Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Hello Everyone

Hello Everyone

Old May 29th 2011, 11:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Hello Everyone

Hi,

I'm a British citizen living in the US. I'm currently in graduate school and plan to move back to the UK next year when I graduate. I left the UK when I was a little girl (5 years old to be exact) so moving back seems quite daunting at the moment. My plan is to find a job before making the big move.

I look forward to getting great advice as my knowledge of the place of my birth is quite limited (unfortunately). I look forward to chatting with everyone.
Old May 30th 2011, 1:40 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello Everyone

Originally Posted by Brigette
Hi,

I'm a British citizen living in the US. I'm currently in graduate school and plan to move back to the UK next year when I graduate. I left the UK when I was a little girl (5 years old to be exact) so moving back seems quite daunting at the moment. My plan is to find a job before making the big move.

I look forward to getting great advice as my knowledge of the place of my birth is quite limited (unfortunately). I look forward to chatting with everyone.
Hello Brigette...a very warm welcome to BE.

It must be very daunting moving back to the UK after spending most of your life in the US. Are you moving back with family or on your own...and where in the UK to you wish to move to?

We have an excellent forum for Brits moving back to the UK...our Moving Back To The UK Forum. The people who post in there are a fantastic crowd of very helpful and supportive members. So if you post any questions you may have regarding the move home I'm sure you get some helpful replies. Also take a look in the BE Wiki.

As you are currently living in the US you may wish to take a look at our US Forums. Do you have US citizenship? If not it's well worth obtaining before you leave the US...that way it leaves the door open should you want to return.

We have a team of concierges who will act as your tour guides if you need help navigating your way through the many BE forums. You can find a list of our concierge's at the bottom right hand side of this forum's index page.

Any problems or concerns should be addressed to a moderator...you can find the mod's name at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index page. Moderators' names are in bold print and concierges' names are in standard print.

Welcome once again and should you need help with anything please don't hesitate to shout out. Good luck.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 30th 2011 at 1:42 am.
Old May 30th 2011, 1:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Hi Jerseygirl,

I am moving back on my own which makes it even more scary. I would prefer to live in London or just outside of London, but I think it will depend on where my job is. Thanks so much for the link, I think I will copy my intro post to the Moving Back to the UK Forum. NO I don't have US citizenship yet, but I did get all my paperwork together. I just have to file. I am a resident so getting my US citizenship will not be a problem (the only problem will be the time frame) It is suppose to take a year, but we all know that it usually takes longer than a year... but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Thanks for the excellent advice
Old May 30th 2011, 1:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jerseygirl,

I am moving back on my own which makes it even more scary. I would prefer to live in London or just outside of London, but I think it will depend on where my job is. Thanks so much for the link, I think I will copy my intro post to the Moving Back to the UK Forum. NO I don't have US citizenship yet, but I did get all my paperwork together. I just have to file. I am a resident so getting my US citizenship will not be a problem (the only problem will be the time frame) It is suppose to take a year, but we all know that it usually takes longer than a year... but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Obtaining citizenship is now taking around 3/6 months. I suppose it depends on what area your case is sent to and how much digging into your past they have to do. My daughter was 21 when she applied and it took 3 months from start to finish...ours took 6 months. Get the paperwork sorted and get it in the mail...it's a great asset to have...especially for someone of your age.

You'll love our MBTTUK forums...you'll get loads of help from the people who post in there.
Old May 30th 2011, 2:06 am
BE Enthusiast

wow it only takes 3-6 months? Really? well in that case, yes, I better get a move on it and pronto! Thanks so much for the info.
Old May 30th 2011, 2:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

wow it only takes 3-6 months? Really? well in that case, yes, I better get a move on it and pronto! Thanks so much for the info.
Once you become a USC...apply for your US passport immediately. As a USC you are required to leave and enter the US using your US passport. As you wish to enter the UK as a UK resident you will use your UK PP to enter the UK...otherwise you will be admitted as a visitor and you will not be entitled to several benefits that UK citizens are entitled to.
Old May 30th 2011, 3:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Once you become a USC...apply for your US passport immediately. As a USC you are required to leave and enter the US using your US passport. As you wish to enter the UK as a UK resident you will use your UK PP to enter the UK...otherwise you will be admitted as a visitor and you will not be entitled to several benefits that UK citizens are entitled to.
Will do. Thanks for the tip
Old May 30th 2011, 5:46 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with your move !
Old May 30th 2011, 6:33 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jerseygirl,

Did either of your parents naturalize before you turned 18 years old?
Old May 30th 2011, 6:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by meauxna
Did either of your parents naturalize before you turned 18 years old?
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...1&postcount=11
Old May 30th 2011, 8:03 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Brigette

Welcome to BE and hope you are finding your feet in the Moving back to the UK forum.
I am sure you will find lots of good advoce and tips on there, and have fun making friends as well.
Good luck with your move

Dread - x
Old May 30th 2011, 9:22 pm
Just Joined

MrsAndMr is just really niceMrsAndMr is just really niceMrsAndMr is just really niceMrsAndMr is just really niceMrsAndMr is just really niceMrsAndMr is just really niceMrsAndMr is just really niceMrsAndMr is just really nice

Hi Brigette,

We're going the other way, we'll wave as we go past.

What are you studying? Are you planning on going into academia?

Good luck,
Joe