Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Hello from NeonHippy

Hello from NeonHippy

Old Sep 13th 2014, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

NeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hello from NeonHippy

Hi, my wife and I will be retiring at the end of the year and are seriously thinking of relocating to Malaysia. We've spent the last 12 months seriously planning our escape but when we take the plunge will need some guiding hands. Reading the BE forums have really helped but it will be better if I can post questions and as we become more experienced help others.
Old Sep 14th 2014, 12:45 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello from NeonHippy

Hello there and welcome to the forum

I presume you have discovered the Malaysia section of the forum? I hope so. Well, when you have some questions, feel free to post them in that section, and we shall try and help you out. Which part of Malaysia are you thinking of moving to?

I early-retired to Thailand in 2007. That didn't really work out and we moved on to Penang in 2010... so far so good
Old Sep 14th 2014, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

NeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond repute

Hello bakedbean,
Yes, I've found the Malaysia section and your very useful redirection to the MM2H forum thank you.
Our story sounds a little similar to yours. ~twenty years ago I was working with a number of Swedish contractors, some of which would work throughout Europe & N America through the summer months and then over winter in Thailand. I became very friendly with their supervisor who introduced me to Thai food (instant love affair) and then acted as our guide the first time the wife and I visited Thailand. We go back most years and use it as a stepping stone to visit other countries in S E Asia. It was always the dream to retire to Thailand and last December with 12 months to go we went there specifically to look at property and talk to realtors and lawyers to get the full low down.
I'd always known that the way to 'own' a house involved setting up a Thai company (or have a Thai Wife) but it was only then that we realised that this was actually somewhat illegal and depending on which faction was in government at the time could become a problem.
That is when we started looking for alternatives and came across the MM2H program. It seems a number of ex-pats are moving south due to the political situation in Thailand and the MM2H visa is so much more friendly than having to report to the police every 90 days.
My wife did have some reservations about living in the tropics and believes there is a reason the trees are described as 'rain forest'. So we visited Malaysia in July, travelling down the west coast stopping at Langkawi, Penang, Melaka and finishing up in Singapore. The weather was fine throughout much to my relief. Lagkawi was too much of a holiday destination, Penang we were staying on Jalang McAllister for the hawker food and didn't get to see much of the area where ex-pats live. Melaka was lovely down by the riverside, the street bars and restaurants were like being in the Mediterranean. But one small centre does not make a lifestyle and i didn't find much outside of the centre. So we are planning a return in January for a month to split our time between Penang and KL although I think Penang will win out.

Last edited by NeonHippy; Sep 14th 2014 at 1:15 pm. Reason: Spelling correction
Old Sep 14th 2014, 1:25 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Spending a month will be sensible and January is great weather on the west side of the peninsula. Ah well, see you over in the Malaysia section of,the forum.