Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Englishman moving to the United States (Already citizen)

Englishman moving to the United States (Already citizen)

Old Oct 14th 2014, 11:40 pm
Just Joined

PieGuy is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Englishman moving to the United States (Already citizen)

Hi,

I've been lurking on the forums for a while and with my move imminent I thought I would finally make myself an account

My Mother is American and my Father from England, they were kind enough to make sure I had dual nationality. I took a degree in journalism and was offered a job straight out of university, unfortunately the magazine (which I had interned with) was bought by another publisher and they could no longer offer me that position during the transition stage. I made the considered decision to have a go of it abroad and got my American passport renewed at the American embassy in London. Friday morning I'll be taking my flight over where I'll be landing in Washington Dulles and will make my way to Virginia.

I've visited America frequently due to having a lot of family over there so I'm familiar with various states in the country (though not intimately). Now is the time in the life to take advantage of my dual nationality and make a go of it.

I'm fortunate to have the opportunity to stay with my Aunt during the time I sort out state driving license, getting a phone and proving residency etc. My Uncle unfortunately has been diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease so my thinking was I could assist them at the same time.

I've been applying to many jobs in the area while at home and it has been hit and miss though I have some job interviews etc. The biggest issue has been not having the state specific license and searching for a job that could provide proper benefits.

I'm hesitant to leave everything I know but at the same time if I don't this opportunity I can see myself regretting not doing it too.

Anyways this has been far too self-indulgent. Just thought it would be nice to get involved in the community I've spent so much time reading from.

So yes, hi!
Old Oct 15th 2014, 7:58 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Englishman moving to the United States (Already citizen)

Hi, sounds like you have a good basis to start with and some support so as you say go for it. good luck
Old Oct 15th 2014, 8:31 am
Just Joined

PieGuy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you!
Old Oct 16th 2014, 12:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE and good luck!

Though networking via LinkedIn is probably going to be one of the best tools for you to use