Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

ExPat or Non ExPat

ExPat or Non ExPat

Old Oct 16th 2014, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

SKV0001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ExPat or Non ExPat

Good afternoon everyone, I hope that you do not mind my posting as I am still living in the UK.

I am currently in the very early stages of looking at moving from the UK to probably France. Up until a month ago I had never been outside the UK and in-fact it has only been over the past couple of years that I have lent thought to actually moving. Prior to this I was totally British, but have been slowly getting more and more depressed at the overall situation of the UK. Whilst I have no desire to get all political it is fair to say that it most certainly is not the same place that I grew up in.

At 57 I see time as "passing me by" in my normal boring 9-5. (Although more like 6-7 in reality) I have owned my own Shop for the past fifteen years and now life is just a total struggle, robbing peter to pay paul type of life.

I see myself in a Rural location and probably with very little income, so can anyone advise on a very rough "Ballpark" figure as to a Cost of Living. I would envisage savings being around £60,000 so would be looking for some form of income.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 7:03 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ExPat or Non ExPat

Welcome to BE.

Best ask this in the French section France - British Expats

I know the tax laws and buying property over there is very complex, my inlaws had a place over there for a number of years which they are in the process of selling, so you really do need to do lots of research on all aspects of life there. The good people on the French forum will have their experiences and advise to help you out. Good luck
Old Oct 17th 2014, 1:56 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Bonjour

Welcome to BE.

As MrsF suggests, get on over the the France forum and have a mooch about. I am sure the guys in there will be happy to advise you in any way they can.

I'm a moderator for the Europe section, so any problems, please just give me a shout
Old Oct 17th 2014, 6:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

'Allo.

That's quite a major life change you're contemplating, definitely get lots of advice on the France forum.
Old Oct 17th 2014, 12:39 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome to the forum all the best with the idea. I presume you speak French?