Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Hello from Tel Aviv

Hello from Tel Aviv

Old Jul 27th 2010, 5:14 am
Just Joined

carmelmike is just really nicecarmelmike is just really nicecarmelmike is just really nicecarmelmike is just really nicecarmelmike is just really nicecarmelmike is just really nicecarmelmike is just really nicecarmelmike is just really nice
Smile Hello from Tel Aviv

Hello all. I'm Mike Carmel, originally from Liverpool but living in the Holy Land for 30 years already so I'm not sure if I really fit into the ExPat category but I came across this site and decided to contribute.
I see that no-one in the community is living in Israel, which doesn't really surprise me, so I'll get some thoughts together and bang out an article within the next few days to tell you what it's like here.
I do visit the old country now and then, and the longer I'm away from it the more I want to go back and visit even though it's changed a lot since I left in 1980.
OK then - I'll write something a.s.a.p........and meanwhile best wishes to everyone.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 6:19 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello from Tel Aviv

Originally Posted by carmelmike
Hello all. I'm Mike Carmel, originally from Liverpool but living in the Holy Land for 30 years already so I'm not sure if I really fit into the ExPat category but I came across this site and decided to contribute.
I see that no-one in the community is living in Israel, which doesn't really surprise me, so I'll get some thoughts together and bang out an article within the next few days to tell you what it's like here.
I do visit the old country now and then, and the longer I'm away from it the more I want to go back and visit even though it's changed a lot since I left in 1980.
OK then - I'll write something a.s.a.p........and meanwhile best wishes to everyone.
Hi Mike, and Welcome to BE. I've had a quick look round and things about Isreal do seem a bit thin on the ground.

We have a middle east section and you might consider typing Israel into the search facility. Word of warning though, this will bring up a wide variety of threads and may not always be relevant but worth a dig I should think.

Look forward to you next entry.

I think 30 years away makes you very much an EXPAT.

Alistair.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 7:22 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Mike of course you fit into the expat forum.

welcome
Old Jul 27th 2010, 12:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome.

Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself. My husband is a Wooly Back. We can see the tower from my MIL's house.

I see our concierge alistairboyle has kindly given you the link to our ME Forums. Just to follow on from the info he's given you...if you use the search function (located in the pink bar at the top of the page)...go to advance search. At the left hand side of the page put in 'Israel' then choose search 'thread titles' only...this will narrow your search down. If you wish you can search 'all posts'...but that will throw up much wider info.

We have a team of concierges who will act as your tour guides to direct you around the website. You can find a list of their names at the bottom right hand side of this page.

All other questions, problems or concerns should be addressed to a moderator. The moderators for the ME forums are Bob, NorthernLad and rowell Although if they are not around any of the mods will be more than pleased to help you...there's usually one of us around 24/7.

Please give me a shout if I can help you with anything and I look forward to seeing you around the forums.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 8:13 am
Just Joined

carmelmike is just really nicecarmelmike is just really nicecarmelmike is just really nicecarmelmike is just really nicecarmelmike is just really nicecarmelmike is just really nicecarmelmike is just really nicecarmelmike is just really nice
Unhappy Re: Hello from Tel Aviv

Hi Jerseygirl,
Thanks very much for the advice and guidance.
Looking in there I see that there is a lot of anti-Israel stuff in the forum after that incident in Gaza last month but also some more enlightened comments.
I'm not sure if I want to get into any of those arguments really - I'm not a member of the Israeli government, I just live here and know what it's like to have horrible neighbours like Hamas as my daughter was badly injured in a suicide bombing in 2003 so no-one can convince me otherwise.
The reason I joined this community is because my daughter is now in New Zealand and I wanted to get a bit of perspective on life down there from people who have experienced it.
Thanks again.
Mike
Old Jul 28th 2010, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
Hi Mike, and Welcome to BE. I've had a quick look round and things about Isreal do seem a bit thin on the ground.

We have a middle east section and you might consider typing Israel into the search facility. Word of warning though, this will bring up a wide variety of threads and may not always be relevant but worth a dig I should think.

Look forward to you next entry.

I think 30 years away makes you very much an EXPAT.

Alistair.
Thanks very much Alistair.
Most of the stuff referring to Israel is anti-Israel anyway.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 2:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jerseygirl,
Thanks very much for the advice and guidance.
Looking in there I see that there is a lot of anti-Israel stuff in the forum after that incident in Gaza last month but also some more enlightened comments.
I'm not sure if I want to get into any of those arguments really - I'm not a member of the Israeli government, I just live here and know what it's like to have horrible neighbours like Hamas as my daughter was badly injured in a suicide bombing in 2003 so no-one can convince me otherwise.
The reason I joined this community is because my daughter is now in New Zealand and I wanted to get a bit of perspective on life down there from people who have experienced it.
Thanks again.
Mike

I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter's injuries.

Here is the link to our New Zealand forums...please feel free to join in any of the threads in there.

If you find you're having problems finding your way around the forums and need someone to point you in the right direction...please contact one of the concierges for the NZ forums...Dewb09 or Vialstatistix.

The mods for the NZ forums are Bevs and Am Loolah. Please give one of these lovely ladies a shout if there is anything you are concerned about while using the NZ forums.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 10:37 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mike

Welcome to BE.
I travelled Isreal a few years ago and at that time found it a beautiful place in many ways. However the current situation is too volatile for me. I certainly look forward to reading what you have to say as you are living it and I am only believing what I think it is like.
My heart goes out to your daughter and your family - the actions of terrorists are horrific - having been involved in the aftermath of London, I can really empathise. I hope she has managed to recover and get her life fully back now.

I hope you can find all the information you want on the NZ forum.

All the best

Dread - x
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 10:18 am
Just Joined

guvvy is an unknown quantity at this point

hello mike,i was on a kibbutz many years ago and did really have a good time and travelled to many parts of the country even climbed the snake path to the top of masada in 50 digree heat whilst watching an F18 jet fighter fly past me and got a wave from the pilot as we were both at eye level ,i have so many fond memories if only i was 19 again