Hello!

Old Mar 30th 2022, 11:43 am
Just Joined

Jumbo1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello!

Hi guys just wanna say found this forum when looking for advice from British folk living in different countries. I want to leave UK but not certain where yet just don't want to live here anymore, its always something I wanted to do and I figure no time like the present to start figuring out where and to start planning!

I've a few places I'm considering but am not decided so I hope it's okay to post in more then 1 country forum? Cheers!
Old Mar 30th 2022, 5:10 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello!

Welcome to BE

We do ask all new members to have a quick read of the forum rules https://britishexpats.com/site-rules/ and should you have any site related problems, please contact one of the moderators, names in bold at the bottom right of each forum page.

Please have a read about the visa requirements for any country you are interested in as that will greatly affect your decision, some are easier than others, with the US usually being the hardest. Before Brexit I would have just said the EU as that was so easy to move to, however those countries are now difficult.
Old Mar 30th 2022, 5:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jumbo, welcome to BE.

You can usually find me over the US forum, though I do wander around the globe from time to time, at least within the BE forum.

Originally Posted by mikelincs
..., some are easier than others, with the US usually being the hardest. ...
By reputation that is true, and yet the UK is consistently one of the largest contributors of immigrants into the US each year, which is why the UK is one of only a handful of countries that has never been allowed to participate in the annual diversity visa program aka the green card lottery. The others are all much larger countries, such as India, China, Indonesia, Brazil, Mexico, and Russia.

So there are legit ways for a Brit to get into the US, it just depends how and whether you can fit yourself and your life into one of the allowed routes. By all accounts Canada is easier though.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 30th 2022 at 5:46 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2022, 7:08 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jumbo1
Hi guys just wanna say found this forum when looking for advice from British folk living in different countries. I want to leave UK but not certain where yet just don't want to live here anymore, its always something I wanted to do and I figure no time like the present to start figuring out where and to start planning!

I've a few places I'm considering but am not decided so I hope it's okay to post in more then 1 country forum? Cheers!
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
Language is an important factor and ideally, you should be able to communicate with the "locals" in your chosen country, whether you'll be working or retired. To avoid the language issue in the EU, you could consider the Republic of Ireland.....
If you'll be looking to work in the Continental EU, be aware that potential employers can only "sponsor" you in your Visa application if they haven't been able to find a national or EU candidate. Non-working Visas for non-EU, i.e. UK citizens, require proof of minimum income and private health insurance until you can enter the national S.S. System.
You could post again at the bottom of the general "Europe" section, to avoid posting in several country forums, but if you don't speak any European languages, then maybe you should consider, if not Ireland, then another English-speaking country, depending on your line of work which will determine whether a Visa is possible.
What's your line of work? Make sure that your qualifications are acceptable in your chosen country, you may need to retrain.
HTH
Old Apr 2nd 2022, 3:09 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the welcome!

I'm a former backpacker went travelling as a teenager and in my early 20s, I've also done volunteering abroad, I guess you could say I was a bit of a "hippie", I've travelled to countries in Europe Asia, Africa and North America. I settled back in UK when I had my baby.

I didn't go college or uni so have no real qualifications asides from some online courses I did over the years. I did temping for agencies when younger everything from Admin to Care jobs to fund my travelling, and after I didn't work for years my now ex provided for us as I raised my boy.

Now he's grown he doesn't need me like he used to I'm in a dead end job and find myself a bit lost, he tells me to do what I love and follow my heart because he can take care of himself and he wants to leave home in a couple of years, he's already gotten a part time job and is planning to get a place with his friend once they leave college and be independent.

Once that happens I see no reason to stick around if he won't be here. I don't own any property so I'll have to move to somewhere smaller anyway as rents are high in London and it'll be a waste paying for this place if I'm living alone, I'll likely move out of the city altogether.

I know my prospects aren't great I've no degrees not much money and I'm not a spring chicken either. But I'm still full of optimism and find that thrill of wanderlust and the unknown resurfacing as it did when I was young and I want to travel again.

I want to travel but ultimately I'm looking for a place I can call home and my son can visit me and maybe I can even convince him to move to one day tho right now he's a london boy through and through he loves this city, I personally don't and can't wait to be shot of it. He's the only reason I'm still here.

I also want a warmer climate with sunshine and beaches. I've lived in Spain on and off in my teens and speak some Spanish and hope to continue to learn it, so an English or Spanish speaking country would be okay for language.

I also want a place full of opportunities. I want to be an entrepreneur and would want a place I can continue that so would prefer a developed country with little political instability and corruption. I wouldn't leave the UK until I've saved enough money to live elsewhere for at least a year including health insurance and such so no risk really just an adventure and if it pays off then great! If not back to UK it is.

Visa situation is tough yes, I had considered Ireland and its still on my bucketlist, not to live longterm but it's somewhere different to go to live and work while I save up for a longer term move to sunnier climates. Scotland was my first choice I've been there and love it but Ireland is not in the UK so it appeals to me more.

I've been to the USA but never wanted to live there, great place to visit tho. My current first choice is Panama. It's warm they speak spanish and very easy to get residency with minimal funds, but I'm open to other suggestions and still looking.

I do love New Zealand, never been there but I just know I'd love it. Probably the most difficult place to get residency tho so I'm gonna pass. I also love the continent of Africa. I had considered coastal English speaking countries like Gambia and Ghana but I haven't yet looked into how I could start a business there successfully.

I'm also very interested in the Caribbean, and tropical islands in general. ​​​

Last edited by Jumbo1; Apr 2nd 2022 at 3:12 am.
Old Apr 2nd 2022, 9:19 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest moving firstly to Ireland, long enough to acquire Irish Nationality, after which you'd have no visa problems moving to Spain, for example. It would also be closer to the UK than Panama, for your son to visit!
All the best for realising your dream!
Old Apr 3rd 2022, 3:10 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dmu
I would suggest moving firstly to Ireland, long enough to acquire Irish Nationality, after which you'd have no visa problems moving to Spain, for example. It would also be closer to the UK than Panama, for your son to visit!
All the best for realising your dream!
Thanks dmu! Definitely something to think about with Ireland because I lived Spain and really would totally move there. Wish I had looked around the site first because I just did and see there's not much of a section for countries like Panama it's more a 1st World countries crowd here lol