums but it you need any help please contact a mod or admin...there's usually of of us around 24/7.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 2:38 am
Account Closed

Top Cat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hello

Originally Posted by Kathryn121

My name is Kathryn and I have just joined this group. My husband and I have been in Australia for 2 years on a Business Owners 163 Visa.

The conditions were we were to start a business, unfortunately the funds were to come from our house sale in the UK, we moved to Australia and had a buyer for the UK house as we left, it was 2 days to exchange of contracts so throught hey let's go. On the plane over we lost the buyer, he could not afford the house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then the recession hit in the UK and it took another 18 months to sell the house at a huge reduction, now the exchange rate is so bad we are not going to bring the money over. We were both working so we were lucky. We kept our spirits up, which let me tell you was really hard at times. there were so many times I thought we had made the wrong move, maybe we should go back.......I think many people have been in this position..

My husband was retrenched due to to the GFC in Australia so I was left working. Everyone kept telling us the first 2 years are the hardest.......well I can confirm that.

Anyway life seems a little brighter at the moment, saying that really quietly......sssshhhhh. We have made some wonderful friends, my husband has finally found a really great job he is happy in, I am in a new position as well with a great company. The company I am working for are desperate to keep me so they are Sponsoring me on to a 121 PR Visa......so here we go again on that merry go round we all call the Visa process.......

I will keep you posted on how we get on on this post.

I thank you all in advance for the help I know this site will provide me.

Kathryn
Hi, Sounds like you have had 'real' stressfull times! So pleased that you have managed to stick it out as im sure it will pay off in the end.. (keep at it)..

Try to be positive and if you get low just pay a visit here and share with those who know how you are feeling

The very best of luck to you

Top Cat