Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Anyone else out there?! Moving to Oahu, Hawaii.

Anyone else out there?! Moving to Oahu, Hawaii.

Old Jul 31st 2010, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

charli_T87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone else out there?! Moving to Oahu, Hawaii.

Hi everyone!!

OK, so i know i haven't moved out there yet but...My husband of 2days is in the USAF, he is currently based at Menwith hill, he is being posted to Hickam AFB on Oahu, Hawaii. Now, i am British and was wondering if there are any other Brits at that base, as i have read some quite upsetting posts that nobody really talks to the Brits, i get i will be a minority which is quite strange to think!

So if anyone is at Hickam or any of the other bases on Oahu, let me know!!

Thanks,

Old Jul 31st 2010, 7:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone else out there?!

Originally Posted by charli_T87
Hi everyone!!

OK, so i know i haven't moved out there yet but...My husband of 2days is in the USAF, he is currently based at Menwith hill, he is being posted to Hickam AFB on Oahu, Hawaii. Now, i am British and was wondering if there are any other Brits at that base, as i have read some quite upsetting posts that nobody really talks to the Brits, i get i will be a minority which is quite strange to think!

Thanks,

Hello...welcome to BE and congratulations.

We do have a few members who live in Oahu...they don't seem to frequent the forums much...probably enjoying Paradise instead. What a fabulous place to live...I love Hawaii. Don't worry about not meeting up with Brits on the base...you've found us now for your daily Brit fix.

Why don't you pop over to our US Forums and take a look around? Keep an eye open for EnglishTart...her son and his lovely wife are posted in Oahu.

If you require any assistance finding your way around the forums we have a team of concierges who will act as your tour guide. You can find a list of their names at the bottom right hand side of this page.

If you have any problems or concerns please contact a mod or admin. The mods for the US forums are Bob and MsElui. Although you can contact any mod or admin...there is usually one of us around 24/7. There is at least one moderator assigned to each forum...their names can be found on the bottom right hand side of that forum's index page. Mods' names are written in bold font and concierge's names in standard font.

I hope you enjoy your time with us.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 31st 2010 at 7:11 pm. Reason: 'y' key stopped working
Old Jul 31st 2010, 10:46 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone else out there?!

Hi everyone!!

Thanks,

Congratulations on your recent marriage, and welcome to BE.

I wouldn't worry too much about being in the minority, most of us in the USA are, for instance I rarely meet another Brit. However saying that everywhere I go someone comments on my accent and I've yet to meet anyone who has been anti-British so I think you will be just fine. And you need not to miss your British humour fix as you've found BE now!

Pop over to the USA forum and start digging in. I'm sure you will make lots of friends here.

Good luck with the move and once again congratulations on your new life as a married couple
Old Aug 1st 2010, 7:00 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone else out there?! Moving to Oahu, Hawaii.

Hi Charli

Welcome to BE.
I see you have been pointed to the right forum, where I am sure you will find some folks in the same area as you.
If you need any help navigating the site, come back onto here and let us know and we'll try our best to help.
My advcie to you is to jump in get posting and enjoy the fun.

Good luck with your move - I am sure you will be fine - what a place !!

Dread - x
Old Aug 1st 2010, 9:08 am
Just Joined

charli_T87 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all so much for your kind words & advice!

I can see i have found something very good in this website!

Old Aug 2nd 2010, 4:34 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all so much for your kind words & advice!

I can see i have found something very good in this website!

Hi Charli

Our pleasure !
By the way once you have made a third post you will be able to use the private messaging side of the forum, which is great if you want to build up with friends in your area as you can then message one to one.

Go for it and enjoy.

Dread - x
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 11:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Charli

Welcome to BE and to married (military) life

My hubby is recently retired AF, we are now in SC where he still works for the AF, but as a civillian now. My oldest Son is in the Navy, he is stationed out there in Hawaii, he has been there coming on for two years, so if you want some info on the area etc, you can PM me and I will give you their email addy

They love it out there (him and his wife) the only negative thing I have heard, is that some natives don't really like the US Military, it really won't make any difference if you are a Brit or a USC, if they don't like the military, they won't care!

Keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on.